Dragon ETC (Updated)

Get critiqued on your latest army here...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

f4n745y
Trainee Warrior

Dragon ETC (Updated)

Post by f4n745y »

Hi everybody! Sorry for my English :P

Mi first list in Druchii.net, please help me make a good ETC list and use it well. I want to include a Dragon in my list and expect to be competitive:

2400 ETC Dark Elves:

NEW LIST IN A POST BELOW

[+] SPOILER
General, Dreadlord (557p)
- Dragon
- Full 1+ Armour save.
- Ogre Blade
- The Other TS.
- Talisman of Preservation.

Supreme Sorceress (315p)
- Dark Steed
- L4,life Dark Magic.
- Ring of Hotek.
- Dispell Scroll

BSB, Master (213)
- Pegasus.
- Full 1+ AS
- Lance.
- Cloak of T.

9 Dark Riders (200p) <-- Supreme Sorceress
- Musician, SB
- Shield
- Xbow.

5 Dark Riders (110)
- Musician
- Shield
- Xbow.

11 Witches (131p)
- Musician

11 Witches (131p)
- Musician

14 Darkshards (212p)
- Musician. SB.
- Shield
- Flaming Banner.

4 x Reaper BT (280p)

5 Doomfire Warlocks (125p)

5 Doomfire Warlocks (125p)

TOTAL: 2399p

What do you think about the list?

Thanks!
Last edited by f4n745y on Tue May 26, 2015 12:27 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Ajattaro
Executioner

Re: My first list here, ETC (Updated)

Post by Ajattaro »

Looks nice. I think you should test that list out as it is and see what works and what doesn't. Those darkshards aren't the most efficient choice, but they sure have their place in this list with flaming banner and lots of shooting!

Only one thing bothers me is that your dragon will be quite lonely on the field. You dont have any other strong combat units, and the dragon alone is not immortal... you could put all the warlocks into one unit to make them strong combat unit. You already have lots of magic and you wont need two separate warlock units.

Also I dont think that Life works best with this list. It can heal the dragon for sure, but other lores like Shadow or Beasts has a lot more beneficial spells for this list.
f4n745y
Trainee Warrior

Re: My first list here, ETC (Updated)

Post by f4n745y »

Thanks for the advice!

Sorry, the Lore is Dark Magic, I had life in the other list and I didn't change it. Shadow is very good too, I chose DM due to the plus 5, both lores are fine. I agree Darkshards are not best options for basics, but I can get into trouble with regeneration units.

I split Warlocks to have Soulblight twice. It is true I don't have nice CC units, I just hope I can harass them before engage, and multiple charge them with both witches and heroes if it's necessary.

Bye!
f4n745y
Trainee Warrior

Dragon ETC (Updated)

Post by f4n745y »

I've played some games and I've made some changes.
I like RBT but I think shades are going to do better, I also drop the darkshards, I prefer raiders, and I don't show the place of my L4 until she is deployed. I have another pegasus too.

Champions negate challenges when I charge with pegasus or Dragon.

The list:

2400 ETC Dark Elves:

General, Dreadlord (557p)
- Dragon
- Full 1+ Armour save.
- Ogre Blade
- The Other TS.
- Talisman of Preservation.
or
- Ogre Blade
- Dragon egg.

Supreme Sorceress (270p) 1 Choice
- Dark Steed
- L4, (Dark Magic/Metal). Beast
- Ring of Hotek.
- Dispell Scroll
- Ironcurse Icon

Master (184) 1 Choice
- Pegasus.
- Full 1+ AS
- Lance.
- Cloak of T.

BSB, Master (213) 1 Choice
- Pegasus.
- Full 1+ AS
- Lance.
- HA 4++ Ward

10 Dark Riders (210p)
- Musician,Champ
- Shield
- Xbow.

10 Dark Riders (210p)
- Musician, Champ
- Shield
- Xbow.

16 Witches (196p)
- Musician, champ

10 Shades (180p)
- Musician
- GW

10 Shades (180p)
- Musician
- GW

5 Harpies (75p)

5 Doomfire Warlocks (125p) 1 Choice

More than 50% characters 1 Choice

TOTAL: 2400p
Last edited by f4n745y on Tue May 26, 2015 11:28 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Thraundil
Malekith's Best Friend

Re: Dragon ETC (Updated)

Post by Thraundil »

I'd go with build 1 for the dragon lord. You dont want him without a ward save ;) and metal lore on the lvl 4. Unless you want to pick up lore of shadows. When you have 5 locks for the magic missile goodness, dark lore will 'not bring that much to the table'.

Also. I'd honestly consider dumping the witch elves, and upping the dark riders to 2x15 if you have the models for this. Do you use full ETC rules, ie. scenarios? If so, include standard bearers on the DR's. You may have to drop crossbows on one unit to keep within the 40 RxB limit, but... 15 DR will be a lot less prone to panic than 10, and I assume they are your supreme sorceress bodyguard. 16 witches are just points that an opponent can elect to take from you, whereas 5 more DR's in both units are suddenly points he can never take unless you let him.

I'd consider giving your BSB the 4+ ward and your 'other master' the cloak. It sounds strange yes - but sometimes, you will want your cloaked up peg to hunt cannons or bolt throwers or the like, but on the other hand you do not want your BSB to leave the rest of your army alone. Yes yes, BSB with just 4+ ward vs shots and magic rather than 3+ is a shame, but then again. You should never let your BSB take a cannon hit in the first place.

Finally - shades are skirmishers, they reform for free. There's no need for a musician in these units. Swap for one more shade, or alternatively, a standard bearer if you do play with scenarios.

Edit: oh, and I'd honestly skip the champion on the DR units. You really dont want to charge DR's into a dragon's fight... What will happen when your dragon flunks, and your soft soft T3 4+ armor save dark riders start dying and give up combat resolution? 'cos they sure as heck aint gonna kill anything with S3 attacks :)
Name: Ladry (female)
Class: Mage (Pyromancer)
Equipment: Staff, longsword, dagger, 20 gold, insignia ring.
Skills: Power of Aqshy (2), defensive figthing
WS4, S2, T3, D4, I6.
f4n745y
Trainee Warrior

Post by f4n745y »

Thanks for your answer!

First, I miss with magical item, I meant Black amulet, I just wrote dragon egg :P Still prefer 1º build.

In magic, I'm thinking abut Beasts, it has some nice buff for characters and a canon ball. I changed my ring of hotek and musicians in shades for 5 Harpies.

I don't have so many Dark riders, so I will keep my witches. But I will change this if I get more.

Giving the 4+ to my BsB sounds well, I can keep him close to my units and let the other do the dirty work.

Musician in shades was for the plus 1 when rally, but doesn't seem necessary.

I edited my list with changes.
Thraundil
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Thraundil »

The black amulet only works for the dreadlord... If ever you end in a challenge where it would make a difference (e.g. vs a chaos lord with S7) theres any chance he will just target the dragon down... And you really want OTS on the dragon so ward saves taken against his attacks must be rerolled if they are passed :)

Beasts could be very nice. Another one to consider is lore of life. Healing wounds on the dragon is massive, and giving it T8-10 is equally massive. Suddenly 4 bolt throwers go from 2 wounds average to well below 1 ;)

However - keep the ring of hotek. If you stick close to your BSB and dragon with the sorceress bunker, enemy magic are looking at twice the risk of a miscast. If this does not make him reconsider that 5 dice infernal gateway, nothing will :)
Name: Ladry (female)
Class: Mage (Pyromancer)
Equipment: Staff, longsword, dagger, 20 gold, insignia ring.
Skills: Power of Aqshy (2), defensive figthing
WS4, S2, T3, D4, I6.
f4n745y
Trainee Warrior

Post by f4n745y »

I was looking something below 100p if I need to sacrifice something, harpies are good because they fly and are cheap. I didn't want to lose my ring of Hotek but everything in my list is necessary. I will play both, and then I will decide.

Thanks for your advice, I will post my results ;)
f4n745y
Trainee Warrior

Post by f4n745y »

Well, I've played against Orcs (savages, trolls, fanatics and Warmachines, tipical ETC gun line list) And I won 11-9, it is hard to win against gun lines and not suffer casualties.

Anyway, I don't like Lore of Beast at all, I think Dark Magic, shadows, metal or even life could be better. And I finally took ring of hotek, but I didn't need it, put units too close against warmachines is not a good idea. (so 18 witches and no harpies)

I will keep this list for now, maybe 2 or 3 more games before making any change (except for the Lore, I will switch each game I think) and maybe changing shades for Bolt Throwers will be my first choice, but there are a lot of scenery, so I will keep shades for now.

Thanks for the advice! And sorry for my English, I've made a lot of grammatical mistakes for sure :oops:
Coop
Dark Rider

Post by Coop »

It looks like a very cool list! I can see how picking the lore is a difficult choice. When I initial read the post and saw life on the sorceress, I thought it was a super smart idea because dragons are huge cannon magnets. So if your opponent picks off 3-4 wounds from the dragon, you can start to gain them back from the lore of life attribute.

Personally, I would try to fit the RBT back in there. You have a very maneuverable list and I think the fact that RBT can't move makes it better. You can place them across your backfield and then if your opponent wants to kill them, they have to spread their forces apart to move all across the table. That sets you up for a lot of counter charge options from all of your cav. It will increase target saturation and your opponent can't target them with range unless they want your dragon to run around without being shot. Also, bolt throwers just wreck certain units (like skinks). Though shades are very good also, so it comes down to personal preference and play testing.
f4n745y
Trainee Warrior

Post by f4n745y »

That's a good point, I would like to reduce shades to 2 units of 5 and witches to 16 and add 3 RBT to the list, but I have 6 choices, so I need to sacrifice something. I think Shadow is a good lore (-T, -Mov, Pit of shades, mindrazor, double movement in a character...) in a shoothing list, and some spells remains in play.

Small change in list: 19 witches (champ, mus) 2x9 riders (mus) 2x11 Shades (GW) or 7,7,8 shades (GW). Shades are cheaper than riders and shoot better ;)

Thanks!