Bring back the custom Avatars!!!!

Throw your ideas for Druchii.net around in here...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Vanderghast
The Dark Scribe
Location: Sitting before a pile of scrolls, books and countless unfinished tales and poems

Bring back the custom Avatars!!!!

Post by Vanderghast »

Hello.

My suggestion to make Druchii.net better is to re-enact the option for custom Avatars. They should be restricted to the same size and dimensions of the normal Avatars, so the actual loading times don't change.
But if everybody gains a custom Avatar it will make each member feel more unique in the druchii.net community. Custom ranks, signatures and fictional locations add to this, but a custom Avatar would be extremely nice to have.

Anyway, that is my suggestion for our lovely community.

Vanderghast.
And the Angels of Lucifer descended on the world
The dead rose from slumber
And Darkness was Lord
Lord Thalack
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Lord Thalack »

This will probably happen as soon as all problems with bandwith/hosting are solved (which should be soon IIRC). Same goes for the gallery etc.
Tayrod
Spawn of Slaanesh
Location: Over the hills and far away (ie: In Norway somewhere)

Post by Tayrod »

S'cuse my ignorance, but what is a ''custom avatar'' anyway? (I havent been around that long, and Im not a english native speaker)
And the kneecaps connected to the ... *&¤%#% ... oh darn
Ka'tala
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Ka'tala »

@Tayrod, I assume you know what "Avatar" means. It's that picture or thing you have below your name, on every reply you post. Currently you can only use avatars from the druchii.net archive.
A custom avatar is any avatar, one you have made yourself or maybe found at some other web page.

As for the topic, I think the return of custom avatars would be great. Myself, I started to recognize people from their avatars when just about everyone had a different avatar.

Moving avatars should not be allowed, though. At least I didn't like them. I bet they slowed the site down a bit, and I just couldn't concentrate on reading a post when a dragon jumped up and down next to it.
Z'gahn
The Touch of Death

Post by Z'gahn »

On one side i'd say it'd be really cool, for the same reasons as above, but on the other hand, it really looks chaotic to me. Not allowing moving avatars would surely help, but, tho i know it is impossible to do it, i think that they should all kinda fit the theme on the site.
Shadowspite
Bronze Khaine Winner

Post by Shadowspite »

Vanderghast has unwittingly demonstrated the absolute most important reason why we need to get the custom avatars back. He's using my sodding avatar! :evil: !lol! ;)
"Sometimes, Brother... I dream that I am sane." - Uros the Faceless

Some of my minis - now on Imgur rather than Photosuckit.
Vanderghast
The Dark Scribe
Location: Sitting before a pile of scrolls, books and countless unfinished tales and poems

Post by Vanderghast »

OH NO!
And Darkness was Lord
Vanderghast
The Dark Scribe

Post by Vanderghast »

To do away with any confusion I have changed my Avatar.

Me want custom Avatars.
And Darkness was Lord
Sureal
Master of the Shadows

Post by Sureal »

SP: But, erm... didn't you draw all the current avatars? Or did someone sneak something funny into my food and I imagined it?

Anyways - I wanna get my personal avatar back - it now even has my name on it ;).
Shadowspite
Bronze Khaine Winner

Post by Shadowspite »

Yes, I did. All the original ones anyway. Steja modified a few of them to create some more variety IIRC. But this one is mine, in that (A) it has my personal serpent rune and (B) it's purple. Steal it at your peril... ;)

Linda lobsta defenda
Witch Elf
Witch Elf

Post by Linda lobsta defenda »

one major prob with costum avatars is copyright.
Auric stormcloud
The Black Serpent

Post by Auric stormcloud »

Linda does bring up a good point. I suppose if we were to bring back custom avatars we'd have to have some restrictions.
Poo-tee-weet?
Regulus
Dark Rider

Post by Regulus »

I think custom avatars are a good thing; They allow a member to express something about who they are, rather than keep things confined to one thing. Of course, I know you guys like to keep things on topic here (which is cool) but it might be neat if people could do that :) Also, as far as I know, no sites have had serious problems with Avatar copyrights thus far, and Im sure if they did, then you would get some kind of warning to know that its crossed the line on their standards...Of course, you guys actually DO have top ranking GW officials prowling in the shadows, so that changes the rules around a bit :) Just playing the devils advocate here...

~ Regulus
~Moderator of Ulthuan.org~

www.ulthuan.org
Vanderghast
The Dark Scribe

Post by Vanderghast »

Hum, I agree Linda. That could be a problem.

Darn. Maybe we could just torture Shadowspite into making some new ones? Like pictures of clawed hands holding magic, hooded faces staring over a glowing orb, more dark elf runes, cool things like that? Of course, time is a valuable commodity that not everybody has in rich abundance, but Shadowspite did so well with the previous I'm sure he can make some really good news ones. ^_^

Vanderghast The Dark Scribe.
And Darkness was Lord
Shadowspite
Bronze Khaine Winner

Post by Shadowspite »

Remember I'm a Slaanesh-worshipper. Torture won't work on me. You're welcome to try anyway, though... :mrgreen:

Seriously, I hardly have enough time to run my RPG groups (as Auric will confirm... :| ) and the CoP initiative, let alone design more avatars.

As for copyright on custom avatars, if Portent.net hasn't had any problems with this, I don't think we need to worry.

Nagathi
The Exiled One

Post by Nagathi »

On every forumsite I´ve seen they had some sort of custom avatars. The copyright thing will probably be just a warning, if it comes up at all...