750 point Border patrol with house rules

Get critiqued on your latest army here...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Venomblades
Shade

750 point Border patrol with house rules

Post by Venomblades »

Hey guys. Got a 750 mini tourney coming up in 24 days, 3 games in one night. posting like crazy on here lately so sorry to clog up the forums haha. House rules are a bit different and here are the rules:

- Your army must include at least 1 hero, who acts as the army general.
- Remember, minimum of 3 units are required.
- No lord characters are allowed.
- No special or named characters (including named champions).
- You may include up to either 2 special or 1 special and 1 rare unit.
- No duplicate special unit choices.
- Units cannot take magic standards.
- You may only include one war machine or chariot.
- Bretonnians do not need a battle standard bearer.

So, my list looks like this:

Master (GENERAL)
+HA
+SDC
+Shield
+Cold One
+Talisman of Endurance
+Charmed Shield

5 Dark Riders
+Shields
+Crossbows
+musician

5 Dark Riders
+Shields
+Crossbows
+musician

8 Cold One Knights
+Full command

5 Doomfire Warlocks

Quite a fast list and very manuverable. Theres a few capture objective scenarios, so with this fast pace list i shouldn't have a drama, as long as my cold Ones tow the line!

What do you think?
Ajattaro
Executioner

Re: 750 point Border patrol with house rules

Post by Ajattaro »

You got your while army depending on single Ld9 test. Not a good thing, that is surely going to hurt you. Ld9 test fails about 1-2 times PER game.

How about dropping couple CoKs abd putting general on pegasus? 4++ and charmed shield, or CoT would be good. You could get another mobile unit then too. Pegasus can join any of your units too. Its not fast cavalry though.

Otherwise, really nice list :). Another possible way of changing your list is adding more magic. Mounted soeceress could power your magic really well, is magic is not comped. If you got warlocks, you only got two spells, and opponent takes out the worst one every turn. Warlocks are great even without casting though
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Daeron »

By my calculations, you're at 744 points. Some refinements:
- Did you forget to note the Lance on the Master, which is 6 points?
- You can not have both the shield and charmed shield, I think. AFAIK the charmed shield also functions as a shield after it loses its one use ability.
- You could give the Master a Dark Steed instead of Cold One. The Master still keeps a 1+ AS, while gaining fast cav rules. This makes it possible to have him join the other cavalry (or flee to them) without them losing the fast cav ability. This doesn't prohibit the Master from joining the COKs either.

Unfortunately, there is little than can be done with those 4 points. However, I too would consider dropping COKs to upgrade the kit on the Master. The pegasus build would be interesting. But you can also drop a single COK to give the Master a 4++ and the charmed shield, for example.
I love me a bowl of numbers to crunch for breakfast. If you need anything theoryhammered, I gladly take requests.

Furnace of Arcana, a warhammer blog with delusional grandeur.

"I move unseen. I hide in light and shadow. I move faster than a bird. No plate of armour ever stopped me. I strike recruits and veterans with equal ease. And all shiver at my coldest of whispers."
- The stiff breeze
Venomblades
Shade

Post by Venomblades »

Believe it or not, i did consider my master on a peg with the CoT + Lance.
As for a second sorcerer. I assume she would a standard Lvl 1 within a DR unit and take a scroll? Could easily find those points from dropping some CoK's.
Ajattaro
Executioner

Post by Ajattaro »

Yeah, maybe lvl1 or 2, if you like and find points. You could select Beasts, because Wyssans would be great for your units. It is great combined with soul blight.

At this level of points, some armies dont even bother taking magic, and then maybe scroll might be waste. In the other hand, magic is really strong in small games if its not comped any way. MR1/2 talisman with warlocks is nice combo too.

I think that its best to put your master on DS too. Maybe you can field 2 DS mounted characters in this list by reducing CoKs or something. Adding that soorceress really isnt necessary.
Venomblades
Shade

Post by Venomblades »

Hmmm, looking at the list, with a pegmaster in i'm sure another possibility is dropping the CoK's for a hydra? Ive read that Hydra's at low point games as such are pure gold.

Views there?

But, my changes have been done. I have now mounted my master on a peg with CoT and Lance with full mundane armour.
Ajattaro
Executioner

Post by Ajattaro »

Taking hydra would be good choice too, especially with pegmaster. It would free up more points quite a lot.
Venomblades
Shade

Post by Venomblades »

Ok, so i've reviewed my list and re-written it.

I want you opinion on how this looks, and C&C would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Heroes:

Master (General )
+Full mundane armour
+CoT
+Peg
+Halberd

Master
+Full mundane armour
+AoD
+Halberd
+Peg

Core:

5 Dark Riders
+Full command
+Xbows
+Shields

5 Dark Riders
+Full command
+Xbows
+Shields

Rare:

5 Doomfire Warlocks.

So, i have a quite fast army, very avoidable and my master's are quite durable. With the house rules in place, it only means an enemy army can only bring 1 war machine, which in turn takes pressure off a lot! Especially for my peg heroes.

My only concern is i lack CRUNCH from this list as i would rely on Brolock magic and disciplined charges from my pegs.

Is this looking decent guys or is this a stupid list?

Cheers :D
Ajattaro
Executioner

Post by Ajattaro »

This looks really deadly! Maybe some tough units might be too hard to crack, but you can easily kiil everything else around.

Your CoTmaster should have lance instead of halberd, but AoDmaster is fine. I would use AoD guy as my general maybe, because he has more long term durability and then you can send off that CoTguy to more dangerous missions. Does you both masters have shields if they have full mundane? Its maybe little wasted for you AoD guy, but maybe it will scrapped for points to get lance. Maybe you can get him Charmed shield + ToPreservation?

I'm not sure about banners. I guess enemy wont be getting them easily, and one is surely useful. Champions are good too, but maybe not two. I guess one champion and one banner should be enough in game this small.
Venomblades
Shade

Post by Venomblades »

Cheers pal! Good feedback!

I have shields on both of them yes. I have reduced one herald and banner from a DR unit to afford the lance instead of halberd for my CoT master. Also, switched the AoD master to ToP and Charmed shield, good recommendation there so thank you very much.

That leaves me with 17 points to spend, as to what though i am lost.

Thanks for your feedback, Ajattaro.
Ajattaro
Executioner

Post by Ajattaro »

Well, with 17 points left you can hire one champion r banner back :D I guess that champion would be better in warlocks, since you are going to see them in combat more than DR units.

If you got no other place to spend last 7 points, you could either put lance on other master (your preferance), or give RxB to kill something out of clise combat