Morathi goes to war against the undead! 2400 no comp

Get critiqued on your latest army here...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

ras830
Slave (off the Altar)

Morathi goes to war against the undead! 2400 no comp

Post by ras830 »

Hey guys!

I'm playing UL this Friday which is the first time ever. I'm was planing on taking a Supreme on a pegasus with lore of death but i figured that the extra points for Morathi would be worth it because of the casting bonus and what not. Plus I really like the model! The plan is to use the spears as a sponge against charges and then flank with knights, chariot or WE. The plan with Morathi is to fly around his army sniping out the most lethal and then hex him with warlocks.

+ Lords +

Morathi (375pts)

+ Heroes +

Master (147pts) [Battle Standard Bearer (25pts), Cold One (12pts), Heavy Armor (4pts), Sea Dragon Cloak (6pts)]
····Banner or Magic items (30pts)
········Magic Items (100 pts) (30pts)
············Magic Weapons (30pts) [Sword of Anti-Heroes (30pts)]

+ Core +

Dark Riders (100pts)
····5x Dark Riders (100pts) [5x Repeater Crossbows (15pts), 5x Shield (5pts)]

Darkshards (130pts)
····10x Darkshards (130pts) [10x Shield (10pts)]

Darkshards (130pts)
····10x Darkshards (130pts) [10x Shield (10pts)]

Dreadspears (300pts) [30x Dreadspears (270pts), Lordling (10pts), Musician (10pts), Standard Bearer (10pts)]

Witch Elves (175pts) [Musician (10pts), 15x Witch Elves (165pts)]

+ Special +

Cold One Chariot (115pts)

Cold One Knights (290pts) [9x Cold One Knights (270pts), Musician (10pts), Standard bearer (10pts)]

Reaper Bolt Thrower (70pts)

Reaper Bolt Thrower (70pts)

Shades (190pts)
····10x Shades with great weapon and light armour

War Hydra (180pts) [Fiery Breath (20pts)]

+ Rare +

5x Doomfire Warlocks (125pts)

Again this is the first time i ever play UL and i've been thinking about substituting all the spear points for Witches, but since he's UL, then i'm afraid that he will gun them down before they reach combat. So what do you guys think? Am i missing something or just if you have some tips and tricks to go against UL. Any help will be munch appreciated! :D
Coop
Dark Rider

Re: Morathi goes to war against the undead! 2400 no comp

Post by Coop »

It might be worth it to go for witches instead of spears. Vampire Counts don't have shooting so if he does have any it will be from tomb kings. They hit on 5s or 6s always and then have to roll to wound. Witches don't get a save whereas the spears get the 5+, but I think the difference will be when the witches get into combat, they'll kill significantly more skeletons or ghouls or whatever than will the spears. I've used two units of 14 witches (7 x 2) before against low armor/toughness units (shaven) and they have been excellent. I'd say you might as well go for the better low infantry killers in witches.

Plus, I don't think 30 spears is necessarily large enough to be an effective tarpit on its own.