First Tournament with Druchiis - 2777 points

Get critiqued on your latest army here...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

MeuhMeuh
Slave on the Altar

First Tournament with Druchiis - 2777 points

Post by MeuhMeuh »

Hello there !

So, in September (yes it's far from now, but this will leave me time to paint the army as said in my introduction topic ^^) I'll attend a 2777 points tournament and I want to play Dark elves there.

The format is uncomped, without any of the End of Times rules/unit (no 50% lord/heroes).
No special characters allowed.
No triple entry of the same unit in any army, no double rare entry in armies (except from HE RBTs).
W/D/L Format with victory at 300 points.
Bonus points if the list close exactly on 2777pts !

Here is the list :

Dread Lord on Pegasus : Full Mundane armor, Ogre Blade, Black Amulet. - 307pts
Suprem Sorceress on Dark Steed : Level 4 of Shadow, Tome of Furion, Talisman of preservation - 310pts

Master BSB on Pegasus : Full Mundane armor, Lance, Cape of Twilight - 213pts
Sorceress on Dark Steed : Level 2 of Dark Magic, Dispell Scroll, Obsidian Ring - 165pts
Death Hag - Blood stuff (gives frenzy), -1AS blade - 95pts
Assassin - Potion of Strengh, DeathBlow poison - 132pts

10 Dark Riders - Crossbows, Shields, Musician, Std Bearer - 220pts
5 Dark Riders - Crossbows, Shields, Musician - 110pts
14 Witches - Musician, Std Bearer - 174pts
14 Witches - FCG, Eternal Flame Banner - 194pts

20 Executionners - FCG, Banner of Swiftness - 275pts
2 RBTs - 2x70pts
2x6 Shades - 2x96pts

10 Doomfire Warlocks - 250pts

Total : 2777 points

Okay.
I had a hard time closing the exact magic number but I did it !

The list is pretty usual, I think, so let me just explain my choices towards some of the less usual stuff.

Dreadlord Gear : I am still debating what I want on him. Ogre blade is too good to pass up, I think. The thing is that I would really love OTS on him, but with the talisman of preservation taken by the Sorceress I was left with only that or the Destiny armor, and I think that the black amulet is way better. I don't want to leave the suprem sorceress without ward save, she is too valuable and costy.

Hag : Well, playing executionners makes me think I need to play her aswell. The -3 ld to frenzy checks can be a pain in the arse, but without it executionners looks weak to me. I gave her a magic weapon with the only purpose of dealing with etheral units. She feels wierd in this list but I think that without her, executionners are not worth taking.

Witches : With no Triple entry of the same kind, I couldn't go full Dark riders anyway. I don't like the basic DE infantry, so this left me with witches. I could either go a horde with cauldron hag, or two smaller units. I prefer the more MSU style, that allows more flexibility (also, I find the cauldron to be weak as it is so easy to redirect and make this huge point sink useless for most of the game).

The witches mostly explain the choice of the level 4 of shadow => Okham mindrazor in mind. I know it's hard to pull off against a smart opponent, but the simple threat of this combo being around is enough for me to take it. I love to apply psychological pressure.
I don't like Death anyway and I won't play it, there is no fun in this lore (it's either blast blast blast or 6 dices purple sun, I don't like it). For the second Sorceress, I'm not sure about the dark magic lore. But I thought that with "only" one doomfire unit I could really use a second doombolt, as well as some spells from the lore that sinergyze well with shadow (bladewind, black horror...). I could go for beast aswell but I don't think it's really needed in my list. Metal can be usefull aswell, but level 2 makes it hard to cast those searing dooms you want. Tell me what you think !
About the gear of the second sorceress : I mostly plan to field both sorceress in the warlocks (but can change depending on match up) and this explain the obsidian ring.

Shades : I hesitated on taking a unit of harpies but I sticked with shades for two reason : I want to be able to do my vanguards, and also I already got the models (ghost warriors but painted in DE). Also, I think they are cool with their BS5.

Executionners : Well I hesitated with them and the black guard. But I found out that I need some High Str hitters to be able to deal with 1+ stuff. With the hag, if I'm carefull enough playing them, I can probably deal enough damage with the help of the assassin. The thing with the black guard is that it won't fit the idea of the list, being a very defensive unit. They won't do a lot more, even with a razor standard that the witches could do anyway.

Assassin : I had some points remaining, and I didn't really know where to put them. I find it cool, this might be the "weaker" part of my list but to be honest, I didn't know where to put the excess 120 points I had.

That is "all", tell me your thoughs about it !
Lord hajjij
Rotting skull on the Glottkin trail

Re: First Tournament with Druchiis - 2777 points

Post by Lord hajjij »

If "blood stuff" = "Witchbrew", then that's a 30 point upgrade. Combined with the Biting Blade, your Death Hag is 125 points.

Tome of Furion is completely useless on someone who isn't using the Lore of Dark Magic - read the description again.

I like the assassin, but keep in mind that you need to use your potion at the beginning of the TURN, so you can't use it if you plan to reveal him in the close combat phase. As such, that combo really has never worked for me. Take a look here - http://www.druchii.net/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=72879 - for some ideas of other combos.

Your army seems pretty fragile for 2777 points. You have less than 70 bodies. You're going to be in deep trouble against any army that has like a hellblaster/organ gun, flame templates, chariots, (impact hits hit before ASF) good shooting/magic missile output.

As a bare minimum, I'd drop 1 unit of shades and one warlock and bump the Executioners up to 30.
So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong and to strike at what is weak.

-Sun Tzu
MeuhMeuh
Slave on the Altar

Re: First Tournament with Druchiis - 2777 points

Post by MeuhMeuh »

Hey Ajjij !

Thanks for the reply !

Yeah, I missed the cost of it in my army creator website.. So I did what you suggested, switched the tome and the scroll between the sorceress, downed the Warlocks to 8, got rid of one unit of shades and pumped the executionners to 28 members.
Also I changed the gear of the assassin for OTS, -1 to hit armor and the Killing Blow poison. (I still think I need something to deal with high armor save stuff, but I want an OTS in my army.

I played a friend of mine on Universal Battle to test my army (and play DE for the first time, aswell).
He had :
-Nurgle PD lvl 4 of death all kitted
-BSB Daemonic Mount, 3++ reroll 1's
-Lvl 2 Metal on disk, mark of tzeench.
-Some cavalry and doggies
-4 Skullcrushers
-2 Charriots, 1 bigger chariot
-1 Hellcanon

Needless to say I was crushed hard. I didn't really know what to do and played agressive for some reason, while not being as careful as I am usually with my moves (allowing a chimera breath on the warlocks.. Herm.). Anyway, it helped me to see how the list should be used on the table. Some things : I am not sure about the assassin gear. I looked at your topic and there is some interesting combos, but in the end I have to choose one :p
I think that using him as a portable OTS is good with what I have. Execs can somewhat deal with high armor save, but without anyway to break regens or ward save for that matter, he could help the unit roll over numerous things.

Other tweaks in mind : changing the lore of the lvl 2. Black magic is good but is best on a lvl 4 with the +5 to cast, as the spells are quite hard to pull off (doombolt 12+). Therefore, as I wish to keep my lvl 4 of shadow, I think I might go with the metal, to add another threat on the table (same as Okham's Mindrazors, a smart opponent won't allow me to cast searing doom on his cowboys/1+ cavalry. But then he cannot dispell everything that is threatfull in my magic phase and I like it more).

Tell me your thoughs !