3000 pts - The dark advance

Get critiqued on your latest army here...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Praetorian1979
Corsair

3000 pts - The dark advance

Post by Praetorian1979 »

hey people.

So I have been pondering on a 3000pts list for the local Escalation League, which will be the final round, still some distance away, luckily. So feedback would be appriciated, on how to improve and what I am missing.

Lord:

Dreadlord (307pts)
General, HA, SDC, Shield
Dark Pegasus, Ogre Blade, Black Amulet

Supreme Sorcerer (320pts)
lvl 4
Dark Pegasus, CoT, Lore of Dark Magic

Hero:

Master (208pts)
HA, Lance, SDC, Shield
Dark Pegasus, Battle Standard Bearer

Sorcerer (150ps)
lvl 2
Dark Steed, Dispel Scroll, Lore of Life

Death Hag (290pts)
Cauldron of Blood, Cry of War

Core:

Dreadspears x27 (283pts)
Musician, Standard Bearer, Lordling
Banner of Eternal Flame

Dark Riders x5 (105pts)
Musician

Dark Riders x5 (105pts)
Musician

Darkshards x10 (130pts)
Musician

Darkshards x10 (130pts)
Musician

Special:

Executioners x20 (320pts)
Musician, Standard Bearer, Draich-Master
Wailing Banner

Rare:

Sisters of Slaughter x20 (365pts)
Standard Bearer, Handmaiden of Shards
Razor Standard

Kharidbyss (160pts)

Doomfire Warlocks x5 (125pts)

Total: 2998

Fort: 6

Thoughts behind the setup.

Death Hag goes with Sisters of Slaugther
Sorcerer on steed goes with the warlocks

Ideal deployment and tatic:
Dark spears slightly off centered in deployment flanked by Kharidbyss, Exe and SoS/CoB on one side. Two groups of Dark riders supported by Dark Shards on the other side with the warlocks to get fast behind the enemy units to provide a denial flank while providing a strong center with a hard hitting strike group on the other.

Dreadlord, SS and master is flying behind enemy lines. Dread and Master hunts Warmachines. The master will be relieved by the warlocks once they get around the enemy lines, so the master can fly back and provide support with his BSB for the combat units. The sorcerer is set with life to replace wounds and provide buffs.

Prefered spells:

Dark Magic:
Power of Darkness
Doombolt
Word of Pain
Shroud of Despair

Life Magic:
Stone of Flesh
Regrowth
Walk in the light and live not in fear. For We are brothers, our blood ligates us and holds us to our deeds.

Pictures of my little dark elves army: http://s195.photobucket.com/user/xPraet ... /Warhammer
T.D.
Killed by Khorne
Killed by Khorne
Location: Hinterlands of Khuresh; The Lost City of the Angels

Re: 3000 pts - The dark advance

Post by T.D. »

Looks not bad.

I think you could do with more Loks and another monster/chariot and less core.

Obsidian Trinket would fit well on the SS, and a 4++/2++ on your BSB makes him more survivable. Alternatively Dawnstone + Potion of Strength to hit hard where needed.

Just some thoughts for your consideration. Let us know how you get on :)
OldHammer Advanced Ruleset
- Adding Tactical Depth to Your Favourite Tabletop Wargame
Praetorian1979
Corsair

Post by Praetorian1979 »

T.D. wrote:Looks not bad.

I think you could do with more Loks and another monster/chariot and less core.

Obsidian Trinket would fit well on the SS, and a 4++/2++ on your BSB makes him more survivable. Alternatively Dawnstone + Potion of Strength to hit hard where needed.

Just some thoughts for your consideration. Let us know how you get on :)

Taking your suggestions into consideration.

I've made some alterations to the list and come out with two version I like, but can't decide between.

Version 3.3

Lord:

Dreadlord (307pts)
General, HA, SDC, Shield

Supreme Sorcerer (320pts)
lvl 4
Dark Pegasus, CoT, Lore of Dark Magic

Hero:

Master (208pts)
HA, Lance, SDC, Shield
Dark Pegasus, ToP, Battle Standard Bearer

Sorcerer (165ps)
lvl 2
Dark Steed, Dispel Scroll, Obsidian Trinket, Lore of Life

Core:

Dreadspears x27 (273pts)
Musician, Standard Bearer, Lordling

Dark Riders x5 (115pts)
Musician, Standard Bearer

Dark Riders x5 (105pts)
Musician

Darkshards x10 (140pts)

Darkshards x10 (140pts)

Special:

Wailing Banner

Cold One Chariot (115pts)

War Hydra (180pts)
Fiery Breath

Reaper Bolt Thrower (70pts)

Rare:

Kharidbyss (160pts)

Total: 2998

Fort: 8

Version 3.4

Lord:

Dreadlord (307pts)
General, HA, SDC, Shield

Supreme Sorcerer (345pts)
lvl 4
Dark Pegasus, CoT, Tome of Furion, Lore of Dark Magic

Hero:

Master (213pts)
HA, Lance, SDC, Shield
Dark Pegasus, ToP, Potion of Foolhardiness, Battle Standard Bearer

Sorcerer (165ps)
lvl 2
Dark Steed, Dispel Scroll, Obsidian Trinket, Lore of Life

Core:

Dreadspears x27 (278pts)
Standard of Discipline

Dark Riders x5 (105pts)
Musician

Dark Riders x5 (105pts)
Musician

Darkshards x10 (140pts)

Darkshards x10 (140pts)

Special:

Wailing Banner

Rare:

Kharidbyss (160pts)

Sisters of Slaughter x15 (265pts)
Musician, Standard Bearer, Handmaiden of Shards
Banner of Eternal Flame

Total: 2993

Fort: 8

-=-=-=-=-

The main changes are in the special and rare choices.

I quickly discovered that a list at this point range without RBT's would be a big weakness, and our house rules have limited special choices to max 2 of each model. However due to our Dark Elf special rules, I was allowed a total of 3.

Mostly I lean toward the first version I listed, one more monster for terror, one more chariot for impact damage however I also really want to try out the SoS, after reading some of the discussions here on the forums.

Ideal deployment and tatic:
Dark spears slightly off centered in deployment flanked by Kharidbyss, Exe and SoS/CoB on one side. Two groups of Dark riders supported by Dark Shards on the other side with the warlocks to get fast behind the enemy units to provide a denial flank while providing a strong center with a hard hitting strike group on the other.

Dreadlord, SS and master is flying behind enemy lines. Dread and Master hunts Warmachines. The master will be relieved by the warlocks once they get around the enemy lines, so the master can fly back and provide support with his BSB for the combat units. The sorcerer is set with life to replace wounds and provide buffs.

Deployment and overall tatic is close to the same as I intended with the first list I posted. Without the large SoS block to support the Exe in breaking one flank, they will be supported by chariots or the smaller SoS block. Protecting the other flank of the Spears, I would either place the hydra, slightly behind the spears front edge, so it can come in with support. Or it will be up to both Shard groups to keep the side clear with shooting, this time supported by 3 RBTs.

Again feedback is very much welcome, and any suggestions to deployment alterations as well, as I feel that isn't my strongest side.
Walk in the light and live not in fear. For We are brothers, our blood ligates us and holds us to our deeds.

Pictures of my little dark elves army: http://s195.photobucket.com/user/xPraet ... /Warhammer
direweasel
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by direweasel »

Lots of variance in lists, so this is kind of all over the place.

Why the spears if I may ask? Is it the models you have, or is it part of the escalation, or do you just prefer them for some aesthetic reason or something? I ask because in general corsairs or witch elves will perform better for you, for the same core points, depending on what you're going for. If you prefer spears that's fine, but I'd be remiss if I didn't at least ask the question.

I've had a lot of success with Sisters, but it depends a lot on opponents. Any army that has a fair amount of shooting, and knows what sisters do in melee will eat them alive, and that's a LOT of points to get eaten up in that manner. If you're playing against Warriors of Chaos they're worth every point - if you're playing against something that has a lot of shooting... then not so much.

If you aren't sure what you're going to be up against, I might sub in Black Guard for the Sisters. They aren't as flashy, but they are good against more things. Sisters are kind of an all or nothing unit I field situational, whereas Black Guard are more all purpose.

I know that sounds like a ton of criticism, but for the most part I like the list. I love Chariots in support of infantry, and I love monsters and shooting. All in all, I would go with the 3.3 list, but the question about the dreadspears still stands. If you have a reason go for it - I field them sometimes because I like my minis for them, but it's not an optimal choice most of the time.

Hope that helps.
Chinese Relativity Axiom: No matter how glorious your triumphs, nor how miserable your failures, there will always be at least one billion people in China who don't give a damn.

Apocalypse Drow! Plog: http://druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=75360
Praetorian1979
Corsair

Post by Praetorian1979 »

There is no particular reason for the spears, I had a feeling they would make a good anvil. getting charged, allows 3 ranks to fight back first round, and I could get 27 bodies in there.
I happened to have some 40 models from 8th edition when they were regular used as bunkers. Of course, there is little help in form of missing characters, and with Life on the lvl 2 sorc, I can hope for Regrowth but I just feel Dwellers would be more of a threat combined with a empowered word of pain.

I could try with corsairs it will give me 22 bodies that is 16 attacks (with champ) where spears would give me 16, however that is only first turn, then it is down to 11.

Witch Elves would also give me 22 bodies. would give me 21 attacks with poison, however is not as protected coming over the table as corsairs.

Should I try something else it would be probably be with corsairs.

I dont mind the criticism as long as there is some alternative suggested, I feel I am getting better at making lists, than I was when I started 2 years ago, but I can get carried away and forget the dynamic between some units, which is something I am still trying to learn the hard way.

Praetorian1979
Corsair

Post by Praetorian1979 »

So made some alterations after some reading and discussion. A very interesting reading written by TheGrayMist regarding a fun Supreme Sorcerer build, which I wanna try out. It also gave me a fun chance to throw a Medusa into the mix, just because... that could be immensely fun.

Setup is to throw the SS into the Warlocks
Master into the Executioners.
Medusa on the evasive flank, she might get some support of the Generals leadership the first round or two, before she gets let loose to cause whatever havoc she can do.

Some final thoughts from your tatical and devious minds would be appricated as always.

Lords: (647pts)

Dreadlord (307pts)
General, HA, SDC, Shield
Ogre Blade, The Black Amulet
Dark Pegasus

Supreme Sorcerer (340pts)
Level 4
Book of Ashur, Obsidian Amulet
Lore of Dark Magic
Dark Steed

Hero: (159pts)

Master (159pts)
BSB, Great Sword, HA, SDC
Enchanted Shield, ToP

Core: (781pts)

Corsairs x21 (261pts)
Reaver, Musician, Standard bearer, AHW

Dark Riders x5 (115pts)
Musician, Standard bearer, RBT

Dark Riders x5 (115pts)
Musician, Standard bearer, RBT

Dark Shard x10 (140pts)
Musician, Standard bearer

Dark Shard x10 (150pts)
Musician, Standard bearer
Banner of Eternal Flame

Special: (1036pts)

Har Ganeth Executioners x28 (416pts)
Draich Master, Musician, Standard bearer
Wailing Banner

Hydra (180tpts)
Fiery Breath

Rare: (375pts)

Kharibdyss (160pts)

Doomfire Warlocks (160pts)

Bloodwrack Medusa (90pts)

Fort: 9