censored words???

Throw your ideas for Druchii.net around in here...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

The_vicar
Beastmaster

censored words???

Post by The_vicar »

Okay, I just made a post about battle lines and well i'm tired and bored ane mentioned i'll finish it off later but I also in brief mentioned gay and men crying. Forget that random crap, why is gay censored, it's not swearing or cussing? uhh the word to describing to loving men.
Vorchild
Master of the Red Legion
Master of the Red Legion

Post by Vorchild »

Kind of had to know what's censored here, lol. At any rate, the site is supposed to be rate for general audiences or so I thought so there any number of censored words. Personaloly I've neer had a problem, but then again, I rarely use vulgarieties as is. Look on the upside, at least crap isn't censored. ;)

Moved to Suggestions.
_
The storm is coming...
Are you ready?
Sgdre
Trainee Warrior

Post by Sgdre »

i believe the word he was referring to was the word for a man who likes another man
test.......gay.....yep definately censored
Personally, i was wondering why ***** (type of flower, begins with pa, ends with sy) is censored, but is used in the discription of the tactics section....weird
Auric stormcloud
The Black Serpent

Post by Auric stormcloud »

I feel that the censoring of words can make things kind of confusing. I personally like what they do at Proboards, where when you say a word that is censored, it will place another word of similar meaning in its stead.
Poo-tee-weet?
Vorchild
Master of the Red Legion
Master of the Red Legion

Post by Vorchild »

That happens here with certain words as well. Its odd though how the systems are melded together though.
_
The storm is coming...
Are you ready?
Linda lobsta defenda
Witch Elf
Witch Elf

Post by Linda lobsta defenda »

because words like g a y are often used in a demeaning way and for us homosexuals that is very irritating at best ;)

another reason is:

why do you have to use such words? if you must curse do it in a more imagenetive way, we do have younger people reading and some parents do not want theiur kids to be reading page and page of filth.
Zentaricai
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Zentaricai »

I think Heavens Magic should be censored. It offends me and all my Dark Elven Units...
DON'T MONKEY WITH MY BUSINESS
Leithel and odd
My own worst enemy

Post by Leithel and odd »

I don't think this is necessary. It's to easy to make a word by using sybols and do what Linda did. I personally don't like to see words like s#it or shiz either because the word is the same even though it's technically not a rude word. If I don't like the language I'll tell people but I won't lock the thread unless it's offensive.
Then, upon the velvet sinking, I betook myself to linking
Fancy unto fancy, thinking what this ominous bird of yore --
What this grim, ungainly, ghastly, gaunt and ominous bird of yore
Meant in croaking "Nevermore."

E. A. Poe
Dungeon_god
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Dungeon_god »

Frankly, (and I am not sure how hard this would be), why not have a flag in the personal settings that someone can check it to allow them to see the uncensored version-and it defaults to checked?
Well, time WOULD be nice...
And, Storm of Chaos is here. Are you ready?
Dungeon_god
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Dungeon_god »

Linda wrote:because words like g a y are often used in a demeaning way and for us homosexuals that is very irritating at best ;)

another reason is:

why do you have to use such words? if you must curse do it in a more imagenetive way, we do have younger people reading and some parents do not want theiur kids to be reading page and page of filth.

Oh, and I heartily agree with all of this, Linda. Frankly, my speech tends to be littered with curse words when I am upset, however when I am posting I try my best to never use any at all (on the off chance it won't get censored and I will upset someone unwittingly). There are, however, notable exceptions to this... :oops:

However, if words are going to be censored, I have to say that we censor all the correct ones-I have yet to see a word censored that I would think needs to not be censored.
Well, time WOULD be nice...
And, Storm of Chaos is here. Are you ready?
Sgdre
Trainee Warrior

Post by Sgdre »

I understand why swears and such are censored, but why is it the "the P word" (see up) is censored, and yet used in a discription of the tactics forum???

DOUBLE STANTARD!!! *GASP*

(i dont REALLY mind all that much, just mildly curious)
Furion
High Sorcerer

Post by Furion »

Linda wrote:because words like g a y are often used in a demeaning way and for us homosexuals that is very irritating at best ;)

another reason is:

And likewise I wouldn't want my kids exposed to everyone's sexuality either. Really doesn't belong here at all.

But in general, some words need to be censored simply because this isn't a bathroom wall where anyone can scribble any profane thought that courses through their mind.
Putting the FUN back into fundamentalism since 1998
Langmann
Malekith's Tastetester & Physician

Post by Langmann »

Furion wrote:

another reason is:

And likewise I wouldn't want my kids exposed to everyone's sexuality either. Really doesn't belong here at all.

But in general, some words need to be censored simply because this isn't a bathroom wall where anyone can scribble any profane thought that courses through their mind.

Yep.

And I think really the fact some words are censored is the least of everyone's worries. Just find a better word.
While running a million dollar company, singing at weddings, and his frequent jetting to Spain Elton Jon style, Dark Alliance found the time to stand on the doorstep of Games Workshop like Moses and the Pharoah and calmly state, "Let my people go."
The_vicar
Beastmaster

Post by The_vicar »

The context of my post was not about discrimination or anything as tumultous as that, a side note on the fact that i'd helped a gay friend or homosexual both words mean the same thing yet one is censored? I don't understand why anyone would find gay offensive, if it's used in a discriminating way then fair enough but its part of the English language and I'd be deeply surprised if anyone found the word gay offensive. But I guess my question is answered, thanks.
Lord Thalack
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Lord Thalack »

We (the admins) got complaints from members on this site about the use of both words on this site. We decided the easiest way to solve this would be to include them in the word censor thing (and yes, IMO it also isn't really necessary, but it's just the way it is right now).
Sureal
Master of the Shadows

Post by Sureal »

What I find most amusing is that you can say bastard, but not p-a-n-s-y...
Dark Alliance
Morathi's Favoured
Morathi's Favoured

Post by Dark Alliance »

That really needed pointing out :?
Langmann

Post by Langmann »

Ok well this has been answered now by LT. Other than making a longer list of interesting words, lets go back to posting interesting threads and if you find a word that is censored consider it like an easter egg hunt or something.

So I am locking this thread because there is no need to discuss anything more about homosexuality or men who leave their children at birth any longer.

If you want this thread unlocked for any reason, pm me.
While running a million dollar company, singing at weddings, and his frequent jetting to Spain Elton Jon style, Dark Alliance found the time to stand on the doorstep of Games Workshop like Moses and the Pharoah and calmly state, "Let my people go."