Last tournament in 8th - 2400 ETC

Get critiqued on your latest army here...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Falstaff
Beastmaster

Last tournament in 8th - 2400 ETC

Post by Falstaff »

Hi!

It's been a while since I last posted a list. Indeed, my last tournament I played in january - with Chaos Dwarves. Now I'll return to the battlegrounds once more, in order to lead my elven brethren into battle one last time.

And because of that, I'm not going to play one of those typical ETC lists (aka lots of pegasus and fast cav). As 9th will very likely bring skirmish-type brawls, I want bodies. I want an army! So here's my last array.

Dreadlord, Pegasus, 1+ AS, ToP 4++ WS, Ogre blade +2 Strength, General A lord, in command of the last outpost will lead this last stand. | He's my typical allrounder with some tankability and some punch
Supreme Sorceress, Dark Steed, Dark Magic, Scroll Big Bertha.. I have always played death or a light council as Dark has never worked for me. But I do want to try a lvl4 Dark this final time.

Death Hag, CoB Pushed by witches into the onslaught
Noble, Steed, BSB, 1+ AS, Dragonhelm, Great Weapon, Dawnstone, Rxb I have never played this setup of a BSB as I value rerolls to hit so much. But in this tournament, a fellow player and rival will bring Chaos Dwarves and I have actually never beaten him (quite unfortunatelly) and thus, I'd like to put the possibly best setup against a Destroyer (grinding over passive combat resolution). Also, he's quick and has some punch in him.

25 Witches, Razor banner, full command deployed 8 wide (with CoB) 11 wide for horde formation and large frontage. Those ladies will cut through anything meaty, as we all know
10 Dark Riders, full command, shields, rxb My bunker
5 Dark Riders, shields, rxb

30 Executioners, full command The punch, dealing with high armour.
3x RBT

5 Warlocks

So this is actually a mix between my light council list and a list with avoidance. Witches and Executioners can actually be broken if things go wrong but they will make the opponent pay. My commanding chars are quite fast and thus I can always save ~1000 points of my list if things go awry. On the other side, if I get the right matchups (i.e. meaty stuff), this army will wreak face. Against a lot of armies I can or must play defensively, dishing out ranged damage via double bolts.

One option I'm thinking about is cutting the banner from my bunker and getting the flaming banner for my Executioners. Most opponents won't expect it there, as the common notion is, that a flaming banner is played with witches. I do want the flaming banner, though, as vampires tend to field 2x8 crypt horrors were I play and demons like to clog the field with beasts of nurgle. On the downside, lots of potent characters that I will want to tackle with my Executioners will carry a 2++ against flaming cannons (e.g. WoC demon princes) .. so I'm torn.

As for the restrictions, I'm at a maximum already (3 characters on Steeds and Pegasus, 1 RBTs, 1 5 Warlocks). So there's no option here. I don't see me cutting my BSB and putting the BSB on the Hag, as she's a liability and always falls at some point or other during battle (I'm mentioning this as this could open a slot for further 5 Warlocks).

So, I hope you can give me some comment and feedback, especially on what to expect with ETC 2015. Will there be lots of special characters? Unfortunatelly, I have no experience with etc 2015 as I haven't been able to play (I'm a happy dad now.. with few time and space for my hobby).
triouto
Trainee Warrior

Re: Last tournament in 8th - 2400 ETC

Post by triouto »

Are you sure this list is legal? I always understood the "2 (or part thereof) character models riding other mounts" to mean that you can get up to two characters riding on other mounts than DP or DS for one ETC pick. English is not my native language however, so could be I'm mistaken?

Talking about the Death Hag mounted on CoB.

Anyway. List looks pretty good to me. As you say, you can deny lots of points with your characters if things go bad, and on the other hand those big blocks pack nice punch and take some effort to wipe away. Honestly, I'd drop the great weapon on the BSB. Almost nothing sucks as much as whiffed to-hit rolls on high str attacks.. Take a lance, or even a halberd.

Dark magic is a rare choice for me nowadays, but it sure has it's uses. I'd go for metal with this list though. Big blocks of execs love enchanted blades of aiban, and WE and execs in those sizes would both love glittering robe.

::edit:: nevermind about the legality, I either read the AR carelessly or thought about an older draft..."above 1" at the end of the sentence :P