2000 points fluff list used in a filthy kind of way

Get critiqued on your latest army here...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Falstaff
Beastmaster

2000 points fluff list used in a filthy kind of way

Post by Falstaff »

Hi!

Coming back from a baby break and not having played Dark Elves for a good 10 months I have my eyes on a 2000 points 3 game tournament in two weeks. The comp is horendous, even tougher than is usually the case in German tournaments: Great Horus. It basically minimzes magic (only 3 levels of magic allowed for each army, max on dice used, etc.) characters (25% for each lords and heroes), shooting (max 40 including war machines which count as 5) and unit sizes (max 35 models) etc. On the other hand it allows special characters and makes fluffy stuff cheaper. E.G. our fleet master costs 100 points.

So I thought I'd use a home guard type of army and will use it in a very dirty way. Congas are carelessly negleted by the restrictions :D
The list therefore revolves around a BSB with the Banner of Nagarythe and a bunch of core units.

Sorceress, level 3, dagger, Lore of beasts: I basically want wild beast, the spear, against some armies wild form, against others feast for crows.
Dreadlord, Giant blade, enchanted shield, dawnstone, HA, SDC: The dude that gets the kills
Noble, BSB, Banner of nagarythe, HA, SDC, shield: The dude that makes my congas stay in place
Assassin, Sword of anti-heroes, OTS:The dude that popps out of nowhere to surprise deathstars (Horus carelessly allows death stars)
20 Dark shardes, full command, banner of eternal flame
35 Bleakswords, full command: The brick with 35 lives which shall never run away
2x 10 Bleakswords, musician: the congas
2x RBT: elite units are max 2...
5 harpies: a redirector for good measure
8 shades with great weapons a tactical unit that can becoume a conga :D

Basically the shooting is supposed to make opponents come to me where they will be met by congas. The characters are supposed to kill some stuff to get me points.
This is obivously not a list that will win very high scores, but a list that can be used in dirty ways if I manage to place my troops right. The BSB stays in a bunker at the back of my lines obviously.

Option: Drop shades to get Tullaris or 10 Executioners or another noble with some killy stuff.

What do you guys think?
Ajattaro
Executioner

Re: 2000 points fluff list used in a filthy kind of way

Post by Ajattaro »

Pretty solid looking fluffy DE legion. It lacks little killing power though.
My only concern is that MC units and tough monsters and character can rip up your bunker.

Some things:
Your SS would like to have some protection, but you can hide her in second rank too with BSB and DL in same unit with FC. When champ dies you are forced to first rank though. Beasts would work better with spears. BSB is really vulnerable too, but use him if you like. :)

Assassin would love KB poison, but its not necessary. He costs a lot, and replacing him with hydra or Kbeast would help this list by goving you flanking monster, which can help breaking enemy units. Danger for your bunker is that it can be bogged down by chaff and cheap ranked units.

Congas are better with champions, but I quess you are better off with DR units as redirectors. You can use them as conga too, but two units of DR give you so much more options. Im not sure if Bswords are good congas. People (me included) usually despise congalining as main strategy, but now I must admit that you use BoN with great effect here! :D never had that idea myself. I dont know if congas can ever be comped out...

If change congas into DR, you could swap harpies into RBT. With flamimg DS there is giod combo potential. Infantry list need strong fire support too. You want enemy come to you, not other way around
Falstaff
Beastmaster

Re: 2000 points fluff list used in a filthy kind of way

Post by Falstaff »

Thank you for your reply.

The idea of conga is to give minimal frontage to superior combat units. Thus, monstrous units like mournfang or even worse scullcrushers will have 2 models to attack with and it will be near impossible or only if rolled perfectly that they will do more than 10 wounds in one round of combat. Thus, I know for sure that my congas will stand for one round. ... and never forget the parry save :)

The idea is to then put in another unit with my Dreadlord who is supposed to get the kills. But you're quite right. 4 S7 attacks are very little hitting power. Unfortunatelly, I have not found a good way of increasing this aspect. I want the assassin for fluff reasons. ALso he'll wreck multiple characters in death stars and I'm presuming that there'll be a lot.

My bunker, i.e. the unit that will hold both sorc and BSB, will ideally never be in a combat it can't win or which endangers the characters --> thus, in no combat at all.

I'm not sold on dark elve monsters as cannons are very common here and both the "new" hydra and the K-Beast lack survivability and killing potential.

An assassin can either be hidden away or do major damage if deployed well. A K-Beast will only kill very weak characters unless she rolls like a god.

One option I'm now considering is to cut my core units down a bit to get in Executioners or CoK to get in more strength. But this would hurt my fluff :)

Congas are usually forbidden here, but this old comp has not taken account of them. Tbh I only feel ok using conga knowing that all my opponents will bring very competitive armies as usual and I'm using a rather fluffy one.
Should the tournament orga forbid congas spontaneously seeing them used, I'll just deploy my units as wide as possible facing towards either my right or left flank. The charging opponent will get into my flank that is in effect a conga :D