One with the Night-FICTION CONTEST WINNER

Where the great threads of Druchii.net are kept

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Ragerunner
Wavemaster

One with the Night-FICTION CONTEST WINNER

Post by Ragerunner »

hello there, fellow Highborn! I am new to the board, but look forward to taking an active role in this great Druchii community...look for more from me in the future. Anyway, here is my contest entry. Read and enjoy, your feedback is more than welcome! :D

-rage

One with the Night

The wave-cutter Corvus slid through the frigid waters off the northern coast of Ulthuan's Isles. It was a sleek, sinister ship, rigged in the elven fashion, built for speed and stealth. Manned by a small, handpicked crew, the Corvus scudded under a sky pricked with stars, riding easily over the ocean swells. A pale moon hung heavy in the windswept night; its' baleful light casting an eerie glow over the white-tipped sea. A chill wind blew from the east, giving rippling life to the pair of black mainsails.

Wavemaster Drothalion stood at the stern of his ship, keeping a close watch as the Corvus neared Windspire Channel. His eyes skimmed the water, scanning for deadly rocks half-hidden by wind-churned spray. Content that his ship was safe for the moment, Drothalion let his eyes return to the black-cloaked figure standing at the shapely curved prow. Involuntarily, a shiver went down his spine-it was rare indeed for his vessel to transport a warrior as deadly as he. The dark-clad elf was Jhor Khyon, one of Khaine's chosen.

Khyon stood motionless, looking to the east, as he had been for hours. Ghostly ocean spray had frozen on his cloak, forming a silvery second skin. Regardless of his loyalty to the Witch King, Drothalion regretted ever allowing this shadowed elf onto his ship. The tall assassin exuded a quiet malice that unsettled all onboard, even Drothalion, a veteran of countless sea battles.

"How long before we reach shore, Wavemaster."
Drothalion jumped, he had not noticed Khyon leave his post. Cold sweat broke out on his brow.
"We will arrive shortly, Lord. If this wind holds, we should enter the bay within the hour."
The assassin smiled thinly, a horrible expression.
"Good. We wouldn't want to keep our prey waiting, now would we?"
It was a rhetorical question. Drothalion swallowed in a mouth suddenly gone dry.
Khyon looked into the Wavemasters' eyes, and Drothalion felt as if his very soul was being exposed bare to the wind.
"When I go inland, you will wait a mile offshore until I return. I shall signal when you are to retrieve me. Understood?"
"Yes, m'Lord"
"Very well. I will be in my cabin."
The assassin flowed away, leaving Drothalion trembling in his wake.

Sealed within the privacy of what was usually the Wavemasters cabin, Khyon opened a small cloth bag and began to prepare his poisons. Crushed mandrake root was mixed with extract of yraeba leaf, powdered bloodrock with oil of vermilion. He gazed with approval at his work. They were all here-Torlissa to blind and madden, K'ylar Thun to kill slowly and painfully, Vemial to paralyze and torment...

They were called many things in the crude human tongue-Black Lotus, Manbane, Crimson Eye-but only the beauty of the druchii tongue could so aptly describe the exquisite characteristics of these most ancient of killing methods. Khyon lovingly applied the poisons to his weapons, taking care not to cut himself on their razor sharp blades.
At last, all was ready.

Drothalion whispered curt orders to his crew as they approached the mouth of the bay. The formidable cliffs of Chrace reared out of the night, basalt fingers grasping at the sky. The massive bluffs ringed the bay, forming a natural fortress. Atop their lofty peaks were the many guard towers of the despised High Elf kin, always on a constant alert for raider fleets. Tonight, luck was with the crew of the Corvus. The cliff shadow cast by the moon extended far into the bay, concealing the black ships' approach. The twin sails had been stowed long before; now the Corvus advanced slowly, hugging the shoreline, riding on muffled oars towards the rocky beach.

With the gentlest of nudges, the wave-cutter brushed against the beach, and in an instant, Khyon had leapt soundlessly onto the ground, vanishing into the scattered shadows at the foot of the cliff face. The wave-cutter slowly backed out of the harbor, before turning and heading out to sea.

Ithalmiar patrolled the high walls of Windspire Keep, the sturdy haft of his spear marking out a slow tempo on the finely carved stone as he walked his circuit. He knew dawn wasn't far off, but he longed for the first rays of the sun to break above the horizon.

A chill wind picked up, stirring the folds of his sky-blue robe. High above, clouds obscured the sickly moon, further darkening the oppressive night. Ithalmiar's keen ears pricked up as he heard the faintest of sounds carried on the wind. He listened intently, but the sound did not repeat itself. Troubled, Ithalmair continued on his patrol.

Two hundred feet below the High Elf guard, Khyon was making his way steadily up the cliff face. Using an ingenious system of ropes and pegs, the druchii quickly ascended the sheer rock. His ears picked up the rhythmic tap tap tap of the guard's spear haft above the moaning of the wind, and allowed himself a cold smile.

Out of the corner of his eye, Ithalmiar saw a flicker of movement. He turned in surprise, only to be met by the wheeet of a flashing shuriken. The throwing star buried itself in his throat, poison paralyzing his larynx, stifling his scream before it even began.
With deceptive ease, Khyon hoisted the body on strong arms over the edge of the battlement and watched it fall to the rocks below. Without another glance, the assassin made his way to the elegant ivory staircase leading down to the interior courtyards of the Keep.

Prince Finnuvial sat at a desk of polished marble, meticulously putting the last touches on an evening's work. With a final brushstroke, Finnuvial completed the calligraphy, his tribute to Maervial, God of Laughter and Merriment. He sat back and sighed appreciatively, letting his mind float with the quiet chords of harp music that drifted through his stateroom. He smiled in delight- it truly was grand to be alive.

Khyon slowly picked his way through the gardens and plazas of Windspire Keep. He avoided guards when he could; killed them quietly when he could not. Advancing through the latticework of shadows beneath a grove of Taliia trees, he approached the central sanctuary, home of Prince Finnuvial. The quiet twitter of an evening shrike sounded off to his right. Khyon froze instantly, melting into the gloom. Something about that birdcall seemed... wrong. A movement caught his eye. For an instant, the moon appeared from behind its cloud cover, and glinted ever-so-slightly off the elegant quiver of an archer. The birdcall was answered by another, and then two more.

Ambush.

Thinking like a shadow, Khyon ghosted across to where he had spotted the archer. Camouflaged by a simple gray cloak, the High Elf was almost invisible against the trunk of the tree behind which he had taken cover. Khyon glided up behind him, clapping a firm hand over the archers' mouth while simultaneously sliding a wickedly sharp dagger in between his ribs. The archer fell quietly, and Khyon quickly stripped him of his armor and robes.

Amaliath shivered, despite himself. The cold wind rustled through the slender leaves of the Taliia trees, whispering their secrets to the sky. He gripped his bow tightly, eyes straining for any sign of the Druchii scum that had somehow penetrated the defences of Windspire Keep. The tall form of his fellow archer, Tithaliar, appeared at his side.
"Any sign of that thrice-cursed druchii?"
"Tithaliar, what are you doing? Get back into position."
The archer died with the reprimand on his lips, staring into the fierce eyes of the assassin. Wiping his dagger on the fallen elfs' cloak, Khyon shed his stolen uniform and replaced it with his black cloak. He smiled, enjoying the hunt.

One with the night, Khyon slunk past the final two ambushers, and made his way to a side gate of the inner sanctuary. A single guard stood by the sturdy door, but he fell to the silent kiss of a well-thrown shuriken. Contemptible, Khyon thought, for one so near the danger of the sea to be so lax with his security. Finnuvial deserved to die-he was the embodiment of everything the Druchii loathed. Grabbing the keys from the dead guard, Khyon entered the home of the High Elf prince.

The staggering opulence disgusted Khyon-gilded tapestries hung from the walls, elegant murals coated the ceilings. Even the floor was covered with the thickest and most luxurious carpet imaginable. Khyon climbed a spiral staircase, lit intermittently by flickering torchlight. En route to the Princes' chambers, the druchii encountered the servants' quarters. Without a second thought, he slew them all, pausing to cut the rune of Khaine onto all their foreheads. He continued up the staircase, which opened up into a magnificent audience gallery. Following floor plans memorized weeks in advance, Khyon reached Finnuvials' quarters just as he rang the bell for a servant. Khyon opened the elegant curved door and entered to find the High Elf Prince seated with his back to the assassin.

"Your speed is commendable, servant. Perhaps I shall give you a promotion...fetch me fresh ink and paper, and be quick about it." Khyon walked right up to the prince and casually slit his throat. He turned to go, but his eye was caught by the graceful calligraphy lying on the desk. Flipping the paper over, Khyon wrote a quick praise to Khaine in the princes' own blood, before stealing back out the way he had came.

An hour afterward, Khyon stood on a rocky bluff two miles up the coast from Windspire Keep. He flashed a carefully shielded green witchlight out to sea, and was quickly answered by the double flash of Drothalions' blue witchlight. Pleased with the Wavemaster's vigilance, Khyon settled back to wait for the Corvus.

It was three days later. Khyon stood motionless, looking to the west, as he had been for hours. The ocean swells were gentle in the pre-dawn light, and the Corvus rode easily as they sped for the safety of Karond Kar's mighty harbour. Khyon breathed deeply, smelling the salt of the Sea of Chill. His keen eyes glimpsed the first sight of the myriad towers of the Northern Port stabbing the sky in the far distance. A blood red sun rose slowly over distant peaks, and Khyon felt his cold heart rejoice.

It truly was grand to be alive.

well there you go, my contest entry. If you liked it, great, if you didn't, tell me why! :D In any case, I hope to regularly submit my work to help enrich this site, so look for more of my stuff in the not-so-distant future. Anyway, thank you for reading my story and good luck to all the contest entrants!

-rage
Last edited by Ragerunner on Thu Jan 09, 2003 12:25 am, edited 7 times in total.
Today is your victory over yourself of yesterday. Tomorrow is your victory over lesser men.
Imdat tauble
Master Babel Fish
Master Babel Fish

Post by Imdat tauble »

wow - that's an amazing story!

the story isn't in the exact style that i like it - i like a few more twists and turns myself :D, however, this is a great story nonetheless.
Ragerunner
Wavemaster

Post by Ragerunner »

hey, thanks! Yes, I agree that it's a simple story, but what can I say? I whipped it out in about an hour or two, and am pretty pleased with the results. Anyway, my next piece will be a bit more...convoluted. Thanks for taking the time to read and reply!

-rage
Last edited by Ragerunner on Mon Mar 31, 2003 5:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Today is your victory over yourself of yesterday. Tomorrow is your victory over lesser men.
Draconis venomblade
The Vengeful Spirit

Post by Draconis venomblade »

I loved the story. The only part i found was a typo when the prince rang for a servant. he said "you speed" just add a r. If i could ask a favor of you it would be for you to look over my story titled; Draconis's past or youth or something to that nature...
"How old are you lil' missie?"
"Sixteen"
"Eighteen you say! Well aw right!"
"MOM!"
"I like where this is goin... Giggetygiggety"

Aspect of the Vengeful Spirit
Ragerunner
Wavemaster

Post by Ragerunner »

okey dokey, I'll try and get around to it soon...

-rage
Draconis venomblade
The Vengeful Spirit

Post by Draconis venomblade »

Congratumalations Rage! :lol:
"How old are you lil' missie?"
"Sixteen"
"Eighteen you say! Well aw right!"
"MOM!"
"I like where this is goin... Giggetygiggety"

Aspect of the Vengeful Spirit
Coyote_sin
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Coyote_sin »

Excellent work, I love stories where assassins act like just that-assassins. Too may stories I have seen where the assassin charges in, kills everything, then decides to kill some more (though thus far not on here). Positively awesome.
"Even if I go to hell, I will live until the end of the world, and if the world does not come to an end, I will destroy it with my own hands!" -Lacan, Xenogears
Ragerunner
Wavemaster

Post by Ragerunner »

thanks for the kind words, good sir!

-rage
Oeric
Master Assassin

Post by Oeric »

im going to print it off and read it later tonight , but from the bit i read it sounds great
Do not fear death so much, but rather the inadequate life.
Ragerunner
Wavemaster

Post by Ragerunner »

sounds good to me!

-rage
Kaleth blackheart
Beastmaster

Post by Kaleth blackheart »

nice work......i trust that you are goin to do another story?
Aspect Of The Pimp
Ambassador Of Druchii.net and TBG
Purging the Damned
Help a samurai out
Nazeroth
Warrior

Post by Nazeroth »

Oh me god! great Story :D
:twisted: Poisonblade, father, Ancestor, Guide me! Shove me to the Slaugther! :twisted:
Lord happyslave
Malekith's Best Friend
Location: Supporting for Kim Clijsters, world's best tennisplayster

Post by Lord happyslave »

Very well, same comments as Imdat Tauble.
The large amount of rather complicated words (maily in the beginning) makes it for a non-English person (like me) a little bit difficult to read, but never made it to screw the story ;)
Salvation will arrive

on the second of februari

The release of Halo 2
Nullus
Slave on the Altar

Post by Nullus »

Good story. I liked how you portayed the assassin's thinking. It seemed a lot like what a trained killer would think. Hope to see more soon enough (especially if this is only what you whip out).
Admit nothing. Deny everything. Make counter accustaions.

My mind is like a banana tree filled with monkies clattering for attention.
Mr shadow
Warrior

Post by Mr shadow »

Absolutely great story!! I especially liked the part where the archers try to ambush the assassin, it must truly be hard to out-smart such a master of disquise and trickery...Lovely, simply lovely :D :D :D
Break the Bones and the Body will Heal
Break the Spirit and the Body will Die
Sulafein
Warrior

Post by Sulafein »

To be completely honest it was kinda good, but small flaws made it imperfect, twas many things but mostly to break the simple GW Druchii fluff and perhaps for example about the poisons, to have made up a new poison and maybe explained it's more nasty effects (alá Drow, which are really really nasty). And making the Assasin feel more wicked to the readers and perhaps allowing him more silence which brings out a more cold feel about a person.
But to say it short...
¤ Try to bring out a more evil and cold-hearted feel for the Assasin.
¤ Try not to bring in some short and none needed things (like the things about how he stole the clothes from a watchelf only to confront another watchelf for but a moment before killing him).
¤ Perhaps put in some more (and) cooler info details.

Otherwise kinda good, 3 out of 5 stars one might say ;O
(Succes comes from failiure ;) )
Jal'Koreth ultrin!
Nightblade
Warrior

Post by Nightblade »

Hm.. so there is some kind of a competition going on around here? For good writers and novellists?
If so, I might even apply a tale or two - Kalar has seen quite a bit during his travels, and I would be glad to share these dark pearls of malice with you.

A good story there, Rage-boy. Although I must agree a bit with Sulafein and Imdat Tauble. For whipping those ideas in shape in two hours, it's very good. Reminds me of..

*saunders off, talking incoherrently about his bravades*
MOD EDIT: removed large image

Kalar Nightblade
Guardian and Retainer of House Nightblade
"My foes die. Accept or perish."
Seth
Beastmaster
Location: In happyland ! dancing, singing and dallying with all my cute bunny-friends !

Post by Seth »

well I really like it :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: good work, keep it going ;)
The darkness you see in those around you may not really be in them, but the shadow self within that you are projecting
Ranieth
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Ranieth »

I really like it!! Nice story!! I wanna see more.. *runs off searching after more of your stories* :mrgreen:
Ranieth
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Ranieth »

I really like it!! Nice story!! I wanna see more.. *runs off searching after more of your stories* :mrgreen:
Aachil lathanast
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by Aachil lathanast »

Amazing story considering that you have written it in an hour or so. Assasins seem to be very popular among storywriters. I liked the part when an assasin stops to put a rune of Khaine on his victims foreheads - now that is a man who loves his work. Have you written any other stories? Looking forward to continuation of this story.
Weak perish so that the strong can live. It is the law of nature. It is the law of the Druchii.
Phantom rider
Trainee Warrior

Post by Phantom rider »

Great story :mrgreen:
Kael
Slave on the Altar

Post by Kael »

That was an excelent story. I am new and am starting to see the kind of quality that only a druchii can produce.
I am the Harvester of Sorrow! May my hate fill you with power!
Githan
Black Guard
Location: Hanging around in Hag Graneth searging for my lost mount

Post by Githan »

That was funny :!:
You should write more of these :mrgreen:
Yeureal
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Yeureal »

great story!!!!!!!!!! you should consider writting more of these. :mrgreen:
We the Druchii do not hide in the shadows, though they serve us well.