1500 weekend gambit

Get critiqued on your latest army here...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Lord Foster
Trainee Warrior

1500 weekend gambit

Post by Lord Foster »

So im gonna try and squeeze in as many match ups as i can at the local shop starting with high elves then against brets next.

My list

LORDS
Supreme Sorceress; lvl 4 life, D scroll, ToP

HEROES
Master; full mundane, lance, BSB, potion of strength, dawnstone, brace of rhb, cold one

CORE
15× Corsairs; AHW, FC, reaver has brace of rhb
5× Darkriders; musician, rxb, shields
15× Darkshards; musician, shields

SPECIAL
9× Cold One Knights; FC, gleaming pennant
Rbt

RARE
5× Doomfire Warlocks; champ

master with the knights and SS with shards. if you see spots for improvement let me know all advice is welcome
Lord Foster
Trainee Warrior

Re: 1500 weekend gambit

Post by Lord Foster »

trying to add in a second unit of darkriders and a second sorceress (lvl2 fire) giving her the scroll and the other the power stone. Also a block of 20+ executioners. im just having difficulties doing it without chopping up my knights.
Saltrock
Slave on the Altar

Post by Saltrock »

If your looking to scrape up some points;

I don't think at 1500pts that you need 3 characters, especially with one of them as a supreme sorcerous, so I would forget the idea of that extra lvl2 Fire sorcerous. Don't forget you also have your warlocks to cast with. At a push you could drop down to a lvl3 and take a naked lvl1 fire caster, but not sure I would bother. Think I would be looking at a different lore as well with this list.

Drop the brace of RHB from your master and corsair champion, they might be fluffy but not needed.

You could risk dropping a Dark Shard or two. If your fielding them in 2 ranks then dropping one (2 ranks of 7) will still work fine, but if you were thinking of reforming them to 3 of 5, chances are you would have lost that one extra guy and that extra rank from previous wounds anyway. 12 might even be enough just to sit on a flank. If you want a bulky bunker however, consider dropping up to 3 corsairs if you need to save points. If your trying to squeeze a block of executioners in anyway, then you might as well just use them to flank.

With RBTs I would only look at taking a minimum of 2 and use them against the same target each turn (unless the first one kills off the target). 1 D3 wound bolt or 6 arrows is just about okay, for what your paying, but you wont be decimating any unit with it and your looking for a lucky bolt that kills off a weakened monster. 2 RBTs potentially kill monsters outright or makes up for if you miss with the first, and 12 S4 AP arrows is terrifying to a lot of units. Take 2 or drop the one.

Drop the warlock champion to save points. I would only bother if there was a character in the unit that I wanted the champion to accept challenges on behalf of. As there is no character in the unit, might as well loose him.

-Saltrock-
Lord Foster
Trainee Warrior

Post by Lord Foster »

Thanks for the reply. i forgot to mention i would be expanding up to 2500 so ill save the caster and executioners for those lists

The extra caster was purely for death/fire signature spells never forgot about the doomlocks but they are well known and thus targeted heavily. As a result they are either in combat, fleeing or wiped out and not casting and the enemy always saving 3 dice to hopefully despel doombolt

I never thought about dropping the bolt thrower. i always put the sorceress in the shards and parked them next to the RBT to support it in the shooting phase. But it doesnt do much before falling anyway :(

The plan is to switch this list to full fast cav with cold ones being the big block using malus As a general and mounted sorceress and a ped master (seems like an auto-include to me) at higher points
IcemanDraich
Trainee Warrior

Post by IcemanDraich »

You could try to add another doomfire unit of 5. It's cheaper than a lvl 2 sorceress. U get another powerful combat unit, a channel and they can't focus on both because warlocks at 1500 are very though.
Ld 8 is sometimes fail because of panic so u could try to put one unit near the bsb and one near the general.

The first thing that i've learned playing them, even if i'm pretty noob, is the fact that DE need to be played agressive on any front, that way the opponent have to choose. That doesn't mean charging everything but threat everything...both flank and the centre at the same time. Split your charachter, if you have a big block at high points you can babysit a deathstar but at 1500 isn't so easy. So if you have a sorceress and a bsb. Don't put them togheter. The bsb will fight if you equip him for that so make is life worth the points, the sorc won't so bsb in one unit the sorceress into another. If they drop template they have to chose between the two. If they shot they have to chose, warlock or sorceress? By the way if u run the sorceress near one warlock unit or into it that unit got ld 9/10 that is amazing. The other one got bsb, panic problem solved.

I think that put your sorceress into Darkshards cut her potential by half. If you mount her on a steed you got a more survivable mage, she can now flee, can move 18" a turn, can go behind enemy lines, can vanguard, can go om her own and drop a 6 dice purple sun into the flank of those slow dwarves. Can reach any point of the table with a 24" spell (24+18= 32" its an impressive range) if she mistcast and you got an explosion, ho many shards will die? Too many...but who care if some Dark Riders Die?

That's just for 10/20 points? I think the only reason to make her on foot is when you got lores like life/dark and want to boost your footman deathstar, in any other case i would make her ride.

An interesting solution to let her survive close combat (in the case that you want your Dark Rider unit to punch some chaff) is to buy the full command and run the unit 3 wide. That way she can't be harmed by cc if you have a unit of 5 you won't lose any shooting or attacks from the knights. If the unit is bigger, try to keep the sorceress out of combat refoeming wider than opponent.

If you run her into warlock instead she become a magnet and warlocks lose combat potential, but sometimes that could be nice too.

I hope that help you out :) have fun
Lord Foster
Trainee Warrior

Post by Lord Foster »

Thanks for the advice. I ended up losing against the high elf. Ive been playing in a summer campaign and ive held up pretty well against warriors of chaos, just beat him the other day :) but the bretonian player is one tough cookie he plays his army well and is a seasoned player.

And ive begun using malus with the cold one knights