2000pts no restrictions with Morathi

Get critiqued on your latest army here...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

2000pts, what units for my warlocks?

2 units of 5?
82%
1 unit of 10?
18%

Total votes: 11

Babnik
Black Guard

2000pts no restrictions with Morathi

Post by Babnik »

Dear Druchii fellows!

It has been a while since I posted outcome from my disturbed mind in terms of list!

Here come Morathi!!!

CHARACTERS
LORD
- Morathi on Sulephet dark pegasus. Lore of Death or Shadow or Dark magic: 375pts
HEROES
- Master BSB on Dark Peg/heavy armour/sdc cloak/cav lance/Rep xbow/shield/twilight cloak: 218pts
- Sorc L1. Lore of Fire. Iron curse icon/dispel scroll: 110pts
CORE
- 21 xbwmen. Musician/shields/standard bearer/eternal flame banner: 303pts
- 5 dark riders. Musician/Rep xbow/Shield: 110pts
- 5 dark riders. Musician/Rep xbow/Shield: 110pts
SPECIAL
- 1 Reapers: 70pts
- 1 Reapers: 70pts
- 1 cold one chariots: 115pts
- 1 cold one chariots: 115pts
- 5 harpies: 75pts
- 5 harpies: 75pts
RARE
- 5 warlocks: 125pts
- 5 warlocks: 125pts
TOTAL 1996pts

About magic:
I found out with an average of 6-7 dices and sometime 1 extra thanks to chanelling (4 dices), I never cast doombolts or soulblight twice. Not enough dice or simply useless.
That's why I thought of gathering the units of warlocks together. What do you think?
Also, Morathi has this unique ability to choose her magic lore between each game, even during a tourney (shadow, death and dark magic) and I remind you she can spread her spells throughout the 3 lores (1 in death, 2 in dm and 1 in shadow for example)
I picked 4 spells from Death when I play against ogres, greenskins and dwarf.
I picked 4 spells from Dark Magic when I play against HE
And against EMpire, I picked spirit leech from Death and 3 others from DM, and the black horror was very effective against their giant armoured turkeys.
But what about shadow? Personally I don't find this lore usefull when used by the main (and only) L4 caster.
What lores against WoC?

Thanks for your input!

French mad Druchii
Our club's facebook page:
Fantastique Bataillon de Joinville
Look for French tourneys pics galleries!
Thraundil
Malekith's Best Friend

Re: 2000pts no restrictions with Morathi

Post by Thraundil »

Well, there are pros and cons of every choice. Since your list is very much a dance around list meant to avoid combat, I'd say go with 2 units of 5 for maximum flexibility. But then, one unit of 10 might pack a massive punch in close combat. Its really personal preference; I normally always split them if I can, since you get 1 extra channel, and losing a unit to panic or an IF'ed magic missile is not such a big deal then. But losing 10 warlocks in one go? No thanks.

As for 4 shadow spells: when you have access to the lore of death on a mobile caster, I wouldnt even dream of considering shadow. Especially not with your list. Or well, I might, to get the withering for your shooters, but... No. 4 death spells vs most opponents, and 1 death 3 dark vs most others. Vs warriors of chaos I'd go with 4 death spells. Snipes maul chariots and their supernasty 1+ characters just fine, trolls dread purple sun. And you have 2 warlock units to cast magic missiles from should you need to, so dark magic is really not needed on the lvl 4.

Do you have any room to swap 1 harpy unit for a shade unit? The option of scouting really adds to board control vs other vanguarding races. Otherwise looks like a solid list. Wither stuff down with magic and shooting. Bam.
Name: Ladry (female)
Class: Mage (Pyromancer)
Equipment: Staff, longsword, dagger, 20 gold, insignia ring.
Skills: Power of Aqshy (2), defensive figthing
WS4, S2, T3, D4, I6.
T.D.
Killed by Khorne
Killed by Khorne
Location: Hinterlands of Khuresh; The Lost City of the Angels

Post by T.D. »

Good to see you active on the boards, Babnik.

I've voted for 2x5 = twice the trouble for your opponent :P
OldHammer Advanced Ruleset
- Adding Tactical Depth to Your Favourite Tabletop Wargame
Dreadlord Scorpio
Trainee Warrior

Post by Dreadlord Scorpio »

I like the option of x2 Doombolt and/or Soulblight plus an extra channel dice. Gives your enemy 2 threats to worry about rather than 1.
High Elves: 8k
WoC: 7k
Dark Elves: 4k
Eldar: 6k
Khaleth Blackheart
Would-be Seerlord or Quack doctor

Post by Khaleth Blackheart »

I would normally say go with two units for many of the reasons listed above.
However I've voted for one unit as I think your list lacks a real combat threat and something to draw all the fire away from Morathi and the rest of the army. Besides I can't see there being enough powerdice about for both units.
Babnik
Black Guard

Post by Babnik »

Thanks for your input Druchii fellows!
Well it looks like my list is ready for next tourney...
Will let you know how it comes.
Dreadlord Scorpio
Trainee Warrior

Post by Dreadlord Scorpio »

Khaleth Blackheart wrote:I would normally say go with two units for many of the reasons listed above.
However I've voted for one unit as I think your list lacks a real combat threat and something to draw all the fire away from Morathi and the rest of the army. Besides I can't see there being enough powerdice about for both units.

If that's the case you can use them both to combat the same unit with a flank charge.

The extra channel and 2 extra casting units is great if Morathi gets killed, or if they focus all fire onto your one unit of 10 and only Morathi is left.

It's a good idea both ways really, but IMO the flexibility/bonuses of 2 units is hard to pass up unless you're going for a bus setup.

OR, take one unit of 10 and one unit of 5! Win/Win!
High Elves: 8k
WoC: 7k
Dark Elves: 4k
Eldar: 6k
marcopollo
Assassin

Post by marcopollo »

Are you sure about the lore of fire. You've already got the banner of eternal flame. Perhaps you might like heavens. The sig has a long range, can still hurt flyers and complement Morathi well.
Babnik
Black Guard

Post by Babnik »

Interesting comment fellow marcopolo...

I used a lot Heaven in ETC compo, but I think this lore is not usable in this list:
- Heaven only with a L4 to grant the right spells.
- A L1 is dedicated to cast the primary spell. Ice shard blizzard is definitely one of the best nuisance of the game, but my list is not meant to sustain long and heavy close combat.
- Fire calls Fire! With flamming banner and fireball, I secure both magic and shooting phase to get rid of trolls, hell pit abo etc...
- Fire ball is a very versatile missile. To take care of the annoying harpies or to destroy any unit shooting units hidden in a building in the other side of the board

Hope above can explain my choice for this L1 fire