Druchii Net Campaign : Q&A

Old campaign - Where the Druchii Net Online Campaign was discussed

Moderators: Underway, Jeffleong13, The Dread Knights

Langmann
Malekith's Tastetester & Physician

Druchii Net Campaign : Q&A

Post by Langmann »

Starting Date To be announced. Sometime after the SoC.

Requirements:

An email account and email client software that can handle email on your computer, for example Outlook Express or Eudora (both free). These are required to prevent cheating.

How to Set Up Email Software and as and example a Yahoo.com account:

If you have an ISP (internet service provider), the guys that are giving you the internet right now, you should have an email account with them. If you don't already have an account (one that uses an email client program on your computer) you can set one up with a few simple steps by getting a yahoo.com account. Trust me this isn't very hard to set up. You will need to know this information, if it is not set up already, if you want to use your own ISP email account: Incoming Mail POP3 server, Outgoing Mail SMTP server, Account name/login name, Email address, and your password. You can get this from your ISP.

1. Obtain Outlook Express from Microsoft (or comparable program like Eudora) by downloading Internet Explorer (it comes with IE).
2. Make a Yahoo.com email account by going to www.yahoo.com Go into your Yahoo account where you check your email and click on Mail Options, click on POP Access and Forwarding, click on Web and Pop Access, Click on Submit. Now write down what you see because you will need it.
3. In Outlook Express go to File, select Identities, Add a New Identity. Make a new identity for yourself, if you don't already have one.
4. In Outlook Express go to Tools, select Accounts, select Add, select Mail
5. Enter your name, enter your email address that you got from yahoo.com.
6 Select "My incoming email server is" a POP3 server.
7. In the incoming server type : pop.mail.yahoo.ca This is an example, yours might differ! You get this by following instruction 2.
8. In the Outgoing mail (SMTP) server type : smtp.mail.yahoo.ca This is an example, yours might differ! You get this by following instruction 2. Note: Some ISP (internet service providers, the guys that supply your internet) do not allow you to use external SMTP servers, but would rather you use theirs. You can tell because the email client won't send messages from your account but will receive them. Contact your ISP and ask for your SMTP server address and put that in the Outgoing mail box instead. Since most ISP give you an email address, you really don't need a yahoo.com one. In fact this is part of the security that prevents cheaters in this campaign.
9. In the Account name : your email name (without the @yahoo.com)
10. In the Password : your password. Click the box to remember it.
11. Hit Finish.
12. Make sure when you are entering a battlereport that you have Outlook Express as your default Mail Client software and that you have Switched Identities to yourself if you are using a common computer.

How to Play:

Where do I fight? - on the main map each of the Battlesites is indicated by a status bar and icon demonstrating a contested area. Click on a site you are interested in and read about each of the races that may be involved in that area, and any particular scenarios or rules that may be involved. Then find a friend and play your game!

Entering a Battlereport - Click on the Battlesite where you fought your battle. Fully fill out the battlereport form and then press the button to submit it. Your email client software will ask you whether you want to send this, click OK and your email client software should start sending it. In your client software have the setting that keeps a copy of your sent messages in a folder and you can check your Battelreport has been sent as your client software will make a copy of the report.

Does Each Player Need to Enter a Report? - YES. For full points both the winner and the loser have to each enter a Battlereport with the other player's email filled in correctly. Otherwise you will not log a full points battle and only score minor points.

Can I play on multiple sides? - Are you Druchii? If you are then you are a murderous backstabbing bastard. Go ahead.

How many Battlereports can I enter a day? - As many as you played. People who enter 3+ a day will obviously be looked at with suspicion.

Cheating - No cheating. That means making a bunch of false accounts and entering false Battlereports. Occasionally one of our statisticians will send your email address an email asking for your home phone number, or a reply just to see if that account is really active. And he/she might call you once, to see if you exist. Don't be a loser and don't cheat.

What is the scale of this, is it epic or what? - Apart from one or two of the Battlesites, the campaign is not even close to as 'epic' in scale as the SoC. In other words in the Big Red Warhammer Fantasy Book, it says that each model can represent a scale of 10 or 50 individuals. In this campaign, each of those models generally represents 1 individual. This is because many of the Dark Elves haven't dared to fight on either side, or haven't chosen sides yet, in certain battles. You cannot expect a Dark Elf to chose the losing side now can you? So when you play a 2000 points battle, in the grand scale of things to an outside observer, it would look a lot like a skirmish.

Are other races involved? - Yes. They will each have an interesting part to play in the campaign.

What about Arnhelm? - You cannot expect the High Elves to remain in their dirty holes during all this can you?

Go ahead and ask more questions.
While running a million dollar company, singing at weddings, and his frequent jetting to Spain Elton Jon style, Dark Alliance found the time to stand on the doorstep of Games Workshop like Moses and the Pharoah and calmly state, "Let my people go."
/\\//\
Hunter Of The Night

Post by /\\//\ »

It might be a problem for those of us who don't have Dark Elf opponent's nearby. What I could do in this situation is allow one of my opponents to use my Dark Elf or COS army but then they would not want to register an email account here for that matter and would never check it if they did.

Also I understand you want to prevent cheating as much as possible, however I doubt people will be too keen to give out their phone numbers to complete strangers on the internet. Neither will the people who have to phone a load of overseas numbers and build up a huge phone bill.
Langmann

Post by Langmann »

/\\// wrote:It might be a problem for those of us who don't have Dark Elf opponent's nearby. What I could do in this situation is allow one of my opponents to use my Dark Elf or COS army but then they would not want to register an email account here for that matter and would never check it if they did.

You can easily lend out half your army to play games, also there will be skirmish scenarios. What you can also do is play against other races. For example, Chaos is allied with Slaanesh in the north...

When it comes to email, they don't register an email account here, that's the thing, they are using their own current email account to email their battlereport form to our email database. Its all done automatically and requires no making of any new accounts here or anywhere, that makes it very easy they don't have to be a member of druchii.net. How else should/can we do it? By regular snail mail? ;)

Also I understand you want to prevent cheating as much as possible, however I doubt people will be too keen to give out their phone numbers to complete strangers on the internet. Neither will the people who have to phone a load of overseas numbers and build up a huge phone bill.

Its one of the options. We're not asking for your phone number up front, or any other personal information. However if a person's battlereports start becoming suspicious, we're going to block them. Its up to them to prove to us that they are real. How they want to do it is up to them. No cheating.
While running a million dollar company, singing at weddings, and his frequent jetting to Spain Elton Jon style, Dark Alliance found the time to stand on the doorstep of Games Workshop like Moses and the Pharoah and calmly state, "Let my people go."
/\\//\
Hunter Of The Night

Post by /\\//\ »

That's ok then. Sorry I misread and thought they had to register an account here. How will the campaign mechanincs work? Will there be scenarios, a ToK special list? Also What will the battlesites be? Areas of open contryside in Naggaroth? cities themsleves or just areas of cities? It sounds very interesting and I would dearly love there to be skirmishes and urban warfare (almost like Fantasy Cityfight).
Langmann

Post by Langmann »

/\\// wrote:That's ok then. Sorry I misread and thought they had to register an account here. How will the campaign mechanincs work?

The Campaign Managers, Underway and Jeff Leong will be using human logic to interpret the battlereport statistics. We're programming the battlereport forms to allow for as much leeway as logically allowed in a certain area (for example obviously you cannot fight dwarves in the Northern Wastes, but you could as the CoP, fight Chaos, even though you're supposed to be allies because you're tired of that human scum in the cult!) You see the members can make the campaign turn in a way no-one expected by weight of numbers.

Will there be scenarios,

Yes.

a ToK special list?

Yes.

Also What will the battlesites be? Areas of open contryside in Naggaroth? cities themsleves or just areas of cities?

Both. To be exactly announced.

It sounds very interesting and I would dearly love there to be skirmishes and urban warfare (almost like Fantasy Cityfight).

Yes there will be skimishes and urban warfare. The Cult of Pleasure and The Khainites will truly experience the Night of Sharp Knives. ;)
Mojo-jojo
Warrior

Post by Mojo-jojo »

i say if you don't have a DE opp. near you just say the army your playing against is a merc. army for the other side plain easy and simple.
Alcathalon
Trainee Warrior

Post by Alcathalon »

Great, I'm going to make some terrain and scenery. I can't wait!!!
Alcathalon is back from treasure-hunt in Lustria
Z'gahn
The Touch of Death

Post by Z'gahn »

Interesting...
So this'll be an Online campaign like the SoC but only in naggorond? And will it be a civil war between the ToK and the CoP?
Awesome
Maldor
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Maldor »

Can you please elaborate on what sides the different non-DE armies will be taking?
Lock up your children, shut all windows tight.
The Witch Elves are hunting for victims tonight.
When old hags do knock at your door, you must hide,
Your death is the gift sought by Khaine's pretty brides.
Langmann

Post by Langmann »

Maldor wrote:Can you please elaborate on what sides the different non-DE armies will be taking?

I will be doing that in the next few days. ;)
Iron_panther
Black Guard

Post by Iron_panther »

I have a couple of questions, if you would like to take your time...

1. What about the ToK army? Will the community have a role in developing it (alright, the community have already developed a couple of ToK armies, but this one in particular...), or will it be designed by an iniative and announced before the campaign?

2. Will the slaanesh forces use the SoC variant list?

3. For how long will the campaign be running?

4.Who are currently working with the preparations?

5. Will the monthly be involved?

Well, that's all i can think of at the moment. It certainly seems promising this far, keep it up!:D
Why does it feel so good to be bad?
Langmann

Post by Langmann »

Iron_Panther wrote:I have a couple of questions, if you would like to take your time...

1. What about the ToK army? Will the community have a role in developing it (alright, the community have already developed a couple of ToK armies, but this one in particular...), or will it be designed by an iniative and announced before the campaign?

2. Will the slaanesh forces use the SoC variant list?

3. For how long will the campaign be running?

4.Who are currently working with the preparations?

5. Will the monthly be involved?

Well, that's all i can think of at the moment. It certainly seems promising this far, keep it up!:D

1. A ToK for the Campaign exists. It was designed by some members of the Convent of 7 Initiative. I am sorry but time constrictions would not allow me to do what I normally like to do. Make it public.

2. Yes. The Slaanesh list is legal. We have no choice but to accept it.

3. It will run as long as it takes to finally stick a knife into the leaders of everyone who makes you angry. Ok. That may take a while. Probably 3-4 months. Maybe longer. The reason is our campaign will be slower than GW's because we are going to take more time to consider logical outcomes from how the users submit battlereports. And who they fight.

4. The people running it are Jeff Leong (jeffleong13) you might know him from White Dwarf. Underway the runner of the SoC here. MDK that awesome graphics designer. Me the sucker. The Convent of 7 and Cult of Pleasure intiatives.

5. Hopefully the monthly will get involved. Its up to them really.
Nagathi
The Exiled One

Post by Nagathi »

langmann wrote:
a ToK special list?
Yes.

No. Unless you create your own and get your opponent to approve it.

- Nag
Rasputinii
M-A-D

Post by Rasputinii »

How long has this been going on. From the way the thread is posted it sounds like its something wqe are all meant to have heard tonnes about. Yet I am only just beginning to work out what the hell is going on.

So D.net is going to run a campaign. A civil war thing. Right, ok. Well my most important question is:

Does GW know about this? I mean will they actually alter fluff and stuff because of it? If no then its not really worth our time to find another Druchii player (I don't know any one who plays Dark Elves). If yes then what sot of changes could we see.

I would really apprecite it if some one actually explained what the heck this thing is as I have not heard anything about this "campaign" before and this thread makes it seem like common knowledge which I belive it is not.
Pleased to be back
Nagathi
The Exiled One

Post by Nagathi »

Ras, you do not need to fight another Druchi player. The other races will be fighting for different sides. The lizzies will probably fight against the Cult (and thus help the khainists), Chaos will stand united with the cult etc.

AFAIK, GW knows about this and with the contacs some of the guys around here have, we can probably see some fluff alterations in the future, who knows? This campaign is mostly to find out how openly the cultists can worship. Will the cult remain a hidden and opressed cult, or will they make a stance and fight the opressors for a free religious sect?

- Nag
Rasputinii
M-A-D

Post by Rasputinii »

I see, most interesting. Most interesting. If the map is good enough you can count me in :D. Of course I will be fighting to mainting the status quoe. The people of Naggeroth are not ready for change yet :D
Pleased to be back
Alcathalon
Trainee Warrior

Post by Alcathalon »

I see, most interesting. Most interesting. If the map is good enough you can count me in . Of course I will be fighting to mainting the status quoe. The people of Naggeroth are not ready for change yet

Through inside info I can tell you it will look great. But why are the Druchii not in for a revolution on the spiritual level. I say come out all you Pleasure loving Druchii so we can have some fun with our slaves! :twisted:
Rasputinii
M-A-D

Post by Rasputinii »

Through inside info I can tell you it will look great.

Will it have animation. I do love animation ;)
Pleased to be back
Nagathi
The Exiled One

Post by Nagathi »

The map is done by MDK... no further details should be relesed yet :)

- Nag
Alcathalon
Trainee Warrior

Post by Alcathalon »

Will it have animation. I do love animation

I'm not that well informed wait a bit and find out :lol:
Thebeastman
Shade

Post by Thebeastman »

Count me in. I have an hotmail email address could i use that?
The Beast man
Nagathi
The Exiled One

Post by Nagathi »

TheBeastman: The mail thingy should work for everyone who have the standard settings for POP3 mails. I.e. whenever you click a mailto link a new window should be loaded where you log in to your hotmail account and then the mail is sent.

- Nag
Last edited by Nagathi on Mon Jul 26, 2004 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thebeastman
Shade

Post by Thebeastman »

Thats cool then, Cheers Nagathi. You can definetly count me in
The Beast man
Rasputinii
M-A-D

Post by Rasputinii »

I think certian members should take on fluff based roles. For exmple DP could lead the Slaanesh forces and I could take charge of the black guard in a desperate atempt to keep order. Then these people could write like story based report style things about whats happening. This would add a little more depth to it. Then perhaps these people could appoint deputies and so on. Otherwise itwill have the same impersonalness to it that SOC does. We should have leaders and intrigue.
Pleased to be back
Jeffleong13
Warmaster of Slaanesh

Post by Jeffleong13 »

Feel free to make all the factions that you wish ... any factions that end up having a substantial impact on the campaign will be included in the fluff ...

J