2400pt Dark Elf List - Filthy?

Get critiqued on your latest army here...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Time of madness
Corsair

2400pt Dark Elf List - Filthy?

Post by Time of madness »

CHARACTERS

Dreadlord (General)
- Pegasus
- Lance/Shield
- Heavy Armour/Sea Dragon Cloak
- Cloak of Twilight
= 264pts

Supreme Sorceress
- Level 4
- Dark Steed
- Dispel Scroll
- Talisman of Preservation
= 310pts

Death Hag (BSB)
- Cauldron of Blood
= 300pts

CORE

28 Witch Elves
***Cauldron Here***
- Full Command
- Razor Standard
= 383pts

5 Dark Riders
- Musician
- X-bow/Shields
= 110pts

5 Dark Riders
- Musician
- X-bow/Shields
= 110pts

SPECIAL

30 Execuitioners
- Full Command
= 390pts

Bolt Thrower
= 70pts

Bolt Thrower
= 70pts

Bolt Thrower
= 70pts

Bolt Thrower
= 70pts

RARE

5 Doomfire Warlocks
= 125pts

5 Doomfire Warlocks
= 125pts

TOTAL POINTS = 2397pts

Fairly standard tourny style list in my opinion.

The 2 large units hit like a ton of bricks, while being supported by the 4 units of fast cav/bolt throwers/magic.

Anyone have some suggestions for making it better?

Time of Madness
"If it hurts too much, make it hurt someone else instead."
-Robert Jordan
anglais
Corsair

Re: 2400pt Dark Elf List - Filthy?

Post by anglais »

witchbrew and more warlocks)
I like to win, but not by playing the limit of the rules
Thraundil
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Thraundil »

Do not take witchbrew... You get 10 more attacks in trade for a LD6 frenzy check! No thank you - the unit will be chasing the same flak unit around over and over.

I like the list alot. I might join the two warlock units together if you intend to bunker your lvl 4 there. What lore is she taking? Stuff that will limit your opponents shooting - either by killing or hexing him - will benefit you greatly.
Name: Ladry (female)
Class: Mage (Pyromancer)
Equipment: Staff, longsword, dagger, 20 gold, insignia ring.
Skills: Power of Aqshy (2), defensive figthing
WS4, S2, T3, D4, I6.
direweasel
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by direweasel »

I love it - I think 2 units of 5 Warlocks is plenty, because I don't know what you'd take out to replace them.

This is very similar to the army I use - I take Black Guard and a Chariot instead of the Executioners, but otherwise very similar build. Against some opponents, I will switch out one of the bolt throwers for a unit of shades.

It definitely does well for me. :)

I will disagree with Thraundil and say that I like Witchbrew - if you're chasing flak around as he says, then your dark riders and bolt throwers aren't doing their jobs. They should be taking that stuff out.
Chinese Relativity Axiom: No matter how glorious your triumphs, nor how miserable your failures, there will always be at least one billion people in China who don't give a damn.

Apocalypse Drow! Plog: http://druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=75360
Time of madness
Corsair

Post by Time of madness »

Thanks for the comments folks.

Is it worth combining the warlocks and dropping them to 9 (throw the sorceress in this unit to make them 10).

I could then use the points for a dragon bane gem and sword of might for my dreadlord. I'd have 10pts left over which I could add the flaming banner to the executioners.

Does this make more sense?
Time of Madness
"If it hurts too much, make it hurt someone else instead."
-Robert Jordan
T.D.
Killed by Khorne
Killed by Khorne
Location: Hinterlands of Khuresh; The Lost City of the Angels

Post by T.D. »

Dawnstone makes Lord much more survivable (not sure if it fits pointswise tho).

Otherwise looks good.
OldHammer Advanced Ruleset
- Adding Tactical Depth to Your Favourite Tabletop Wargame
Coop
Dark Rider

Post by Coop »

It looks like a very good list. I would considering beefing up the dreadlord a little more. Might be worth giving him dawnstone so that he has a little better save in close combat.
Praetorian1979
Corsair

Post by Praetorian1979 »

the funniest dreadlord build I've come up with so far is a "standard" 1+/4+ with a twist.

Dreadlord (307pts)
Full mudane + Dark Peg (1+ armor save)
Ogre Blade (str 4/6)
Black Amulet (+4 ward save)

A regular Dreadlord until you throw him into a challenge, once he is done cleaning up what you set him out to do (warmachines, lone/weak chaff). then he suddenly becomes interesting, specially if he manages to fail his armor save, but you start saving on ward saves. Then he starts to return wounds, with no armor saves allowed.
Walk in the light and live not in fear. For We are brothers, our blood ligates us and holds us to our deeds.

Pictures of my little dark elves army: http://s195.photobucket.com/user/xPraet ... /Warhammer
Sangfroid
Executioner

Post by Sangfroid »

Because of kdaai and skullcanons and some dwarf canons (if runes that way) plus shems and searing doom I'd consider these two build for peglord

Ogre blade, armour of destiny, dragon bane gem (AoD saves you 1 pt over ToP also leaving that for your lvl4)

If you want the black amulet

Black amulet, dragonhelm, other tricksters shard (great weapon for st6, halberd for St 5 and asf rerolls, sword of striking if on a dragon for magic weapon, asf and +1 to hit)

The black amulet rebounds ignore armour saves so having OTS really helps you get the most out of the item especially against deamon princes and a 5++ ward. Also the dragon helm allows you to use a two handed weapon and be mounted and still have a 1+ as plus 2++ ward against flaming also a lot of peeps will put flaming banner on a half decent unit to counteract regen, giving you a great counter if you can find out which it is :-)
anglais
Corsair

Post by anglais »

Praetorian1979 wrote:the funniest dreadlord build I've come up with so far is a "standard" 1+/4+ with a twist.
I would go with peg and lance, than you can have OTC, which is really good for black amulet wounds trade.
I like to win, but not by playing the limit of the rules
Executioner_of_khaine
Warrior

Post by Executioner_of_khaine »

Sangfroid wrote:Because of kdaai and skullcanons and some dwarf canons (if runes that way) plus shems and searing doom I'd consider these two build for peglord

Ogre blade, armour of destiny, dragon bane gem (AoD saves you 1 pt over ToP also leaving that for your lvl4)

If you want the black amulet

Black amulet, dragonhelm, other tricksters shard (great weapon for st6, halberd for St 5 and asf rerolls, sword of striking if on a dragon for magic weapon, asf and +1 to hit)

The black amulet rebounds ignore armour saves so having OTS really helps you get the most out of the item especially against deamon princes and a 5++ ward. Also the dragon helm allows you to use a two handed weapon and be mounted and still have a 1+ as plus 2++ ward against flaming also a lot of peeps will put flaming banner on a half decent unit to counteract regen, giving you a great counter if you can find out which it is :-)

I am going to Use this Black Ammy , but I think the Great weapon is not a good choice. I like the Ogre Blade with it better because almost every tournament is playing with open lists and any smart player isn't going to fight that guy if he can help it and refuse the challenge whenever possible. The Ogre Blade works in all the combats and allowing the rerolls is the best part. I do wish I could fit the OTS on him though