2500 Mobile Death Sorceress and Warlock Bus

Get critiqued on your latest army here...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Coop
Dark Rider

2500 Mobile Death Sorceress and Warlock Bus

Post by Coop »

I'm playing a game this week against a common opponent who will probably be bringing vampire counts or lizard men. I'm trying to bring a competitive list and have limited models at my disposal.

What I'm thinking is:

LORDS
Dreadlord - Dark Steed, Ogre Blade, Black Amulet, SDC, Shield, Heavy Armor
Supreme Sorceress - Dark Steed, Dispel Scroll, Level 4 Death, Shrieking Blade

HEROES
Master - Dark Steed, talisman of preservation, charmed shield, SDC, Heavy Armor, BSB, lance

CORE
5 x Dark Rider - Musician, Xbows, Shields
14 x Witch Elves - Musician, Standard, Banner of the Eternal Flame
14 x Witch Elves - Musician, Standard

SPECIAL
4 x Bolt Thrower
16 x Executioners - Musician, Standard, Banner of Swiftness

RARE
10 x Warlocks - champion
10 x Warlocks

Plan is to drop the SS in the unit of 10 warlocks with the champion. She'll move around quickly and try to snipe off some characters or drop Purple Sun. The Dreadlord and Master go into the other unit of Warlocks and take themselves into combat when appropriate. The Dark Riders will be used to redirect/double flee while the witches and executioners move up and try to get some combo charges.

My concern would be high armor saves. I wouldn't know exactly what to do against a group of lizardmen cold one knights or a scar vet on a cold one with OTS and a +1 save.

Any comments? Do the kits of the characters look appropriate? The only other models I really have are 10 shades, 1 pegasus, and 10 cold one knights.

Thanks!
marcopollo
Assassin

Re: 2500 Mobile Death Sorceress and Warlock Bus

Post by marcopollo »

The nastiest dreadlord is, IMO, giantblade, dawnstone, OTS.

I would put two of my DR units into one at 10 models with RXB (ST/Mus) and the other one at 5 models without RXB. These small chaff units tend to get in the way of each other and block LoS creating a -2 to hit modifier. Having one big unit gives you a significant mobile shooting threat that can withstand some damage and still be effective.

Your supreme sorceress will have to be in the front ranks of the warlock unit. Which is a very dangerous spot for her and reduces the fighting/charging role of that unit because in the game you won't want to risk that charge. Better off with a peg and Cloak of Twilight or something like that.

Another good place for the SS is in a unit of CoK with a master and a BSB in the front ranks thus pushing the SS to the 2nd rank which is more protected. Giver something like crown of command, scepter of stability and Ring of Hotek for a good load out.

Shades are also important in helping your DR and warlocks into good vanguard positions because scouts deploy before vanguard moves.
Coop
Dark Rider

Post by Coop »

Thanks for the comments, definitely good things to think about. I will see what changes I can make accordingly.
Tactical Dark ELf
Trainee Warrior

Post by Tactical Dark ELf »

marcopollo wrote:The nastiest dreadlord is, IMO, giantblade, dawnstone, OTS.

I would put two of my DR units into one at 10 models with RXB (ST/Mus) and the other one at 5 models without RXB. These small chaff units tend to get in the way of each other and block LoS creating a -2 to hit modifier. Having one big unit gives you a significant mobile shooting threat that can withstand some damage and still be effective.

Your supreme sorceress will have to be in the front ranks of the warlock unit. Which is a very dangerous spot for her and reduces the fighting/charging role of that unit because in the game you won't want to risk that charge. Better off with a peg and Cloak of Twilight or something like that.

Another good place for the SS is in a unit of CoK with a master and a BSB in the front ranks thus pushing the SS to the 2nd rank which is more protected. Giver something like crown of command, scepter of stability and Ring of Hotek for a good load out.

Shades are also important in helping your DR and warlocks into good vanguard positions because scouts deploy before vanguard moves.

A dreadlord on dark steed with OTS (the other tricksters shard) means models in base contact with him, including friendly models also have to re-roll successful ward saves. So putting him in warlocks unit or with friendly characters may not be the best idea. If he did go in the Dark Rider unit but then- wouldn't it be be more beneficial to drop the OTS?
I've never used a dreadlord so just asking
marcopollo
Assassin

Post by marcopollo »

Putting anything with the OTS in a warlock unit is not a good idea. But because warlocks do not have full command, I usually don't put anything in them. Maybe a sorceress with MR 1 and a scroll, but I don't put a character wall in them or anything. That is a really expensive unit when those characters start piling in.

Warlocks are good against monsters and are their prefered targets IMO.
Imr011
Slave on the Altar

Post by Imr011 »

Great looking list similar to what I've been running. I think the original dreadlord set up is a winner, the black amulet is underrated :)

I know people love them but the 16 executioners worry me. It's a strange number, not really msu more mmu but without ASF re rolls a good ranked unit will smash them before they get to go or shoot them to a non effective number before engaging. Unless screened well they give up their points easily. That said i depends how you use them / what their role is in your style of play?

Let us know how the game went :)