D.R.A.I.C.H. 7th - Table of Contents (Druchii's Art of War)

Where the great threads of Druchii.net are kept

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Dyvim tvar
Lord of the Dragon Caves
Lord of the Dragon Caves

Post by Dyvim tvar »

Calisson wrote:For the rest of the D.R.A.I.C.H. ToC, there is a need for an overhaul.
Too many links to threads with too little a value.

Agreed. It's hard to find the good stuff sometimes. And definitely TMR does a good job keeping his subsection clean.

On another point, I have a document I've been working on off-line that is an article regarding deployment phase tactics. The intent is to be something detailed along the lines of my two articles on the magic phase. I happened to notice that there doesn't rely seem to be a place in the D.R.A.I.C.H. for it -- although I'm sure you'll find one.
Truly These are the End Times ...
Geoguswrek
Highborn

Post by Geoguswrek »

How about in playing the game? it seems like the right place to put it.
Dyvim tvar
Lord of the Dragon Caves
Lord of the Dragon Caves

Post by Dyvim tvar »

Perhaps -- that section is a bit dead at the moment.
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

In the chapter Playing the game indeed.

There is a subsection dedicated for the deployment (strangely indeed, I put it close to the end of the chapter), and no article nor even too many post have been written yet.

I'm sure you can replace the whole sub-section with a single of your high quality articles. Hopefully, you will include something about the choice & setting of terrain (for those who play according to the BRB rules), the choice of Lores and the choice of starting or not.

Setting up the game
Selecting and setting the best terrain for your troops
** ................................... D.R.A.I.C.H. Making the most of Terrain with your Druchii
Selecting Lore
* Deployment.................... Filling the table: gaining some experiences
** ................................... Fielding 2 Reapers.
........................................ When to write down where the assassin is?
Who starts?
** First move.................... Sticky of the Month December- Army List Tactial Analysis
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
Dyvim tvar
Lord of the Dragon Caves
Lord of the Dragon Caves

Post by Dyvim tvar »

Interestingly enough, terrain choice is something I have little experience with. In my gaming club, the standard way we do things is to have a third person set up the terrain, and both players have to live with it. I'll stick with the actual deployment part and to start and see where it goes from there.
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

May monthly review.

It's time for the monthly report!

The tactics momentum of April stalled a little bit.
However, the excellent Tactics question of the week #... is now to its 8th edition and seems to keep running steadily.
Another interesting initiative is Intersite Battle, to be followed.

I hope that DA will not drop his promising Druchii for beginners - scratch

As DT asked (previous post), I made a thread about terrain placement.
D.R.A.I.C.H. Deploying the terrain by the rules.
and the complementary thread Make your own terrain for free (w/ images).
Funny though, it met with a wish I received in a PM:
phierlihy wrote:If there were topics such as "suggested terrain placement", "when sacrificing a unit is worth it", and other odd-ball things in there, I would be more interested. Perhaps one day?

No other change since last month.
I'm still considering to retire from the D.R.A.I.C.H. some day.
So much to be done before... You reader can help me:
@ every D.netter,
if ever you go through a D.R.A.I.C.H. hyperlink and find the thread useless (possibly because it has been superseded by a most recent one), please let me know.
Deleting old hyperlinks will only make the D.R.A.I.C.H. lighter, for the benefit of everyone.
It will facilitate the task of the next editor of the D.R.A.I.C.H. when I will pass it over to an eventual relief.
I have no time to go myself through every single D.R.A.I.C.H. hyperlink, but with your help, we can make together the D.R.A.I.C.H a better tool for everyone.

Still popular whatever its defaults, coming to 14650 views, a boosted 1150 more viewers this month compared to the usual 900.

Thank you for reading.

Calisson.
Still a corsair at 996 posts.
When I reach 1075, it will be my 1000th as a corsair
:D
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

June monthly review.

Already?

well, this month has been quite calm.

Tactics are at their best with both the 9th tactics question of the week, and the outstanding Intersite Battle.

DA is busy settling in 'The Eye of the Storm'. Hopefully he will soon come back to the previous activity in D.net which we are missing at the moment.

I cleaned up a little bit the D.R.A.I.C.H. this month:
- the beginner's section is now found in two D.R.A.I.C.H. topics, hyperlinked in the D.R.A.I.C.H.'s first post only. The previous hyperlinks are found in one of these two posts.
- Same for the Corsairs army lists, which are now found in the "Brotherhood" thread, hyperlinked in the "Army List" post.

The same work needs to be done for most other sub-parts of the D.R.A.I.C.H. I'm very busy professionally, so I can't do it by myself.
I asked Scyloc some help for that. He has a very small post figure, but seems adequately enthusiastic!
Dear reader, don't hesitate to PM me if you think you can spare some time to help the D.R.A.I.C.H. to improve, as I mentioned in the previous monthly reviews.

No other change, except that the total viewcount climbs now to 15725, another good month with 1100 views. Possibly the D.R.A.I.C.H. allows newcomers to find useful information without creating new threads, so as a result, D.net is less active than it has been in previous months.

Thank you for reading.

Calisson.
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

July monthly review.

One year!
Posted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 3:54 pm Post subject: D.R.A.I.C.H. - Table of Contents (Druchii's Art of War)

One year ago, a new army book was released for us to explore, triggering a lot of enthusiasm for sharing experience. A plan was set, authors were identified.

One year after, you can see the result, and it is quite different from what was considered.

The plan that was set did not develop as expected (not a surprise: see Note 1 in second post). However, thread after thread, pretty much all topics were covered, in a somehow lesser elaborate way, with the many hyperlinks collected in the detailed Table of Contents. It's not as convenient and well written as hoped for, but at least something is available on all topics.

Many doubted and warned that the task was too huge and relied naively on dubbious goodwill. Indeed, many a promise was not fulfilled. However, even if the D.R.A.I.C.H. did not achive all that was hoped, at least it did incite several authors to write good articles which probably would not have been written if not for the D.R.A.I.C.H..
These articles are not "living" as I wished, i.e. they are not maintained, with the single exception of tmr updating his D.R.A.I.C.H. - Complementary material on a regular basis, and of course, with the Table of Contents itself, which has become progressively much more than the mere backbone of the D.R.A.I.C.H., thanks to a total of... 1150 edits.

The quality of the result is not as good as readers wish. Too many threads with too little interesting content. It requries time to review them all, select the most interesting ideas and arrange them in a clearly written thread.
I told those who criticize that it's up to them to devote some of their time to improve the D.R.A.I.C.H., as a result I've received less criticism but still little help! :?

Experience shows that initial ambitions often do not result in finished work. It must not prevent us to have ambitions and to start working, and some result is actually achieved.

Present situation.
For stat lovers, there are 16710 views as I write.
Reading back the stats of views, the trend is to have 1100 more views per month, rather constant since January, slightly down from 1300 per month last year.

The D.R.A.I.C.H. has now achieved its goal to help all of us to get a quicker grasp to our new army book. Seasoned gamers have now experienced the various aspects of the new army book, and have tried their ideas. No more theoryhammering is needed for them. The D.R.A.I.C.H. is of little help anymore to them.
New gamers keep coming to Dark Elves. I believe that they are now the ones who find in the D.R.A.I.C.H. the most useful information.

The future of the D.R.A.I.C.H.
As I said in February, I will devote less time to the D.R.A.I.C.H. now that it has matured. Little more threads need to be added (although it still happens).

There is a greater requirement to reduce the D.R.A.I.C.H. than to increase it.
One possibility is to take one topic after another one, create a new thread with the summary of all linked threads on that topic, and receive comments.

For example, from the character section, there could be summaries about:
- Khainites characters
- Weapons for non-Khainite warrior characters
- Mounts for warriors characters
- Sorceresses' equipments (a lot has been said by Dyvim Tvar in his threads about magic).
- A discussion about the special characters
Five threads are easier to swallow than one larger.

Another example is the anti-strategy. Each of the opposite race deserves a single thread, with a summary of all the good ideas scattered in several threads.

I'd like one of the D.R.A.I.C.H. readers to do that. If nobody does, I may do it myself, as I did in June for the beginners's section, but if I'm alone it will take a lot of time and I'd rather receive some help and let others be praised for their work.

No more monthly review.
As long as the project does not evolve much anymore, there is no reason to review a plan of action and milestones.
..__
.(°°).Now I'm going in summer leave, with my favourite pet Squiddy.
./()\

Thank you for reading.
Thank you for all who participated, especially warm for those who finished what they endeavoured.

Calisson.

=====================================================
EDIT 24th July 09. Action taken following "The future of the D.R.A.I.C.H." paragraph.
Help me to improve the D.R.A.I.C.H.
EDIT 19 Feb 10. Previous thread split, with the call for help with the antitactica to be found there:
If you play another army, could you tell how to beat it?

EDIT 18th August 09. Action taken to simplify the presentation of the D.R.A.I.C.H..
No more % showing the progress of D.R.A.I.C.H. sub-chapters, as they are not progressing anymore.
Instead, I included the hyperlinks in the relevant part of the ToC.
Last edited by Calisson on Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Re: A

Post by Calisson »

A new service provided by the D.R.A.I.C.H.! :idea:
The D.R.A.I.C.H. Best Of:
Here are the well written, long and comprehensive articles about tactics.
It is posted on top of page 2 of the present thread, in order to allow a direct access from the forum with a single click (I just recycled a former post).

The benefits for gathering these threads inside a dedicated forum are multiple:

- for the readerwho wants to read again the best articles, instead of going across the whole ToC, there is an option to find directly the selection of the elaborate articles only. :)

- a new druchii.netter could directly read, one after one, all the elaborate tactical threads. :o

- the authors' names are shown. It should be rewarding to see your name among the most reknown. Nearly as good as to be stickied! :oops:

- therefore, the would-be authors have a stronger incentive to become part of this elite, and there are handily available models to follow. :P
Come and join us! :D
It requires some dedicated work but it's fun and not that hard - and it improves the author's proficiency much more than the reader's.

Support your favourite authors!
If you spot a candidate thread to be included in the "Best of", please let me know, either by PM, a reply here below, or a comment in the thread itself.

EDIT
Success: :D
Sticky: D.R.A.I.C.H. - Table of Contents (Druchii's Art of War): Views 25000
The time now is Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:33 pm
Thanks for your ongoing support!

Last statistics: 29679 views on June 21st, 2010, when this 7th edition D.R.A.I.C.H. is replaced by a new one, tailored for the 8th edition of WarHammer:D.R.A.I.C.H. 8thEd (Druchii Art of War)

May this D.R.A.I.C.H. rest in peace with a sense of well done duty! 8)