Fluff Out and Gav T speaks on the campaign

Old campaign - Where the Druchii Net Online Campaign was discussed

Moderators: Underway, Jeffleong13, The Dread Knights

Langmann
Malekith's Tastetester & Physician

Fluff Out and Gav T speaks on the campaign

Post by Langmann »

The campaign is drawing to a close! A final confrontation now exists taking place in Ghrond between the Cult of Pleasure and the Temple of Khaine. Also the fate of the 6th Gate of Arnhelm remains to be decided against the dirty High Elves.

Get in the game www.campaign.druchii.net

Some fluff from Jeff Leong:
As the setbacks continue to mount for the Cult, it appears certain that the final curtain will soon drop on the war of Flesh & Blood. Everything still points to Ghrond as the final battle, and all forces are converging on the city to make it so.

The Cult has fought the Temple to a standstill in Ghrond, and both factions are still intent on controlling the city. Lonicera still guides the Cult forces, but their faith in her ability to bring the victory she promises has been severely shaken by recent events. Khael Vraneth has been joined by Tiamehk, Hellebron’s chief lieutenant, as the final battles draw nigh. Both sides are but awaiting the proper moment to strike a decisive blow at their enemies.

The army of Clar Karond arrived at the Spire of Malice to find the forces of Lord Kuulgyre firmly entrenched in the former Druchii stronghold. The Druchii general, Lord Tiyal Deathblade, ordered an immediate attack to flush the foul chaos taint from the land of Naggaroth. Although he commanded a potent force, the Chaos Lord could not withstand the overwhelming might of the Druchii army. As his daemonic allies were engaged and his human slaves began their charge, Lord Kuulgyre gathered his most trusted warriors in a desperate attack. Using his human slaves as a living shield, the Chaos Lord charged into the heart of the Druchii army. Just as he came in sight of Lord Deathblade, Kuulgyre issued a resounding challenge to the Druchii general.

Ever confident in his martial prowess, Lord Deathblade immediately accepted the challenge of the vile follower of Slaanesh. Calling a temporary halt to the battle, the two mighty heroes squared off in an epic struggle.

As the last rays of the sun disappeared from the sky, Deathblade and Kuulgyre stepped into the circle of challenge. The fighters seemed to melt into one another as their fluid motions combined into an intricate dance of death. Both generals were inhumanly fast, but eventually the skill of the Druchii Lord told out. At just the right moment, Lord Deathblade struck, cleanly severing the Chaos Lord’s weapon hand. The crowd hushed as the Druchii stood over his fallen foe, ready to deliver the death blow, but it was not to be. As everyone watched, the Chaos Lord simply disappeared, just as the killing blow fell.

The spectators were even more surprised to see Lord Kuulgyre reappear behind the Druchii Lord, new skin knitting where his severed hand had been. The Chaos Lord uttered words of power, freezing Lord Deathblade as he turned to attack.

“Well fought” said the Slaaneshi Champion. “It has been many centuries since I have felt the pain of such battle. I applaud your attempt, but now is not the time of my death … and yours is not the hand that will cause it.”

“I will be the cause of your death and that of all your kind, scum!” snarled the Druchii.

“If it pleases you to believe it, by all means do so” scoffed the Chaos Lord. “You are a worthy warrior, and one day you may see the true glory of battle in the name of a true god. I will return for you later, but my master calls me now … so I go.”

Lord Kuulgyre’s eyes seemed to sparkle as he smiled at the helpless Druchii before him.

“Farewell, Druchii.”

Lord Deathblade regained control of his body as the Slaaneshi Warlord disappeared. He immediately ordered his forces to capture the remnants of the Chaos host, but his true prizes eluded him. Although hundreds of human slaves were captured, Kuulgyre’s true force had escaped with him down whatever treacherous pathways his god had called him.

Lord Deathblade had won the day, and the Watchtowers were once again free of the taint of chaos. It was a somewhat empty victory, however, as his true prey had eluded him. Someday, he would find this vile chaos scum, and then there would be a true reckoning.

NOTE: The Watchtowers have been reclaimed by the Druchii army of Clar Karond, and the chaos forces have retreated from the Chaos Marshalling Areas. Both battle sites are now closed.

The attempted slave revolt in Karond Kar has jarred the city back to its senses. Pushed by an unseen force, the leaders of the city have united and finally decided to stop the struggle between the Cult and the Temple. Still reeling from the recent loss of Lady T’Orath, the Cult forces are ill-equipped to challenge the combined might of the city.

NOTE: The Karond Kar battle site is closed.

The deception of Prince Regulus, Annointed of Slaanesh, seems to have sealed the fate of the 6th Gate of Arnhelm. With solid evidence proving that the Asur conducted the raid that set the forces of the Cult and Temple at each others’ throat has provided General Kala the lever necessary to bring the forces of the Druchii back together for a final push at the hated Asur. Initial resistance to the reuniting of the forces faded as the most vocal opponents to General Kala’s plans began to disappear.

With this newly combined force at her command, General Kala has begun to smash the Asur defences around the 6th Gate construction site. Already, the Asur defenders are retreating as the combined might of the Druchii force them back. Without some miracle, it is only a matter of time before the 6th Gate construction site will fall.

NOTE: The Druchii forces at the 6th Gate of Arnhelm have reunited. Battles will only be entered as either Dark Elf or High Elf.

The Dwarfs continue preparations to leave the Underway, fighting a determined rearguard action against the advancing Druchii forces. There is little chance of regaining their lost foothold, as the Druchii Admiralty continues to pour forces into the fight.

NOTE: The Druchii forces have cleared the Underway. This battle site is closed.

Though the Cult forces in the South were once an army of conquest, they are now nothing more than an uncoordinated mass of scattered bands. The leadership of the Cult waited too long to come to their aid, and the devout forces of the Temple under Lady Vraneth have scattered their armies beyond repair. Although the loss of warriors and materiel is a sore blow to the Cult, even more significant is the loss of face suffered as a result of such an ignominious defeat. The Druchii people do not tolerate weakness, and the soft underbelly of the Cult has begun to open for all to see.

NOTE: The Cult Armies have been scattered and the Southern Reaches Battle Site is Closed.

As King Malekith continues to press his campaign in Ulthuan, Morathi and Hellebron await in his palace. Brought by his summons, each must bide their time until the lord of all Druchii deigns fit to tell them his purpose in bringing them together. As reports continue to flow in of setbacks for the Cult forces, Hellebron grows continually more haughty, and Morathi’s patience is wearing thin. After a full week of waiting, a messenger finally brings word.

The Druchii entered, in full ceremonial dress as a sub-captain of Malekith’s Black Guard. Coming to a halt in front of the luxurious couches holding Ladies Morathi and Hellebron, he addressed the two seething Druchii women.

“Lady Morathi and Lady Hellebron, you are summoned to appear at the City of Ghrond to account for your actions since the departure of Lord Malekith.”

Both Morathi and Hellebron began to rise, immediately incensed at the implications of the young Guard’s statements. Before either could object, he continued.

“Our Lord and King commands your presence on sundown, one week hence. You are now free to depart. My forces will accompany you on your journey.”

Without another word, he quickly turned and marched from the room.

With no choice but to obey their King, Morathi and Hellebron now begin the journey to Ghrond, accompanied by the Black Guard of Malekith. Each lady is wondering the purposes of their Lord’s demands and scheming to ensure that this is not the last such journey they make. The war of Flesh & Blood has come to a boiling point, and all will be decided quite soon.

Also Gav T speaks on the druchii net hosted campaign.

Hi there,

There's no plan for a Dark Elf list for Lustria, but on the whole the
emphasis has been away from variant lists and more about people using their
normal armies in the new environment. The book itself contains campaign
material for Lustria, and we've used this in the book and in WD to show how
to fight different campaigns in the jungles. It would be a great idea if
Druchii.net wanted to set up a campaign using this system to refight the
Dark Elf invasion that led to the theft of the star stela of Quetli (or
whatever it was called).

My original intent for the cult schism was for Malekith to [EDITED TO KEEP CAMPAIGN RESULT SECRET]. I'm glad it was a success, I think it's
much better for dedicated sites to further the hobby in this way than for us
to try to do it all ourselves. Perhaps you could challenge and organise
something with Ulthuan or Bugman's Brewery? ;-)

GAV
While running a million dollar company, singing at weddings, and his frequent jetting to Spain Elton Jon style, Dark Alliance found the time to stand on the doorstep of Games Workshop like Moses and the Pharoah and calmly state, "Let my people go."
Lethalis
Loremaster

Post by Lethalis »

It seems the Cult is whithering away. I had expected no less from our faithful soldiers :D

I'd like to applaude everyone who has fought for Khaine, we did great! May your draichs and poisened weapons stay sharp at Ghrond!
Ragnarok
Malekith's Best Friend
Location: Reading ancient books to learn, so I can bring the Apocolypse sooner.

Post by Ragnarok »

Yeah respect voodoomaster and Lethalis for bringing us victory.
http://www.asur.org.uk/ulthuan/viewtopic.php?t=11002 Look at this and fight for Malekith.
Anaryin
Lord of the 7th Convent

Post by Anaryin »

:) Good. Langmann, as I said earlier, if you want scenarios to re-enact anything, just ask. We have plenty in stock.. and ideas to make new ones.
Langmann

Post by Langmann »

Anaryin wrote::) Good. Langmann, as I said earlier, if you want scenarios to re-enact anything, just ask. We have plenty in stock.. and ideas to make new ones.

You're welcome. Right now we're trying to close thing one with a decent grand royale.

All you Cultists: its not over yet! Not till the witch king says so anyhow...
While running a million dollar company, singing at weddings, and his frequent jetting to Spain Elton Jon style, Dark Alliance found the time to stand on the doorstep of Games Workshop like Moses and the Pharoah and calmly state, "Let my people go."
Voodoomaster
Lord General Of Khaine

Post by Voodoomaster »

right, well things have gone well, it seems now a massive rush to ghrond.

the campaign is far from over yet.

I have a request though, once the campaign is over can the two team forums be locked but un-hidden so that both sides can see what the other was up to during the war. but not just yet. :evil:

Also i think i wish to thank Langmann, Jeffleong and Nagathi and any others involved in the running of the campaign. you have all done a great job guys, well done.
*bows low*

Voodoomaster, Leader of Team Khaine
"For every victory there is a defeat, for every defeat there is a victory. My victory, my defeat are for all to see..."
Khael Vraneth, Lord-General of Khaine.
Langmann

Post by Langmann »

Voodoomaster wrote:I have a request though, once the campaign is over can the two team forums be locked but un-hidden so that both sides can see what the other was up to during the war. but not just yet. :evil:

Thanks for that! Having people appreciate the hard work makes it fun.

I will unlock the private forums as long as EVERYONE in those forums agrees to it. I do think it would be fun for both sides. You guys can poll your members.
Darkprincess
Chosen Babe of Slaanesh

Post by Darkprincess »

Lethalis wrote:It seems the Cult is whithering away. I had expected no less from our faithful soldiers :D

I'd like to applaude everyone who has fought for Khaine, we did great! May your draichs and poisened weapons stay sharp at Ghrond!

ROFL !

Ha ! The Cult will never fall ! As long as I live, the Cult of Pleasure shall rise to ever greater power.

And as for Ghrond.....

Well, perhaps I'll leave that to you to find out...

:twisted:

OOC:
@Langmann: I think it's a great idea to unlock the forums in the way that's been suggested. It will be very interesting to see how the Khainist have organised their strategies ;)
The Dark Princess
High Priestess of the Cult Of Pleasure

Give yourself over to absolute pleasure
Swim the warm waters of sins of the flesh
Erotic nighmares beyond any measure
And sensual daydreams to treasure forever
Lethalis
Loremaster

Post by Lethalis »

Ha ! The Cult will never fall ! As long as I live, the Cult of Pleasure shall rise to ever greater power.

Getting chased away is a weird way to rise to power, methinks...

And as for Ghrond.....

Well, perhaps I'll leave that to you to find out...

You mean the story where you see 'well we're retreating, but we did a good job, now they need to rebuild!'

Oh the horror of rebuilding...;)
Mornedhel
Cabal without a cause

Post by Mornedhel »

i agree with Lethalis. rebuilding is really bad. all those poor slaves who´ll die from the strain. i´m concerned now. :P
It´s nice to be important, but it´s more important to be nice.
Nekroskop
Highborn

Post by Nekroskop »

Maybe you shouldn't take the desecration of your Main Temple by the Forces of the Lord of Pleasure not so lightly. It will be many years before you can resanctify your altars to rid them of the influences of our daemons.

And lets see the result of the final battle before you see us as chased off - just remembers whose son is taking that decision :D
I waste him with my boltthrower!
Mornedhel
Cabal without a cause

Post by Mornedhel »

Khaine does not need altars. killing in his name is enough worship.
altars are nice, they´re ideally suited to sacrifice slaves, and the statue and temple and stuff create a nice atmosphere (especially for the bbboc aka witch elves who like to have it nice and snugly when taking their war drugs), but they are not neccessary to praise Khaine and satisfy his needs as a god.

also we´ve got an altar to Khaine in every city, perhaps even more than one per city, and there´s all the personal shrines in the familie´s homes and things like that.
Darkprincess
Chosen Babe of Slaanesh

Post by Darkprincess »

THe sacking of the Temple was not an act of mindless destruction, as of course you will rebuild. And yes, many slaves will die in the process. But this is not about simply destroying large parts of the city. This is about hitting hard at the very heart of Khaine-worship in Naggaroth.

As Nekroskop said, it will be a long and hard struggle to remove the traces of our presence in the city that you allowed us to capture and hold for a time.

It doesn't matter how you dress this up - the fact is that we owned Ghrond for a while, and have struck hard at the very core of your misguided religion.

Of course the Khainists have their own places of worship, and in the overall big picture, the loss of one temple is not greatly significant - but this is no ordinary shrine - you have lost the biggest and most sacred temple in Naggaroth.

This is the equivalent for you of what it would be like for the world's Catholics if the Vatican was to be burned down. Of course there are other churches, but that is THE church - the spiritual heartland and the controlling centre of the religion.

And so it is with the loss of Ghrond. Yes, of course you will rebuild, but we have done what none would have thought possible - we have hit at the very heart of your religion and scored a major propaganda victory in the fact that you allowed us to march into your most sacred city and take it with relative ease, and if that wasn't enough, you then allow us to hold it for many weeks.

And you consider us weak ?

OOC:
Lonicera promised her people a great victory at Ghrond, and she has delivered it. It was not the victory she had hoped for, but it was a victory nonetheless.
The Dark Princess

Voodoomaster
Lord General Of Khaine

Post by Voodoomaster »

lol DP, well yes you did take it and hold it for weeks, and you have my respect for that. *nods in respect*

Also your bit of fluff about the saking of the great temple has given me loads of ideas for my wardiary.

yes you are right, it will take us years to purge the trace of the cult from ghrond, but we will re-build. even if it takes us decades.

also i am glad you like my segustion about the unlocking of the forums, so that we can see how each other had been working. i am going to post a poll in the team khaine forum now.

Voodoomaster
"For every victory there is a defeat, for every defeat there is a victory. My victory, my defeat are for all to see..."
Khael Vraneth, Lord-General of Khaine.
Mornedhel
Cabal without a cause

Post by Mornedhel »

darkprincess wrote:THe sacking of the Temple was not an act of mindless destruction, as of course you will rebuild. And yes, many slaves will die in the process. But this is not about simply destroying large parts of the city. This is about hitting hard at the very heart of Khaine-worship in Naggaroth.

As Nekroskop said, it will be a long and hard struggle to remove the traces of our presence in the city that you allowed us to capture and hold for a time.

It doesn't matter how you dress this up - the fact is that we owned Ghrond for a while, and have struck hard at the very core of your misguided religion.

Of course the Khainists have their own places of worship, and in the overall big picture, the loss of one temple is not greatly significant - but this is no ordinary shrine - you have lost the biggest and most sacred temple in Naggaroth.

This is the equivalent for you of what it would be like for the world's Catholics if the Vatican was to be burned down. Of course there are other churches, but that is THE church - the spiritual heartland and the controlling centre of the religion.

And so it is with the loss of Ghrond. Yes, of course you will rebuild, but we have done what none would have thought possible - we have hit at the very heart of your religion and scored a major propaganda victory in the fact that you allowed us to march into your most sacred city and take it with relative ease, and if that wasn't enough, you then allow us to hold it for many weeks.

And you consider us weak ?

considering that at the beginning of the war, both faction´s goal was to attain the rank of ruling religion in all of naggaroth and it´s provinces, managing to desecrate one single temple, even 'The' temple, doesn´t sound very much like victory to me. indeed, it does sound weak.

all over naggaroth, the forces of the CoP were pushed back and utterly defeated. the few who managed to escape the carnage at the other battle sites came running to Ghrond to help Lonicera hold the city. and she didn´t even manage that, and in her anger, set the temple on fire. and now you say that was a great victory.

be honest with yourself. you lost. but i must admit, you´re a good politician, as claiming the outcome of this war as a victory for the cult of pleasure is comparable to gw´s statement that the release of ogre kingdoms did not delay the work on the WE book. only difference is maybe some people believed gw.

but now for something completely different:
have i said i really love the fluff all the people made up for this campaign? even though i wasn´t able to actively fight for khaine due to too much work, this campaign was inspiring!
also, it solved a problem gw´s fluff generally has: there is almost no way the players can influence it and it does not develop at all if the army book of the race in question is older than 2 years - and through this campaign, this eventually changed.
maybe this will even set a trend. i know from other gaming systems (for example battletech) how much fun it is to read about the wars being fought among the different factions, and how the power structure shifts this way and that way.
if gav meant what he said in that statement langmann quoted, this might to some degree happen to warhammer in the future: campaigns could be fought by players, the kingdoms and lands of the warhammer races could change, characters become famous and things like that - there would actually be action in a fantasy world that has up to know stayed the same for over ten years, with just some characters dying and new ones being made, but not much more exciting things happening. don´t mention SoC...

i know this might be very high hopes, and i don´t think warhammer fluff can or should become as flexible and unsteady as battletech fluff, but some more change here and there would really be fun.
and no, i´m not a follower of tzeentch.

but i must add a word of caution: i have been very deep into the battletech fluff, and i noticed that some people being equally devoted to that hobby actually got depressed when their factions lost big - and things like that happen all the time. therefore, DP, don´t worry, the CoP hasn´t been destroyed after all, and it´s always more satisfying to fight against the odds than to belong to a faction which is nigh invincible, as invincible people rarely make credible heroes ;)
Nekroskop
Highborn

Post by Nekroskop »

It's as always a question of appearances, and Lonicera did a great job as our rallying point.

We have to correct one thing here - we in the Cult never aimed to be the ruling religion, at least not during this campaign. We will be happy if we end up as recognized instead of constantly hunted down.

So there is still a chance for us to reach that goal, to have Malekith accept officially the worship of Slaanesh in our society, to grant us the right to build temples in the open instead of secret covens.

I have to admit that I hoped for more success, but at least we held our own for a while agaisnt overwhelming odds.

Lets see what comes out of the Finale.

Oh, and I love the propaganda raphics of Team Khaine, great work there!

But in the end, even if our faction is outlawed again, it has been a great time with really inspiring stories and interesting strategies popping up.

I hope we can follow Gavs advice and make the next War an interwebsite one :)
I waste him with my boltthrower!
Darkprincess
Chosen Babe of Slaanesh

Post by Darkprincess »

Mornedhel wrote:be honest with yourself. you lost. but i must admit, you´re a good politician, as claiming the outcome of this war as a victory for the cult of pleasure is comparable to gw´s statement that the release of ogre kingdoms did not delay the work on the WE book. only difference is maybe some people believed gw.

LOL - well I didn't believe them - but then I rarely do ;)

Seriously though I am not claiming to have won the war. But I do claim a great propaganda coup at Ghrond. Of course this is not the result that Lonicera wanted - She wanted to make Ghrond the new home of the CoP after driving the Khainist out. Its proximity to the watchtowers and the border with the Realm of Chaos would allow her to control the access to Slaaneshi powers and chaos in general if she wanted this.

But it became obvious that we were never going to hold Ghrond. Sad, but true. So we had to leave. To stay would have been suicide, and Slaanesh has too many other things in mind for Lonicera to allow her to throw her life away in a futile gesture of defiance in Ghrond. But such is the hatred between the CoP and ToK factions that she was never going to go quietly - the fact that the larger part of the city still stands (though much of it lies in ruins) means that you may consider yourself fortunate indeed. We have no desire to destroy Ghrond completely, for one day we will return. Maybe not today. Maybe not tomorrow, but one day we will return and make it our own :twisted:

Mornedhel wrote:but now for something completely different:
have i said i really love the fluff all the people made up for this campaign? even though i wasn´t able to actively fight for khaine due to too much work, this campaign was inspiring!
also, it solved a problem gw´s fluff generally has: there is almost no way the players can influence it and it does not develop at all if the army book of the race in question is older than 2 years - and through this campaign, this eventually changed.
maybe this will even set a trend. i know from other gaming systems (for example battletech) how much fun it is to read about the wars being fought among the different factions, and how the power structure shifts this way and that way.
if gav meant what he said in that statement langmann quoted, this might to some degree happen to warhammer in the future: campaigns could be fought by players, the kingdoms and lands of the warhammer races could change, characters become famous and things like that - there would actually be action in a fantasy world that has up to know stayed the same for over ten years, with just some characters dying and new ones being made, but not much more exciting things happening. don´t mention SoC...

i know this might be very high hopes, and i don´t think warhammer fluff can or should become as flexible and unsteady as battletech fluff, but some more change here and there would really be fun.
and no, i´m not a follower of tzeentch.

but i must add a word of caution: i have been very deep into the battletech fluff, and i noticed that some people being equally devoted to that hobby actually got depressed when their factions lost big - and things like that happen all the time. therefore, DP, don´t worry, the CoP hasn´t been destroyed after all, and it´s always more satisfying to fight against the odds than to belong to a faction which is nigh invincible, as invincible people rarely make credible heroes ;)

Wise words indeed, but I'm not worried - I was playing my own unofficial CoP army for well over a year before GW released theirs (which is very similar to mine in a lot of ways - I had Slaaneshi Witch Elves instead of Devoted, and no Anointed, but I did have stuff like daemonettes, Keeper of Secrets etc), so even if GW made the CoP list unofficial (very unlikely as it has been very popular among players), I would still play CoP ;)

The numbers were always going to be heavily stacked against us in this campaign - and rightly so, as the CoP is not as large a faction as the ToK even though it is actually growing at a faster rate. It would have been unfluffy for us to have the greater numbers. Both sides have done well and it's been a really great campaign. I too haven't been able to play as much as I would have liked due to a severe lack of suitable opponents, but not to worry. My playing skills are such that I can win better victories with fluff than with my army :)

I think that the way the warhammer community works together online gives us a very good opportunity to influence future fluff - or at least to provide GW with a few new ideas, but we must wait and see what happens...

I don't know exactly when this campaign is going to end, but it does feel as though its in its closing stages now, although anything could still happen - it's not over til the fat lady sings and I don't see too many fat ladies around here at the moment....
The Dark Princess

Danceman
The Devil in Pale Moonlight

Post by Danceman »

interesting... both sides already speak of victory.

it is a victory for Druchii nonetheless, the weak has been killed, the weak has been sent running.
they may come back yes... but no longer will there be a suprise attack, every druchii knows who is behind it now.

as for GW or fluff, it be interesting how they make out morathi now... it would be downright rediculous to take morathi in a ToK army now.

i havent been able to play at all though little does it matter since i´ve pledged my loyalties towards the undead lords.

so good fight, good campaign even for just an observer as myself(even though i did manage to write some fluff for it :) )

cheers everyone
"Dying is for fools." - Charlie Sheen
Arduhn
Executioner

Post by Arduhn »

Hey, now that the campaign is over (it is right?) can we see what Gav said?
Always forgive your enemies...nothing annoys them more.
Druchii5263
Warrior

Post by Druchii5263 »

It would be cool if we could challenge Asur.org in an interwebsite campaign. or we could challenge the new asrai.org [my bro is on the website]. or we could have like a 3-way interwebsite campaign withus and both Asur and Asrai.
:twisted: mwahahahaha
[evil laugh]
"Bow down to my inevitable wrath, slave...
...for I am Nadurias, Master Slaver of the coasts of the Old World"