2400 Experimental Tournament List (Terror bomb Light Magic)

Get critiqued on your latest army here...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Shadoer
Dark Rider

2400 Experimental Tournament List (Terror bomb Light Magic)

Post by Shadoer »

Hi guys,

Well I've been working on a list for a 2400pt tournament and I've come up with a hybrid of a Light Magic list and a Dark Magic Terror bomb list, hoping to take the best from both.

Lord Choices
==============

Sorceress LVL 4 - Lord of Light
Lvl 4
Ring of Hotek

Total = 270pts

Hero Choices
==============

Hag with a Cauldron of Blood
- Cauldron of Blood
- Cry of War

Total = 290pts

Battlestandard on a Dark Pegasus
-Dark Pegasus
- Battlestandard
- Full Armor (SDC, Heavy Armor, Shield)
- Lance
- Cloak of Twilight

Total = 211pts

Sorceress LVL 2 - Lore of Dark Magic
- Dark Steed
- LVL 2
- Tome of Furion
- Mask of Eek (Terror)

Total= 175pts

Core
==============

5 Dark Riders with Shields, Rxb
- Standard
- Musician

Total = 130pts

5 Dark Riders with Shields, Rxb
- Standard
- Musician

Total = 130pts

28 Witch Elves
Base
Full Command
Banner of Eternal Flame

Total = 348

Special
==============

5 Cold One Knights
Full Command
Gleaming Pendant

Total = 1859ts

29 Executioners
Full Command
Wailing Standard (Terror)

Total = 4289ts

Rare
============

9 Doomfire Warlocks

Total = 225

Grand Total = 2392

Strategy: A combination of the Terror bomb list with a Light Magic. The idea is I have a bunch of units causing Terror or Fear (Executioners, Witch Elf Cauldron, Sorceress on a Dark Steed, Cold One Knights) while I have the Light Mage to help move up the Cauldron and Executioners (Time Warp), protecting them from Shooting (Pa), or spamming missiles with Gaze and Banishment. Meanwhile I have my Sorceress with Dark Magic in the unit of Warlocks, able to cast Power of Darkness to boost their strength up by 1+ (giving them 13 Str 5 Poison Attacks) and get off Shroud of Despair.

Ideally against Empire, Skaven, Orcs, Dwarves, Warriors of Chaos (Non khorne and non slannesh) and Wood Elves I have plenty of ways to limit the damage from enemy shooting as well as shut it down with Fast Cavalry and my Pegasus BSB, not to mention these armies (especially Empire and Skaven) melt under a properly deployed terror bomb.

Against Undead and Daemons, my light magic missiles receive a major bonus and my army has enough fear causing units that psychology won't be as bad of a problem as it normally would be.

Ogres are always a bit of a problem, but at least I can force them to take fear tests (Cauldron, Executioners, and Sorceress) while also deriving some benefit from shutting down their leadership. Also Warriors Marked for Khorne and Slannesh would be a problem, however Khorne can then be "pulled" thanks to frenzy and at least I've never seen any Warriors of Slannesh for some time.

My worries is that the Witch Elf and Executioner units are too small and I should consider dumping the BSB on the Pegasus to beef them up (roll the BSB into the Hag) alternatively if I lack combat units, I could make one unit of 12 Dark Riders allowing the sorceress to switch between them and the Warlocks.

Anyways that's my logic, what do you guys think of the conept?
There is no such thing of defeat, just the postponement of victory.
Dragonarmy
Warrior

Re: 2400 Experimental Tournament List (Terror bomb Light Mag

Post by Dragonarmy »

Have you thought about Death magic? It might combo better than light.

I worry that your opponents will feel that they either one the game or lost the game before it began. As another Druchii general has already said, it's worth thinking about all the different leadership tests that an army takes.

Squeezing in a Kairibdus (sp) could be fun too
Would love to hear how the army goes. Report back!
Shadoer
Dark Rider

Post by Shadoer »

Dragonarmy wrote:Have you thought about Death magic? It might combo better than light.

I worry that your opponents will feel that they either one the game or lost the game before it began. As another Druchii general has already said, it's worth thinking about all the different leadership tests that an army takes.

Squeezing in a Kairibdus (sp) could be fun too
Would love to hear how the army goes. Report back!

Yeah I was considering going with the standard terror bomb list, but the problem is that Death isn't that great against Undead and Daemons (albeit it does combo a lot better against certain armies). Also for Death to be truly effective, you want mobility in order to get close to your target and get the right angle for Purple Sun, same with Dark Magic. By using a light wizard, I can use it's very effective (and economical) magic missiles to help force Leadership tests from Magic Damage. It also against Daemons and Undead.

Also the reason for not throwing K-byss in is simply to have redundancy. It's a lot harder to eliminate a large executioner block and witch elf block that is constantly getting buffed from Pa's protection and the Ring of Hotek than K-Byss that will get creamed by cannons. Not to mention that spells like the Cauldrons Frenzy and Brianna's Timewarp work best with infantry and cavalry, not so much monsters. And whereas extra light wizards would be there just to boost Banishment, the Dark Sorceress could keep the pressure up in the advance cavalry force.

And I think that pressure in the magic phase is pretty important. I only need 3 dice to reliably get Shroud of Despair off on my Dark Sorceress and that will make anyone sweat... and draw dice. So even if it goes off, I can then reliably try and cast Brianna's time Warp with 3 dice as well. Both are potentially game winning spells, and odds are my opponent would only have the dice to stop one of them (and possibly scroll the other, but then it's one less scroll to deal with) and that's with a below average magic phase with only 6 dice.

But yeah, you have a point that some people will probably go @#$$@ and know they are going to lose... but certain lists will do really well against this. It can't really deal with a well constructed buss and it can't handle certain undead builds. Also if my light sorceress goes boom, it's a lot of executioners that go down with her. And of course, Warriors with the mark of Slannesh will cream this.

Thanks again for your comments, I'll be sure to report back :)
Ajattaro
Executioner

Post by Ajattaro »

Purple sun is great against DoC and any form of undead, they are really dependent on their characters too...

I really like this idea, since Light can augment this list quite well. What I would like to see is Bloodwrack Shrine. That would add another target for cannons, you would keep the terror and have more Ld gimmicks to boot. Since it's cheap you could squeeze it into execs quite easily.

Your SS does not have any survivability in combat, which is dangerous. If you bus up with execs and Shrine she would be ok, but I think you could do better with a ward save and dispel scroll.
Shadoer
Dark Rider

Post by Shadoer »

Ajattaro wrote:Purple sun is great against DoC and any form of undead, they are really dependent on their characters too...

I really like this idea, since Light can augment this list quite well. What I would like to see is Bloodwrack Shrine. That would add another target for cannons, you would keep the terror and have more Ld gimmicks to boot. Since it's cheap you could squeeze it into execs quite easily.

Your SS does not have any survivability in combat, which is dangerous. If you bus up with execs and Shrine she would be ok, but I think you could do better with a ward save and dispel scroll.

Thanks, I was thinking of that or fitting in a hydra which would be cheaper and have some more durability (as well as bringing in more terror).

True on the SS, I've thought about trading the Ring of Hotek for a Talisman of Protection or a Black Amulet and a dispel scroll, just then it takes away a bit of potential from my magic offense and passive defense. Also if I get into combat with the executioners I'd like to think I've already one.

Another thing I've thought I could do is trade a unit of Dark Riders in or something else to just put her into a small bunker of bleak swords and give her the Sacrificial Dagger, giving me potentially much needed dice for some tough magic phases.
Shadoer
Dark Rider

Post by Shadoer »

Considering the following changes

Summary of Changes

- Eliminated the Wailing Banner from the Executioners
- Changed the Flying Pegasus BSB into a a Witch Hag with Cry of War as well. Gave her sword of the anti-hero
- Reduced the Executioners to a unit of 22
- Gave the Executioners the Banner of Swiftness (to help them reach their target faster
- Gave the Supreme Sorceress a Power Stone (2 spare dice if she needs it)
- Threw in a basic hydra

The 2nd Hag with Cry of War should still make a leadership test of fear for the enemy at -3, so the use of psychology is still being used and the unit has a chance of getting to the enemy faster. The Sword of the Anti-hero should also help if I need to deal with an enemy bus (Even one enemy char is 5 str 5 attacks, a bus of 3 is 8 str 8 attacks) It's smaller, but hopefully the hydra should soak up some damage. The Power Stone should also help keep pressure on during the magic phase.

I figure that I'd rather have the SS with bare minimum protection. Her job is to protect the units and get them into combat and given a choice between protecting the various units and protecting her, I'll choose the units.

Lord Choices
==============

Sorceress LVL 4 - Lord of Light
Lvl 4
Ring of Hotek
Power Stone

Total = 290pts

Hero Choices
==============

Hag with a Cauldron of Blood
- Cauldron of Blood
- Cry of War

Total = 290pts

Hag BSB
- BSB
- Sword of the Anti-Heros
- Cry of War

Total = 135pts

Sorceress LVL 2 - Lore of Dark Magic
- Dark Steed
- LVL 2
- Tome of Furion
- Mask of Eek (Terror)

Total= 175pts

Core
==============

6 Dark Riders with Shields, Rxb
- Standard
- Musician

Total = 140pts

6 Dark Riders with Shields, Rxb
- Standard
- Musician

Total = 140pts

26 Witch Elves
Base
Full Command
Banner of Eternal Flame

Total = 326

Special
==============

5 Cold One Knights
Full Command
Gleaming Pendant

Total = 1859ts

22 Executioners
Full Command
Banner of Swiftness

Total = 309pts

Rare
============

9 Doomfire Warlocks

Total = 225

Grand Total = 2395pts

So think I should go with this, or go back to the other list.
Coop
Dark Rider

Post by Coop »

Echoing what others have said before, I think death is the way to go. I play daemons of chaos, and terror/fear mean nothing to me. The same goes for vampires and tomb kings. Lizardmen have cold blooded and dwarves have silly leadership. BUT! What do they all have in common? Purple sun will ruin their day. All of Nurgle for DoC, crypt ghouls for vampires, Saurus warriors for lizardmen, and literally everything in the dwarf book will die to Psun.

Light just doesn't make a ton of sense to me on elves. We already have high weapon skill and ASF so it's like the spells are already just half as effective. Banishment is nice in the light council, but with just one wizard, I think doombolt from warlocks can do similarly well.

PLUS! You want to get people to fail terror and fear? Death has doom and darkness. -3 leadership will make that big dwarf bunker significantly less likely to pass their checks.
anglais
Corsair

Post by anglais »

I do not see a dispel scroll. this is a huge drawback
same goes for RBT
22 exes is not enough IMO
I like to win, but not by playing the limit of the rules
toots
Beastmaster

Post by toots »

Sir -

I believe you've hit upon something uh-mazing!! Combination of Light and Dark is a great idea - Yin/Yang you might say! 8)

I think a level 1 Dark on the steed with a Tome would be a good idea.

I think maxing on monsters and terror would be a good idea. Pha's protection and Timewarp will help them immensely.

My current 2400 thinking is:

Level 4, scroll, mask of ee!, 4++, Light, in execs
Level 1, tome of furion (shroud of despair), Dark, on steed, in warlocks
Hag BSB, cry of war, cauldron

28 witch elves, razor banner, FC
29 execs, FC, flaming banner
5 harpies
2 bolt throwers
5 DRs, musician, crossbows
5 warlocks
hydra
kharibdyss

that's 4 terror tests right there for armies not immune to psych (shroud), and if they are, the level 4 steps out from the execs and needs to be casting boosted shems as much as possible! slightly hectic but whatever.

great ideas there my friend! thanks for the suggestion. covers both eventualities regarding psychology.

cheers!
T.D.
Killed by Khorne
Killed by Khorne
Location: Hinterlands of Khuresh; The Lost City of the Angels

Post by T.D. »

Lot of interesting concepts in this thread.

Looking forward to play feedback :)
OldHammer Advanced Ruleset
- Adding Tactical Depth to Your Favourite Tabletop Wargame
Shadoer
Dark Rider

Post by Shadoer »

toots wrote:Sir -

I believe you've hit upon something uh-mazing!! Combination of Light and Dark is a great idea - Yin/Yang you might say! 8)

I think a level 1 Dark on the steed with a Tome would be a good idea.

I think maxing on monsters and terror would be a good idea. Pha's protection and Timewarp will help them immensely.

My current 2400 thinking is:

Level 4, scroll, mask of ee!, 4++, Light, in execs
Level 1, tome of furion (shroud of despair), Dark, on steed, in warlocks
Hag BSB, cry of war, cauldron

28 witch elves, razor banner, FC
29 execs, FC, flaming banner
5 harpies
2 bolt throwers
5 warlocks
hydra
kharibdyss

that's 4 terror tests right there for armies not immune to psych (shroud), and if they are, the level 4 steps out from the execs and needs to be casting boosted shems as much as possible! slightly hectic but whatever.

great ideas there my friend! thanks for the suggestion. covers both eventualities regarding psychology.

cheers!

Thanks.

I am totally going to have to try this set up when I get a chance! Also if you give that a try, be sure to post your results :)

As for my own playtesting, currently I've found the following:

1) Power Stone: As I've been trying things out, I've found that it's way more important in my current set up to be able to cast spells rather than dispel them in the first couple of turns. In personal testing I've found that a bad roll for casting dice on Turn 1 or 2 really screws things up, especially if your opponent has artillery. Either I need to get off one of the light spells (Pa's Protection or Time Warp), or draw out their Dispel Scroll early.

2) Spells: I've realized that I need to roll for the spells of my Light Wizard first. Against any army with Artillery and shooting, I need either Pa's Protection or Time Warp. In the unlikely (but possible) scenario that I'm denied both, I need to then alter my Dark Magic Plan to use the Tome to give me Word of Pain instead so I can reliably lower the enemies ballistic skill. For that matter, I've found that against the Undead and Daemons my best spell for the LVL 2 Wizard is running Word of Pain as well.

3) Warlock Cavalry When Buffed Is Amazing: One unexpected benefit has been how well 9 Warlocks with a Wizard, bringing it up to 10 actually works. In this set up, the Warlocks have access to two spells that will allow them to wound on 2's against T3 Infantry - Power of Darkness from the Wizard and Soul Blight. Combine that with the Cauldron of Blood's cheap frenzy that can go off on them, or other Light Buffs, even getting a couple of these spells off will turn them into murder machines. Once my playtesting buddy realized how terrifying Shrouds is, he started trying to wait to dispel that not realizing how terrible the Warlocks become in CC when properly buffed. Basically if I charge with my Warlocks and he dispels shrouds, I still should have dice with plenty of cheap buffs to get off that will still allow the Warlocks to annihilate the target, if he doesn't I should get shrouds off and begin the psychology mayham.

One last benefit is that I'm casting with Power Level 3 until my opponent removes a Warlock, making it easier to cast Doombolt and/or Soulblight

4) Less Might Be More. So far, I've found that adding more terror causers actually doesn't help that much. With my Lvl 2 Wizard with the Mask of Eek, the Cauldron, and the Cold One Knights fear is generally all the psychology I need from fear, anything over has been just overkill so far. Since my LVL 2 in the Warlocks stick to one flank, usually supporting the Cauldron Witch Elves as they advance, there hasn't been a need for more terror causers and psych checks. So for the moment I've canibalized the point spent for the Wailing Banner on the Executioners for other things.

5) So far against my test Empire and Warriors of Chaos, victory has been secured by Turn 3-4. Basically I get Time Warp off on Turn 1, Charge with both the Cauldron, Warlocks, Dark Riders, and Pegasus BSB on Turn 2 and get Shrouds off... then very carefully choose which combats I resolve first in order to have the easy combats go first and get some easy failed psych break tests off (Thanks Warhounds) in order to have a few minus's for the psychology test of the main fight. From there on it's just clean up. Now Daemons and Undead are just a slog, it's winnable but even with the Light Wizard they are still a tough fight. (Although being able to fire the Strength 6 version of Burning Gaze on 2D6 followed by banishment is really helpful for removing Vargulfs)

Anyways, I'm in a small tournament this weekend (One day, 4 games) which allows End Time units and lists... so I'll likely get my but kicked as I'm running these guys as straight Dark Elves, but I'll be able to see how it handles things.
Shadoer
Dark Rider

Post by Shadoer »

Alright finished the first small End Times no comp tournament, and I was pretty pummeled (3 loses, 1 draw). At least the 3 loses were relatively close games and the draw was due to us running out of time as opposed to me not winning, so I'm not too upset. It also revealed one of the main weaknesses of this list which is being out maneuvered.

My match-ups were against a Dark Elf Hellbrone list with Dark Rider bus, an Empire Army with all Knights and 3 Griffons and a buss, an Goblin Army Green Fortress, and an Ogre army with a horde.

Just to give a quick summary before I dive into in depths problems of each game:

- Power Stone really didn't help me enough. Overall in the games I played I was rolling well below average for the winds of magic (I only rolled above 7 for two magic phases in the whole tournament, and only channeled 3 dice in the whole tournament). Now the Power Stone was suppose to mitigate this drought, but two extra dice really didn't cut it. It also didn't help that I usually wanted to try and save the Dark Sorceress for last in order to get shrouds.

- The scenarios for this tournament were really low effort. They were just scenarios taken from the book with various "objective" markers placed around the board which we needed to provide (but the players pack didn't say anything about suggesting we bring some). One scenario had the rule that core was worth double points, and another had that you won by getting double the amount of victory points of your enemy.

- Really never missed the dispel scroll. The ring of hotek and my lvl 4 wizard was good enough. In none of the games magic was a deciding factor... problem was I really needed it to be for my side.

Anyways to go over each game.

Game 1 - Dark Elves with Hellbrone
------------------------------------

Enemy List:
- Dark Rider Bus with 5 masters, each with repeater crossbows.
- About 40 Witch Elves with a Cauldron with a bsb, AND Hellebron. Also had the Banner of Swiftmenss (1+ movement)
- 1 unit of Warlocks with a Supreme Sorceress
- 1 unit of Shades

Against this my play was to try and get the Witch Elves and Executioners to deal with the Witch Elf Death Star while my Dark Pegasus and Cold One Knights dealt with the bus, and the Warlocks as well as the Dark Riders would run interference. I figured the Pegasus could charge the Dark Rider Bus, and hold it up a turn allowing a flank charge from the Cold One Knights.

The plan almost worked, my Pegasus successfully charged the Dark Rider bus on turn one and his armor and ward easily weathered down the stand and shoot shots. He also managed to kill one master himself and wound another one. Problem was that the remaining master and dark rider managed to get 3 wounds in and I rolled 3 ones on his armor save. Down went the Pegasus and with him my hopes of victory.

From that point on the Dark Rider bus just ate my Cold One Knights, shot to pieces my Warlocks, and a unit of Dark Riders.

Meanwhile the other part of my plan went off without a hitch. Thanks to some good dark rider placement and Shrouds on the Hellebron deathstar, I did manage to pull his unit out of position and charge it with my Witch Elves. After two rounds of combat he destroyed my unit, however I had depleted them to about 15 guys (I got lucky one some very good attack rolls versus him), killed Hellbron, and his bsb. My executioners charged the flanks and easily moped up the rest of them.

Then the Dark Rider bus came along with his shades, and having eaten the other half of my army, the Executioners and my remaining forces were shot to pieces over the remaining 3 turns of the game. I just couldn't get the dice in the magic phase to get something like Banishment off, and well that was it for me.

Overall: While I lost, I feel I played this game right. There wasn't much I could do against both the Witch Elf Death Star and the Dark Rider bus, and had my Dark Pegasus survived one round of combat, I think this game would have been mine. Shitty rolls happen and the list was equipped to deal with it, and almost did. Problem with it was that aside from magic missiles, the only way I had to deal with the Dark Rider bus was my Pegasus or hope they charged my Witch Elves (which was a hope in futility). i really could have used some redundancy beyond that.

Game 2 - Empire Knights and Griffons
---------------------------------------

Enemy List:
- 3 Griffons, 2 of which were ridden by Empire Generals and one of which was Wizard of Beasts
- Wizard on a Pegasus
- 3 Units of Empire knights, one of which was used as a bus for a War Priest and other guys
- A Unit of Outriders
- 1 Steamtank

Now here's where my own gameplay and problems with the list really started to emerge. First of all I made the bone headed decision of taking Chillwind thinking "Empire, he has guns" without even bothering to look at his tray and see that the only unit that could shoot at me were the outriders.

After kicking myself I drew up my plan in my head and decided I would have to charge his one bus with my Warlocks and one unit of knights with Dark Riders, while holding off the other unit of knights with my other unit of Dark Riders. That would allow me to at least take on the Steam Tank and hopefully from there my units would hold out and I could move in on something else, or at least the Griffons wouldn't feel okay with charging me all at once. I even thought my Warlocks with terror and shrouds might have a chance of running his bus off the table.

The charges went off and both my Dark Rider and Warlocks managed to hold off their respective knights for a couple of turns, in fact one unit managed to win 5 rounds of combat before it finally died (and the empire didn't fail a single ld test). Meanwhile I easily managed to knock out the Steamtank until the Griffons came flying around.

Now I figured he might charge my executioners with one of his griffons, however for some reason I forgot to reform my unit from being a horde to going into ranks of 5. And really, I should have had them in ranks of 5 from the very beginning of the this game, but for some reason of I was having a brain fart. So he charged me in the flank and began eating the executioners for breakfast and I only had 3 strike backs against him. If that wasn't bad enough, I figured "well griffons are had to kill, might as well go after his general (he meant empire general, not his general). I have decent odds of getting killing blow off". Yeah, somehow i didn't realize Griffons only are toughness 5 with paper thin armor. *Welp*

So the executioners got killed along with my supreme sorceress, and while I managed to take out a small unit of knights, the big "everything charge the witch elf" charge came and that was it. My Hag managed to use the sword of Anti-Heros to take down a Warpriest and a whole unit of knights, but that wasn't enough to deal with everything charging me and eliminating the Witch Elves.

Overall: Had I not been so daft this game, I could have gotten a Draw. But that was about the best I think I could hope for. Basing things around two blocks of infantry was just to unwieldy for facing a cavalry army like this and I didn't have any good spells to help eliminate armor.

Game 3 - Goblin Castle

Enemy list:
3 Units of Night Goblin Archers with 2 fantatics each.
4 Bolt Throwers
4 Goblin Shamans
1 block of 50 Night Goblin Spearmen with 10 Goblin Heroes in the unit.
1 block of 25 Night Goblin that served as a bunker for the bsb, the general, and a couple of shamans.
1 Rock Lobba
1 unit of squig heard
2 Mangler Squigs

Here things went pretty well. Light magic helped me weather his shooting and my fast cavalry managed to quickly deal with his bolt throwers. By turn 2 my Witch Elves managed to reach his block of Goblins with all of his heroes in it and thanks to the sword of Anti-Heroes, it turned into a slaughter.

The only reason this game turned into a draw was just time and turns.

Having to single out every goblin hero for the witch elves, roll for every fanatic on the table, and so on just ate up time and was a massive pain. Like the combat with the block of Goblin Spearmen and Heros took over an hour for two rounds of combat, and that's not an exaggeration. Each goblin hero had different equipment and he had to look up each on as well as keep track of all the wounds on each hero. The nice thing was that the Sword of the Anti-hero's made this an easy fight... just it took so damn long to resolve.

Even more annoying was that I did get shrouds off on several of his units, hoping that at least I could break most of his army easily and just end things quicker... and he just kept making leadership rolls of as low as 4 while shrouds was in play. Once I broke the main unit, things went a bit fast but at that point I knew I had to rush my turns in order to try and kill everything I could in order to get a win... and the scenario rules were that I needed to double my opponents victory points... which wouldn't be so bad if his units weren't on the objectives which were each worth a bucket of victory points.

So in the end I managed to get a draw, shy about 150 points I needed from getting a win. I probably would have been able to do it if I could properly think for the final few turns, however with only about 15 minutes to get through 3 more turns, I had to go fast and just couldn't do it.

Overall: Can't kick myself too hard about this as it was just a time thing and the tournament rules were problematic. Fact is when you have no comp of any kind and have a yea/nay vote on sportsmanship with no actual rating, you are going to get some army's that are just frustrating to play against. While I wish he would have went a bit faster, to be fair he seemed like a nice guy and once 15 minutes left were called (and I reminded him 5 minutes after) he did finally go faster.

Game 4 - Ogre Horde

Enemy List:

- Unit of Rinox Cavalry
- 2 Cannons
- A General on a Wolly Mamoth / Stonethrower
- a Horde of Bulls with a bsb
- 6 Bulls with great weapons and a Fire Belly
- 4 Bulls with cannons
- Unit of Gnoblars
- 2 Sabretooths Cats

Here my plan to try and hold off some of his units with my Dark Riders as well as my Warlocks, and try and prevent an "everything charges me at once moment." this time, as my Cold Ones were a bit useless at that momenent, i also decided to use them as bait to draw out the Rinox on the far left side of the table and around some terrain so I could avoid dealing with them for a bit.

Now for the most part this worked. I had a problem where a cannon shot managed to snipe off my pegasus, but I knew that 3+ ward save would fail in a game eventually. He did take the bait and the rinox got the cold ones, but were going to be useless for a while, and my warlocks got off their charge on the rear of the horde were doing decent damage. Also my dark riders managed to kill off the Gnoblars in one charge, then got into the bulls with guns behind the gnoblars and take them out as well.

Unfortunately two problems emerged for me. First of all was my executioners got hit with a stone thrower a couple of times and were depleted, this wouldn't have been such a problem if the fire belly wasn't able to get to an inch of them, breath fire on the unit, and through some excellent rolling brought a unit of 20 remaining executioners down to about 9. I still managed to to charge them with the Executioners and hold them up for a bit, but it was a losing battle at that point.

All of this could have been salvaged if my witch elves could have charged into the bulls. But they couldn't because of the Sabretooth cat that was on the way. The cat that I couldn't shoot off as everything I had was busy doing something else and couldn't get a shot, and he wisely dispelled all my magic missiles I sent against them. Between two cats, it was just enough to keep off my witch elves that he was able to get the two turns he needed to break my Warlocks, and my executioners, and for his rinox's to get back and charge the witch elves. They put up a valiant fight and the sword of the anti-hero's let me take some more guys down, but it was a forgone conclusion. Those damned charge blockers gave him the game.

Overall: If either the winds of magic had been kinder or I had brought a bolt thrower, I think the game would have been mine.

Current Thoughts
================

- I really really need a better way to deal with buses. I'm half thinking I need to take the sword of the anti-hero's on a master in a unit of Dark Riders or even the warlocks for the express purpose of zeroing in on a bus. The sword really worked well on the Witch Elves, but they just don't have the maneuverability to hit a bus early before it causes too much damage.

- I also need something to help take down chaff. I'm thinking finding room for bolt throwers is also a good idea. Half considering dropping the Cold Ones just for this purpose. Another unit of Dark Riders or even shades might help.

- One Power Stone doesn't really help much to make up for a poor magic phase. Might consider taking something for more casting dice to help mitigate this. Half considering taking the sacrificial dagger.

- Getting shrouds off never really worked once or was the game changer I hoped. then again, I thought I would be doing the majority of the charging as opposed to the other way around.

Those are my thoughts so far, and I guess I'll get to retooling things and work out some of the problems.