1000pts vs High Elves

Get critiqued on your latest army here...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

herpesFree
Trainee Warrior

1000pts vs High Elves

Post by herpesFree »

I've been playing a few games against my friend who has a few armies but recently he picked up the IoB box. He's been using the High Elves and I've played my first games all against them.

He likes to sit back and shoot with his bolt thrower, the core dudes with spears and bows, and he fireballs with his mage which is usually tucked inside the spear dudes. He runs deflection with some fast cav and he also has an eagle for good measure. And waiting to sweep up the dregs when I finally reach him are the Hoeth Sworders.

I decided to use cold ones, warlocks, a block of 20 black ark corsairs with AHW, and 2 RBT. My hope is to get to him early, doombolt and soulblight whatever I can, RBT whatever I can, and then wipe kick his butt with CoK and warlock in the flanks and corsairs in the face region.

Here's the list:

+++ DarkElves_1000 (1000pts) +++

+ Heroes (128pts) +

Master (128pts) [Battle Standard Bearer, Cold One, Great Weapon, Hand Weapon, Heavy Armor, Light Armor, Sea Dragon Cloak, Shield]
····Banner or Magic items
········Magic standard (no limit) [Gleaming Pennant]

+ Core (272pts) +

Blackark Corsairs (272pts) [Hand Weapon, Light Armor, Musician, Reaver, Sea Dragon Cloak, Standard bearer]
····22x Blackark Corsairs [22x Additional hand weapons]

+ Rare (250pts) +

Doomfire Warlocks (125pts) [5x Doomfire Warlocks]

Doomfire Warlocks (125pts) [5x Doomfire Warlocks]

+ Special (350pts) +

Cold One Knights (210pts) [6x Cold One Knights, Dread Knight, Hand Weapon, Heavy Armor, Lance, Musician, Shield, Standard bearer]

Reaper Bolt Thrower (70pts)
····Dark Elf [Hand Weapon, Light Armor]

Reaper Bolt Thrower (70pts)

Created with BattleScribe

Master BSB goes in with CoK. I was wondering if I could run them 7 wide?

Will this work against High Elves?
DarkSky
Corsair

Re: 1000pts vs High Elves

Post by DarkSky »

I think this list will utterly crush your High Elf opponent if he plays the units you described.

Comments:
1. Your list is not legal, your master needs to be the general, who is not allowed to be the Battle Standard Bearer.
2. Even if your list would be legal, the Gleaming Pennant would be useless, as you get one re-roll max and the BSB already provides this. Give your master some magic items instead. I like Dawnstone on the BSB.
3. If you remove the BSB but fear failed stupidity tests, then give the +1 LD banner to the CoKs. On LD10 the chance of failing a morale test is only 1/12.
4. Generally I would not give the master a great weapon, especially not versus High Elves. Either take a halberd or lance.
5. If you want to commit fully to be the agressor and make your list even stronger, swap in some Dark Riders for the Corsairs and maybe even replace the RBTs with more cavalry or a chariot. Alternatively if you want a BSB, with an additional master.
My Blog containing battle reports and painting updates: https://bleaklegion.wordpress.com
herpesFree
Trainee Warrior

Post by herpesFree »

Alrighty. I dropped both the RBTs (I'm thinking double doombolts will be more than enough for range) and took another master for general who'll bunker in with the corsairs. I took more corsairs over the riders cause I wanna try them out for a game or two. I also dropped the great weapon, and the gleaming pennant too. What do you think? Aim is to flank with mounted stuff and walk up the guts with the corsairs.

+++ DarkElves_1000 (999pts) +++

+ Heroes (245pts) +

Master (121pts) [Banner or Magic items, Battle Standard Bearer (25pts), Cold One (12pts), Halberd (2pts), Hand Weapon, Heavy Armor (4pts), Light Armor, Sea Dragon Cloak (6pts), Shield (2pts)]
····Always Strikes First, Fear, Hatred (High Elves), Murderous Prowess, Stupidity, Thick-Skinned

Master (124pts) [Additional Hand Weapon (2pts), Hand Weapon, Heavy Armor (4pts), Light Armor, Sea Dragon Cloak (6pts), Shield (2pts)]
····Always Strikes First, Extra attacks, Hatred (High Elves), Murderous Prowess
····Banner or Magic items (40pts)
········Magic Items (100 pts) (40pts)
············Enchanted Items (15pts) [Other Trickster's Shard (15pts)]
············Talismans (25pts) [Dawnstone (25pts)]

+ Core (294pts) +

Blackark Corsairs (294pts) [Hand Weapon, Light Armor, Musician (10pts), Reaver (10pts), Sea Dragon Cloak, Standard bearer (10pts)]
····Always Strikes First, Hatred (High Elves), Murderous Prowess
····24x Blackark Corsairs (264pts) [24x Additional hand weapons (48pts)]

+ Special (210pts) +

Cold One Knights (210pts) [6x Cold One Knights (180pts), Dread Knight (10pts), Hand Weapon, Heavy Armor, Lance, Musician (10pts), Shield, Standard bearer (10pts)]
····Always Strikes First (Riders only), Fear, Hatred (High Elves) (Riders only), Murderous Prowess, Stupidity, Thick-Skinned

+ Rare (250pts) +

Doomfire Warlocks (125pts) [5x Doomfire Warlocks (125pts)]
····Always Strikes First (Riders only), Cursed Coven, Fast Cavalry, Hatred (High Elves) (Riders only), Murderous Prowess, Prey of the Dark Prince

Doomfire Warlocks (125pts) [5x Doomfire Warlocks (125pts)]
····Always Strikes First (Riders only), Cursed Coven, Fast Cavalry, Hatred (High Elves) (Riders only), Murderous Prowess, Prey of the Dark Prince

Created with BattleScribe
DarkSky
Corsair

Post by DarkSky »

Looks better I think :)

Just two remarks:

1. Your masters won't be using their shields once in close combat, since your weapons (additional hand weapon and halberd) both require two hands. You can use them against shooting and magic though. But the BSB already has 1+ armour, so the shield is useless.
2. Your Corsairs are big enough to get a magic banner. You could drop one shield and one to three corsairs to free up the points to give them a banner. Personally I'd like the Banner of Swiftness, which would allow the Corsairs to better keep up with your cavalry. Just pick one you like and during the next battle try to think about which banner you would have liked most.
My Blog containing battle reports and painting updates: https://bleaklegion.wordpress.com
herpesFree
Trainee Warrior

Post by herpesFree »

I had the other trickster shard on the general which was pointless considering none of his guys have ward saves. I dropped that and picked up the swiftness banner.

Cheers.