New Section: Player Locator

Throw your ideas for Druchii.net around in here...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Shadowlord
Beastmaster

New Section: Player Locator

Post by Shadowlord »

I have found other sites on the net that have tryed this... but most are messy and hard to use.

It would be nice if a player could post "im looking for a mature group of players in the ****** area, I am ** and have been playing for ** years."
Dark Alliance
Morathi's Favoured
Morathi's Favoured

Post by Dark Alliance »

This has been discussed before and didn't get very far. druchii.net is a world wide community with some players living eons away from their nearest hobby shop or fellow gamer. I think the idea has some merit but not enough for a forum.

A sticky thread somewhere might work. It could also include details of all the known gaming clubs.
Shadowlord
Beastmaster

Post by Shadowlord »

Thats a good point...

Would it be possible to construct a page where a user can input their city and email address?... To create a list that can be viewed by all.
Kitrik
Fearless Leader of the "Cult of Kitrik"

Post by Kitrik »

Problem with that Shadowlord is that many people don't like revealing too much about there identity on a website that anyone can view.

What we have seen in the past is a start of a tournament or other event by a few members and then others flock to it if they are within a decent driving distance. One that comes to mind is the Sydney tournament that was started. Maybe try something like this...

Hope this helps...

Kitrik
Tacklbry
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Tacklbry »

Maybe a search function that can troll through the database of Druchii.net member profiles. Then you could contact prior to tournaments to see who else from your area may be there.
I like dwarfs, their skin makes fine boots. :twisted:
/\\//\
Hunter Of The Night

Post by /\\//\ »

GW used to have a similar thing but it was shut down because you don't know who you're giving your details to. Some kid on this site could discuss meeting up with someone from this site who "claims" they are a keen Warhammer player. However in reality they are a drug dealer/peadophile/mugger etc who could be taking advantage of this function.
Shadowlord
Beastmaster

Post by Shadowlord »

Yeah, darn perverts ruining it for the rest of us.

Actually since I posted this I have learned of a Rogue trader in my area... I'm not in the middle of nowhere, just thought everyone in my area was out of it.

Thanks for the replies.
Drakken
Manipulator of the Masses

Post by Drakken »

Perhaps not a player locator, but a Gaming club or League locator, and maybe through Tourney is there as well. I know White Dwarf used to have all the RTTs and what not in there, but has fallen off in that department. I've seen something similar to this on other forums, where you simple put up in a forum anyone can go look through Tourneys or major events, and anyone local can go attend. Its worked so far on a smaller scale, I just don't know how well it'd work on this large a scale.
We stand now on the precipice of something monumental and perhaps even capable of boggling the mind in its myriad potentials and possibilities. Try not to drool too much…
Dungeon_god
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Dungeon_god »

Having something that was a database (and since you already are running MYSQL anyways, right Kitrik? ;) ) that would be pretty cool.

But, then again, it just might be logistically out of line. Not totally sure what the situation is.
Well, time WOULD be nice...
And, Storm of Chaos is here. Are you ready?