A fresh look at Executioners: A Tactical Dissection

Where the great threads of Druchii.net are kept

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Mord.
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Mord. »

I think you're trying to fix a problem you needn't make. The executioners are a unit for hitting power and support, why would you take hand weapons when you can easily take +2S IMHO it's just foolish, if you SO desperately need to strike first with WS5 1A S3 instead of last with WS5 1A S5 I'd say you're fighting a combat you shouldn't have gotten into...
"The Angels sing the Devil's Song."
Lordfoulbane
Black Guard

Post by Lordfoulbane »

Lightning this has been discussed to death - pitty our search function doesn't work. The +1 IS applied to ALL units but only one unit per combat can claim it - much the same way you can only apply the bonus for 1 banner even if multiple units have banners.
De'lvaurius
Beastmaster

Post by De'lvaurius »

Has any one tried placing a BSB in a unit of executioners, and giving him the hydra banner, and giving the executioners the dread banner??
Bleys
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Bleys »

Yes to the first half, and it worked quite well the one time I've used it... granted it was against skaven, but it did account for three units (two clanrats and one slaves) as well as the general and an engineer.

As for the second half of that combo (the dread banner), I don't have the specifics in front of me, but isn't that banner worth too many points for the executioner standard bearer to be able to take it. I was pretty sure that the only unit that could take the dread banner without the use of a BSB was the black guard... but I could be wrong ;)
Currently Listening To: In Flames
Inquisitor black
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Inquisitor black »

You're right Bleys, I think he is referring to a BSB carrying the dread banner in the executioner unit.
Be not afraid of the dark, but of what the dark hides.
Drakken
Manipulator of the Masses

Post by Drakken »

The Combo you suggest is impossible. The Hydra Banner requires a BSB, and the Dread Banner requires either a BSB or Black Guard.
We stand now on the precipice of something monumental and perhaps even capable of boggling the mind in its myriad potentials and possibilities. Try not to drool too much…
The avenger
Beastmaster

Post by The avenger »

I always use a unit of 29 exes. With the banner of murder they have a longer charge range. With them I always use a noble with halberd and heartseeker (just in case). Hopefully he will reduce the attacks on the exes, and with a huge unit like this, they always have some good rankbonuses in the combat resolution. Sometimes they are helped by a chariot when they charge, so maybe the charged unit flees. I recommend to try this...
Darkspear
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Darkspear »

With them I always use a noble with halberd and heartseeker (just in case).

according to the rules, u cannot take a mundane weapon if u have a magic weapon
In my land, everyone calls me the darkspear. The most famous spearmen commander of all.
Masterofdarkness
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by Masterofdarkness »

Yes you can you just cant use it unless the magic weapon is destroyed.
Inquisitor black
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Inquisitor black »

Well what are the chances of that happening?
Be not afraid of the dark, but of what the dark hides.
Underway
Silver Khaine Winner

Post by Underway »

Good if you are fighting HE. Stupid ring of Corin...
Malda
Black Guard

Post by Malda »

Does CoBI prevent Ring of corin?
Give me more Druchii and I'll give you more blood
Dodgy
Shade

Post by Dodgy »

Back to helping the Executioners. This might have already been discussed and if that is the point, sorry for bringing it up again. Anyway, somewhere in the rulebook it says that a magic weapon ignores all of its mundane versions rules if not stated otherwise. So that should mean that The Draich Of Dark Power stikes with initiative instead of last like the ordinary draich. That is if I havent missed something about the weapon. I cant see anything in the COS list anyway that states it strikes last. Im going to assume that I havent missed anything. So take a noble, equip him with Draich Of Dark Power, HA and SDC. That costs 130 pts and it gives you a character with the killing blow ability, +2 in strenght and decent armour save. Compared that to the assassin who costs just 5 points less the nobles total without any equipment and upgrades...

The good sides I can think of with the noble is that you can dish out some good damage on the charge and you have a decent change of killing 3 opponents first in the second round of combat if none break after the first round. The downside is that you dont get to attack first if you are charged like an assassin could...

Or am I totally wrong?
Underway
Silver Khaine Winner

Post by Underway »

Nope totally right, I do belive that in my initial assesment i said something to the effect that Assasins are more expensive than a Noble but that strike first when charged ability my come in very handy if you get attacked by a charging enemy, and a noble can't help you there.
Ardent sinner
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Ardent sinner »

I just tried a unit of 24 Executioners as my main battle unit in a game v.s a High Elf Cavalry force last week with grerat success. I wanted to have a totally offensive infantry force and I think the Executioners are the best choice for this purpose.

I have tried them as flankers in a unit of 10-12 and they were excellent support/flankers. They are my first choice to support any other Infantry unit like Black Guard or a big Spearmen unit.

As your main Infantry unit I would always give them Banner of Murder. I have tried the Hydra Banner but it isn't that necessary in most cases. If you are depending on those extra attacks to turn the tide you are likely on your way to defeat anyway. With the extra numbers I found they had plenty of reserve to last through rounds of shooting, magic and my personal favorite, flame template attacks.

It worked out for me anyways, I am sure that there is always someone to disagree. As my own word of thumb I have to say that you need support for any infantry unit, maybe 2 units, maybe 1 in reserve in the back. Who knows who knows........there is a counter for everything.

If I were to go defensive I would use 18-20 Black Guard with 12 Exec's as support. Or/and 12 Witch Elves/CoC's
Cerulaetas
Highborn
Location: Behind you liek omg so whitty lolz I r unique lol!!11!1one wtf!

Post by Cerulaetas »

Umm... assassins always strike first when charged? Where does it say that? I've only seen that he strikes first on the turn he's revealed, not like the Skaven assassin which always strikes first in the first round of every combat.
Ashnari Doomsong wrote:So, you're saying that dwarf ironbreakers in HTH combat are heavy cavalry?
You're wierd...
Mord.
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Mord. »

A skaven assassin does not always strike first in the first round of combat, he may be revealed normally like a dark elf assassin, when he does that in reaction to a charge, he strikes first. ;)
"The Angels sing the Devil's Song."