how long may a post be? question for the mods

Throw your ideas for Druchii.net around in here...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Mornedhel
Cabal without a cause

how long may a post be? question for the mods

Post by Mornedhel »

hi, i don´t really know where to put htis question, just move it if neccessary.

thing is, i´m writing a rather longish story about my general´s rise to power, and i´ve got 3 pages up to now (in a program similar to ms word), excluding the parts i already published, and the story isn´t complete yet, probably gonna be another two or three pages.

now, is there a restriction to a post´s length? if yes, is it okay to divide the story into many posts directly one after the other?

i hope someone can answer this. on the other hand, nobody´s probably gonna read such a long story anyway .
It´s nice to be important, but it´s more important to be nice.
Darkprincess
Chosen Babe of Slaanesh

Post by Darkprincess »

Well AFAIK, there is no size limit - I've posted some pretty long ones myself in the past.

I think most of us would agree that the length of a post is secondary to its content, so if you post half a page a quality text, you will have fewer problems than if you posted a single line of spam...

I guess you could always split it - what some people have done in the past is to post a page or so, wait for a few comments on it, then posted the next installment underneath it - that seems to work pretty well and is actually easier to read than one huge article which might take quite a bit of time to get through.
The Dark Princess
High Priestess of the Cult Of Pleasure

Give yourself over to absolute pleasure
Swim the warm waters of sins of the flesh
Erotic nighmares beyond any measure
And sensual daydreams to treasure forever
Gnosis
Hard, but Fair

Post by Gnosis »

I'd say, divide it into two or three posts. You probably won't write one long story anyways, but divide it into chapters. Name the chapters differently, like:

...... part one: ....
.........part two: .....
.....part three:....

...and so forth.

Actually, I wouldn't consider a maximum post length to exist, as long as you divide it into paragraphs and add proper punctuations. These divisions are just to make each part a little easier to relate to and to give criticisms on it.
Count them:

Painted in 2013: 500
Painted in 2014: 600
Painted in 2015: 854
Mtucache
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Mtucache »

Actually I think LN's had to split up some of his posts for a couple of the Initiatives... but that may just be the clipboard limit on his computer, not anything to do with D.net.

I'd try to do it all in one, as long as there's no funky formatting or anything, the worst that could happen is you have to split it up and edit the posts... no biggie.
Nagathi
The Exiled One

Post by Nagathi »

The maximum length of any post here on Druchii.net is 50 000 letters if I remember correctly. That is about 20-22 pages in MS Word. I think you'll be safe.

If it do get long, you are ofcourse allowed to split it up in several consecutive posts.

- Nag
Mornedhel
Cabal without a cause

Post by Mornedhel »

okay, thanks for replying people.

i think i´ll go with the version of posting part of the story first, and see if anyone´s interested in reading at all, or if there i are things i can do better to make the story more interesting, then post the next part and so on.

it´s difficult to judge how the story reads when you´ve got the whole story in your head already.
It´s nice to be important, but it´s more important to be nice.
Gnosis
Hard, but Fair

Post by Gnosis »

Good idea, you'll keep it interesting that way, and if you know where to seperate the parts, you can keep it tense as well ;)
Count them:

Painted in 2013: 500
Painted in 2014: 600
Painted in 2015: 854
Anaryin
Lord of the 7th Convent

Post by Anaryin »

There has to be a limit. In all forums, at least, all I know, there is a limit. I remember I once tried to post my story here and it said "too many characters". However, it was 42 pages long... so, I guess 6 is ok :lol:

But keep it in chapters as it will be more interesting to read:)