Force Multipliers In the DE Army

Where the great threads of Druchii.net are kept

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Underway
Silver Khaine Winner

Post by Underway »

Ok going by your definition quinn wouldn't you say that the speed inherent in a unit of DR
is the ability to accurately and precisely deliver that capability at the appropriate time

??

I don't agree that advanced technology is required to make a force multiplier such. In the combat arms of today this may be the case, but in the naval environment advanced technology has nothing to do with it. That is because of the fundamental differences in the environments and the requirements for each. You know the difference I am sure "the army equips men, the navy mans equipment". The naval definition of force multipliers therefore has nothing to do with advanced technology, but relies on combat units that can change the outcome of a battle significantly.

As such an my biasis are laid bare. For me a major piece of equipment (a ship) is the basic combat unit in a naval environment. Therefore force multipiers are equipment as well. No wonder the army guys on my base have a hard time understanding me when I talk tactics with them.

much of that time on various staffs and doctrine committees (the bane of the combat arms leader!, but required

Yah, I hate staffwork myself, but doctrine committees can be fun (if you aren't the one writting up the reports ;) )
Quinn
Cold One Knight

Post by Quinn »

I see your point, but let's look at it this way:

A company of tanks (approx. 20) by itself isn't normally going to sway a battle much if it just plows into an enemy force. However, if that same Co has real-time intel and is able to instantaneously call for the proper fire support it is going to 'multiply' it's impact on the battlefield.

I think the same can be said in the Navy, especially since most ships today are basically floating missile bases or airfields. If they can't find the enemy and target him then they aren't worth much. Just look at the Falklands war where relatively minor pieces of equipment had huge impacts on the overall outcome.

As I think about Warhammer, I think that items that make units more effective than the unit inherently is are 'force multipliers'. Since we use dice to come up with an outcome, I see anything that substantially improves your ability to hit and do damage along these lines. Certainly a unit can be of force multiplier (The JSTARS or AWACS platforms are an example), but I guess I think more about the increased capability that unit brings to others than the actual unit itself.

I've always appreciated you squids, we always need someplace to get a hot meal, reequip and launch our raids from !lol! .

//quinn
Pain?....you don't even know what pain is.....yet.
Underway
Silver Khaine Winner

Post by Underway »

I've always appreciated you squids, we always need someplace to get a hot meal, reequip and launch our raids from

Don't forget the hot shower. Never forget that part. !lol!
Druchii marquis
Executioner

Post by Druchii marquis »

My hat's off to all who posted a reply to Underway's message.....very well executed study! I personally feel inspired and I will start taking into account all the BCUs, FMs, and SUs of every race (except DE coz you all seem to have shown us wot our BCU, FM, and SU units are!) and then post them here, on this page!

It will not only help every1, but it'l help me also!

I wanted to say that b4 i go to bed coz it's 1.30AM here and I needa wake up at 6AM for school! I'm knackered!
"Today I'm handin' out ass-whoopins and lollipops, and I'm all outta lollipops!"
Malekith, the Witch King of Naggaroth
Molloch
Slave on the Altar

Post by Molloch »

Forgive me for wading into this erudite discussion with my first post (and hello everybody!) but I disagree with the position that a COC could be used as a BCU. It strikes me that a BCU as Underway has stated must necessarily be able to hold its own for n number of turns in close combat. A CoC cannot do this reliably - its main impact, if you'll excuse the pun, is in its charge. Once it loses momentum it's effectiveness is severely limited. CoCs need to hit and run and not get mired in extended melees - they should be applied decisively.

All great cavalry commanders in history realised this. Take Alexander for instance. The companion cavalry were undisputably the decisive element in his army but they relied on the enemy being pinned in place by the phalanx before rolling up the enemy line. The phalanx could win alone, but the engagement would be a exercise in atrition. I'm drifting a bit off topic but I hope I've made my point.
Banshee
Highborn
Location: I say go, she say yes, Dim the light, you can guess the rest!

Post by Banshee »

What noone so far has considered is another FM: Leadership! Take a MSU style list. You will have to roll a lot of leadership test throughout the game. Only a sufficient high leadership value will prevent your units from breaking apart.
Damnation wrote:And remember, every time you use excessive punctuation, a random brain lobe deactivates itself.
Cenyu wrote:Warhammer: Age of Reckoning: Introducing BOB ROSS as Malekith's new personal paint artist!