Swedish comp 12.8

Get critiqued on your latest army here...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Demetrius
Malekith's Best Friend

Swedish comp 12.8

Post by Demetrius »

Tournament coming up in next weekend, lists are due this weekend. I've only been able to test it once, and it seems pretty decent.

The swedish score is 12.8. Range of the event is 8-13 with 100vps given for every comp difference.

What I really would like thoughts on is the lore on the level 2. Options are either Heavens, Fire or Dark.

Lords

Dreadlord: Giant Blade, Other Tricksters Shard, Dawnstone, HA, SH, SDC, Dark Steed- 277 (-29)

Supreme Sorceress: Level 4, Lore of Metal, Dispel Scroll- 245 (-35)

Heroes

Master: Battle Standard, Dragonhelm, Potion of Strength, Luck Stone, SDC, Halberd, Cold One- 150 (-19)

Sorceress: Level 2, Lore of Heavens, Ring of Hotek, Dark Steed- 175 (-11)

Core

17 Spearmen: Full Command, Gleaming Pennant- 188 (-4)

9 Dark Riders: Full Command, Shields, Repeater Crossbows- 210 (-10)

9 Dark Riders: Full Command, Shields, Repeater Crossbows- 210 (-12)

Special

10 Cold One Knights: Full Command, Banner of Swiftness- 345 (-17)

5 Harpies: 75 (-4)

5 Shades: 80 (-8)

Repeater Bolt Thrower: 70 (-7)

Repeater Bolt Thrower: 70 (-9)

Rare

15 Sisters of Slaughter: Full Command, Razor Standard- 300 (-7)
Olliewood
Shade

Re: Swedish comp 12.8

Post by Olliewood »

I am thinking you might want to consider Fire or work the Flame banner into one of your DR units. Are you worried about regen?
Cheers,
Oli
Mikael.k
Black Guard

Post by Mikael.k »

Yeah, fire or heavens would be great vs many armies. You already have solid combat and shooting and magic (final trans as a nuke spell). Is this 2500pts`?
T.D.
Killed by Khorne
Killed by Khorne
Location: Hinterlands of Khuresh; The Lost City of the Angels

Post by T.D. »

Looks a strong list.

I can see the argument for each lore:

- Dark -- Doombolting things, chance of Hex

- Heavens -- Iceshard Blizzarding things, chance of direct damage

- Fire -- Fireballing things, chance of another S4 set of attacks

-> What best supports the rest of your list?

It seems like a choice between early game offence (Dark, Fire) and early game defence (Iceshard). I'd probably lean towards Heavens as it most complements Metal.

Bon Chance!
OldHammer Advanced Ruleset
- Adding Tactical Depth to Your Favourite Tabletop Wargame
Olliewood
Shade

Post by Olliewood »

I'd probably lean towards Heavens as it most complements Metal.

Hey T.D. just wanted to pick your brain about that statement, could you illustrate your views on the two lores' synergy.
Cheers,
Oli
T.D.
Killed by Khorne
Killed by Khorne

Post by T.D. »

Hey T.D. just wanted to pick your brain about that statement, could you illustrate your views on the two lores' synergy.

With Lv4 Metal he has a good chance of getting (i) 24" direct damage {Flaming} (ii) +2 armour bubble (iii) other direct damage {Flaming} (iv) Unit Nuke {Flaming}

With Fire lv2 he has (i) MM 24/36/48" (5-18 CV) {Flaming} + a chance of other direct damage S4 {Flaming} attacks

With Dark lv2 he has (i) MM 18" (12-24 CV) or (ii) PoD + a chance of hex, DD, vortex

With Heavens lv2 he has (i) Hex 24/48" anti-shooting (7-10 CV) + a small chance of hex or large chance of direct damage

I think that the Heavens combination is a good synergy because of the utility of Iceshard, the low casting values for a support lore in a comped environment, plus the chance of non-flaming direct damage or even the rabbit-out-of-the-hat of Comet. Fire is all flaming attacks and Dark has generally higher casting values. Metal plus Heavens gives you short ranged DD and Nuking plus longer ranged hexing and board control potential.

My statement was also particular to Demetrius' list here and not generally;

- If I was running his list my priority would be not having all my cavalry units shot off the board on enemy turns 1-2.

- Fireball + Flame Cage / Doombolt + Black Horror / Iceshard + Comet would all be good loadouts, but are not guaranteed.
N.I.C.K
Warrior

Post by N.I.C.K »

Being the TO I probably shouldn't be advising you, but it's pre-determined comp anyway not subjective by me and a panel :P

I like your magic set up with the lvl 4 + lvl 2 (warlocks are unplayable in swedish). Lvl 4 metal on foot as you have it is good (I prefer scroll as it really makes a big impact) with ruby ring for an extra MM for elves. The money play though is a lvl 2 on dark with the tome, honestly word of pain single handed won me 3 games at castle assault when playing a lvl 4 dark on steed (other spells were nice but not game changing). The fact that you have a lvl 4 metal to draw out the scroll with big searing doom or final trans early means that you can get word of pain off when it counts.

As for the rest, I really think witches are great, even just a unit of 18 with flaming banner (238pts and 12 on swedish). I question the usefulness of a cold one bus of only 10 models with only 15 sisters as the only other aggressive combat threat which is why I think you need an extra unit like witches to draw fire.
Sangfroid
Executioner

Post by Sangfroid »

I love metal but it's only real failing is no cheap cheap spells to use up odd dice reasonably reliably, therefore I'd suggest lvl 2 goes fire with ruby ring and you aim for any spell except firestorm to compliment 2nd fireball. (Unless you roll flaming sword and flame cage :-)
Demetrius
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Demetrius »

Thanks for the replies guys, some interesting comments!

Olliewood- I'm not too concerned about regen just because throgg+trolls get slammed under swedish, so Im not expecting to see them. Cant have flaming banner on the Dark Riders unfortunately :(

Michael- Its 2400 points

Tyrannus- Interesting analysis of Heavens/ Metal synergy! Everything in Heavens is useful, but not always relevant I guess. Would be great picking up Convergence to either help my shooting or to protect my Knights, Thunderbolt is good and Comet is also great. Hmmm.

On the other hand, Fire has a guaranteed MM in fireball which will help me put on ranged pressure early gamel, flaming sword will help my shooting elements, fire cloak will actually be useful because she will be in the Knights, and Flame Cage is always good. Hmmm. Still can't make up my mind!

Nick- Level 2 with the Tome would be pretty good, but I think that I really need that MR3 on the Knight bus to protect it from Searing Doom and the like, or even Death spells (I'm playing Mitch first round, and he has a flying Death Mage...) Also, not sure about the Witches. To fit them in, I would have to drop a unit of Dark Riders, and I think they bring more to the table in board control and shooting than the Witches bring. What do you think? The Knight bus is pretty tough so can get me points in combat, and people seriously underrate the Sisters and their ability to take on other strong units.

Sangfroid- Yep, cheap fireballs are good to use up those dice. But on the other hand, so is an iceshard or a harmonic convergence... Still can't make up my mind!
ScottyDo
Warrior

Post by ScottyDo »

I'll cast another vote for heavens. I think it's an awesome support lore, and blizzard is arguably the best signature spell in the game.
Demetrius
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Demetrius »

List submitted, ended up going Heavens just because all of the spells are useful, rather than the possibility of getting dud spells in the other lores.

Thans for the help guys!
Mikael.k
Black Guard

Post by Mikael.k »

Be sure to let us know how you did at the tournament :)
N.I.C.K
Warrior

Post by N.I.C.K »

FYI this list came equal 2nd at the event (3rd on VPs countback to WoC). From all accounts Demetrius said that the Cold One Bus was very good.
Demetrius
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Demetrius »

Yep, came 3/30 in the end, super happy with that, could have won it but I made a mistake in the final round that changed a decent win into a 10-10 draw.

The Cold One bus was incredible. The S7 dread lord just killed everything, the potion of strength on the BSB was also great for S8 goodness. I love metal magic, seriously final trans/ plague of rust/ searing doom were all baller. I'm also happy I ended up taking Heavens, iceshard is always useful and made a big impact in a few crucial combats. Could have been level 1 though because I never cast anything else with her.
Jolemai
Executioner

Post by Jolemai »

If you have time, I'd love to read a report of your battles.
Mikael.k
Black Guard

Post by Mikael.k »

To start with, congratulations! :)

That particular dreadlord is usually my MVP aswell, he´s just so good and worth every point and comp you pay for him :) Been looking at the potion of strength/talisman of endurance combo for my BSB that somebody suggested in a thread around here. With a lance he could be hitting with very good strength in 2 rounds of combat should the bus come to a stop. That along with the dreadlords always S7 should prove a match for any foe!

Is there anything you´d change now that you look at your list in hindsight? :) Another lore that could potentially be really good on that level 2 is light. Speed of light, timewarp and pha´s would all be really sweet to have with that bus. Even changing the level 4´s lore to light and having 2 level 1´s with light aswell could give you a council of light that could be the answer to many threats out there (thinking about greaters daemons, deamons in general, VC, and DP´s for instance).
T.D.
Killed by Khorne
Killed by Khorne

Post by T.D. »

Nice result! 8)
Demetrius
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Demetrius »

Thanks guys :)

I don't really have time to write battle reports, sorry!

In terms of changing things, I wouldn't change anything under the comp pack. Everything worked well together and I competed in all phases well. The Shades were a bit lacklustre, but served a role. The Sisters weren't as great as I'd like, but I should have been more conservative with them rather than throwing them away a couple of times, and also they are worth nothing on Swedish so they would probably stay. I definitely would't change from Metal on the level 4, its by far my favourite lore and IMO the second strongest in the game.
Mikael.k
Black Guard

Post by Mikael.k »

Used your list as a base and adapted it to fit my playstyle and 2500pts instead of 2400pts. Pretty much traded the sisters for a unit of BG and dropped the shades for additional bodies. Also made some changes in the core section aswell as giving my level 4 the opal amulet :). A small modification on the BSB as I gave him a lance and traded the SDC for HA+shield to save one point of comp since I can have that 1+ save due to dropping the halberd. The lord got himself some pew pew in form of brace of handbows. Gave the level 2 lore of light instead with those awesome buffs for that bus, but thats more a matter of taste since I´ve had great sucess with the lore of heavens also.

Lords
Dreadlord: Giant Blade, Other Tricksters Shard, Dawnstone, HA, SH, SDC, Brace of Rptr Handbows, Dark Steed- 287 (-29)

Supreme Sorceress: Level 4, Lore of Metal, Dispel Scroll, Opal Amulet- 260 (-35)

Heroes
Master: Battle Standard, Dragonhelm, Potion of Strength, Luck Stone, HA, Shield, Lance, Cold One- 154 (-18)

Sorceress: Level 2, Lore of Light, Ring of Hotek, Dark Steed- 175 (-11)

Core
23 Darkshards: Full Command, Shields, Gleaming Pennant- 334 (-10)

9 Dark Riders: Full Command, Shields - 183 (-6)

6 Dark Riders: Musican, Shields - 112 (-6)

Special
10 Cold One Knights: Full Command, Banner of Swiftness- 345 (-17)

24 Black Guard: Full Command, Razor Standard- 435 (-21)

5 Harpies: 75 (-4)

Repeater Bolt Thrower: 70 (-7)

Repeater Bolt Thrower: 70 (-9)

Total: 2500

Comp: 12,7