Get us the chat back!

Throw your ideas for Druchii.net around in here...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Well, who wants the chat back?

Total votes: 0

Lethalis
Loremaster

Post by Lethalis »

I too suffer problems with IRC. Java, you say? Hm, might just be it...where can I download it again? (never trust me when it comes to links ;))
King ulrik flamebeard
Executioner

Post by King ulrik flamebeard »

Hey I'm a fan of IRC (those who know me, know this.. but :P ) I use it on another site, it's very useful and quick. But sometimes does have the problems with netsplits, pinging out etc. But I do like it's up sides

*No I'm not the IRC poster boy, and my underwear is firmly under my jeans before anyone thinks otherwise*

But as to DP, IIRC her problem is her laptop is old and slow (no offense M'Lady) and IRC slows it and she has problems with it alot.

KU
Auric stormcloud
The Black Serpent

Post by Auric stormcloud »

Solution? The "Buy DP a New Laptop Fund"! ;)

Anyway, if IRC is the only way we can go, I'll accept it. I mean, no chat is worse than IRC... I suppose...
Poo-tee-weet?
Noble korhedron
Empire General

Post by Noble korhedron »

For Kitrik, some questions/points of order:

I) Are you sure it'll be totally free?

II) What would people have to do/download to be able to use it?

III) I would be ABLE AND WILLING to make small, regular donations(equiva-lent to $10-15/month), but like a lot of D.net members out there, I don't have a credit card, and will NEVER, repeat NEVER, get one 'til I get a permanent, full-time job. So that kinda screws up any idea of using Paypal for it, don't you think?
Regards,

NK.

http://ulthuan.net/forum
http://warhammer.org.uk/phpBB/index.php
http://warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php
http://www.bartertown.com/trading/index.php

Give me a sense of humor Lord. Give me the grace to see a joke.
To get some humor out of life and pass it on to other folk.
Rork
Lord of Khorne
Lord of Khorne

Post by Rork »

Java IRC seems a little underfeatured...it needs more colours and the "proper" smileys if it's worth having (Read: Use the old style php interface :p).

And mIRC? Probably the worst program in existence.

"Rork.. a wonderful guy :)" - Linda Lobsta Defenda

+++ Team Mulligans +++
Voodoomaster
Lord General Of Khaine

Post by Voodoomaster »

for all who do need java, here is a link to download it.

http://www.java.com/en/download/windows_automatic.jsp
"For every victory there is a defeat, for every defeat there is a victory. My victory, my defeat are for all to see..."
Khael Vraneth, Lord-General of Khaine.
Linda lobsta defenda
Witch Elf
Witch Elf

Post by Linda lobsta defenda »

i have nop probs with java. in fact i like it!! i say Onward!
Silas
the Mad

Post by Silas »

Java is good. I quite like java. I play games on it. Now i sound like Homer.

Oh yeah that reminds me, better change my sig a bit...
Serion
Beastmaster

Post by Serion »

well then. Join #druchii.net on q-net IRC then :D
We can use it until we've come up with something better
Im not stupid, im just having bad luck when im thinking
Vorchild
Master of the Red Legion
Master of the Red Legion

Post by Vorchild »

The old mIRC chat had the trivia bot didn't it? I'm all for that! ;)
_
The storm is coming...
Are you ready?
- human
Adept of Khaine

Post by - human »

I never really liked the chat that much. I know some people lived there, but personally I don't care that it's gone.
- Human
Belial
Modest Member

Post by Belial »

mIRC is okay for me, but still I'd rather have the original chatroom back. But is better than nothing, I guess. Also, it's fine until(if) another solution is found.

Who chose the second option?

I did.

Whats that Java thingie? (I'm horrible with computers)
Mornedhel
Cabal without a cause

Post by Mornedhel »

how does one actually join an irc chat? i never used irc.
i mean, i´d join, but how? :?
It´s nice to be important, but it´s more important to be nice.
Lethalis
Loremaster

Post by Lethalis »

Go to Asur.org and click on 'Chat'. With the pop-up, you click 'Yes'. The chat ;)
Darkprincess
Chosen Babe of Slaanesh

Post by Darkprincess »

Kitrik wrote:darkprincess - does your laptop not have java installed? is that why the IRC chatroom on asur.org won't load for you?

standard java yes, but the java2 VM is way too resoource-hungry to run properly. I did install, it and it did access the asur chatroom, but it was so slow that it was basically unusable :(

Kitrik wrote:I really really really want to move our chatroom to IRC. Main reason is that there is bandwidth on our side, it's all the IRC servers. There are a number of free (ad-free too) java chat programs out there that I can install..

well a standard ad-free java chat would be far preferable to irc in my opinion. I think there are a couple of older irc programs that will work, but frankly every time I've tried a proper irc client I've has unwelcome security issues :(
Also, irc looks and feels really old and clunky. the limited choice of colours, the fact that the colours don't seem to work properly (ie. I can make the text pink but everybody else sees it as black), lack of any really good smilies, no ability to click user names, harder to set up... the list of hates goes on and on and on..

Kitrik wrote:dp - since this is somewhat about you at this point, have you tried getting mIRC to run on your laptop? It's a small IRC program that should work on your laptop... I know you HATE IRC, but I suggest you learn to love it. It is the Chat-backbone of the internet and a lot of people love it (I do!)...

I don't trust irc to be secure, sorry. Admittedly its safer than MSN but I still don't feel comfortable using it for a number of reasons that I won't bore you with here.

Kitrik wrote:My vote is for Java-IRC.

Nooooooooooooooooooooooo - that will make a chat like the asur chat :(

Kitrik wrote:This allows people to get onto chat without coming to D.net (using mIRC or something similar).
It helps us moderate it easier.
It's true real-time.
It doesn't use my bandwidth.
We can share chat channels with other sites.
It's flexible, powerful, and allows us to have a TRIVIABOT!
The list goes on...

What say you?

Kitrik

Please don't worry about my concerns - if everybody else wants an irc chat then give it to them. Don't let my needs spoil it for everybody else.
The Dark Princess
High Priestess of the Cult Of Pleasure

Give yourself over to absolute pleasure
Swim the warm waters of sins of the flesh
Erotic nighmares beyond any measure
And sensual daydreams to treasure forever
Anaryin
Lord of the 7th Convent

Post by Anaryin »

I was about to ask that also Auric: "Lets gather some money to buy DP a new laptop" :lol: :)

Well, about the chat, I prefer IRC because I'm used to it, but I must agree that smileys look nice and that DP is an indispensable factor on any chat...
Kitrik
Fearless Leader of the "Cult of Kitrik"

Post by Kitrik »

dp - you need to understand where i'm coming from at this point. If we are to get a chat back, it must NOT use any of our server's resources and bandwidth. I just can't handle 10-20 people chatting on our server with only a partial-T1 line.

This leaves very few options.
1. we don't have a chat and I point everyone to a different site
2. I install an IRC-based chatroom for everyone to use.

So what do you want?

If I can find a Java-IRC program that is under 20k in size then I will get it up and running this week...

Kitrik
Andruillius
Highborn

Post by Andruillius »

Isn't it possible to make a brand new site only for the chat? Not asking Kitrik here, as he is obviously doing enough for us already.
Unofficial and self-appointed ambassador of
www.battleglade.com
Rork
Lord of Khorne
Lord of Khorne

Post by Rork »

Kitrik wrote:So what do you want?

Something in black ;).

We have (dubious) standards to maintain, after all :p.

"Rork.. a wonderful guy :)" - Linda Lobsta Defenda

+++ Team Mulligans +++
Voodoomaster
Lord General Of Khaine

Post by Voodoomaster »

yep something in black and with lots and lts of good smilies
"For every victory there is a defeat, for every defeat there is a victory. My victory, my defeat are for all to see..."
Khael Vraneth, Lord-General of Khaine.
Vengeanceseeker
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Vengeanceseeker »

An IRC chat, I'm wondering how much longer I can take the white of asur.org.
World of Arl, Where the players matter.

Free Dark Elf army!
VS' known kills: Lord Saradain.
Lethalis
Loremaster

Post by Lethalis »

Depends, checked your batteries? ;)

The Asur one, though, is now Warhammer fantasy. With a change in background it could be intergrated...

But apart from the black, I have one wish;

add the :twisted: smiley
Anaryin
Lord of the 7th Convent

Post by Anaryin »

Well, MSN groups? It has smileys...

DP: What requirements must a program fulfill in order to run there in your computer/laptop?
Tastyfish
Arch-deviant of the Cult of Pleasure

Post by Tastyfish »

Hmm, intersite not really too sure - there seems a fundamental difference between Asur and Druchii players, or at least the sites. Even wihout that, wonder whether 'my general's dad could beat your general's dad' conversations would make it too irritating to use.
Personally, knowing nothing whatsoever about the entire business, yet being arrogant enough to decide I deserve an opinion....I would vote for some off site Druchii chat. If its black and one link away from D.net I wouldn't notice the difference.
Far as chatrooms go, as the original Mr. T said, "you can have anything you want, as long as its black"
Want to write background or fluff for the Herald? PM me
Darkprincess
Chosen Babe of Slaanesh

Post by Darkprincess »

Kitrik wrote:dp - you need to understand where i'm coming from at this point. If we are to get a chat back, it must NOT use any of our server's resources and bandwidth. I just can't handle 10-20 people chatting on our server with only a partial-T1 line.

This leaves very few options.
1. we don't have a chat and I point everyone to a different site
2. I install an IRC-based chatroom for everyone to use.

So what do you want?

If I can find a Java-IRC program that is under 20k in size then I will get it up and running this week...

Kitrik

OK, taking your points one at a time. Firstly, yes I understand your position on this and I agree that whatever chat we end up with cannot be allowed to degrade server performance - whatever else happens, the site is a hell of a lot more important than the chatroom.

I'm sure many people here would love an IRC chatroom and while some of the low-end IRC clients will run happily on even my ancient equipment, I wouldn't really feel safe using it, so in the end, I probably wouldn't.

Which leaves a java chat of some kind. The java2 VM is very unhappy running on my 150MHz laptop in 40Mb RAM (bearing in mind that even win98 Lite uses a big chunk of that just to run itself much less anything else - and no, I can't add more RAM - it has 8Mb on board and 2 slots each of which has 16Mb in it (the maximum it will take).

The standard java environment should run ok, if a little slowly, on it though (java 1 as we will undoubtedly have to start calling it from now on)

So I guess it'll have to be java-based.

But if everyone else wants IRC, then give them IRC - this cannot be only about me - this site has around 7000 members and I'm only one...

The asur.org chat, being a nasty combination of IRC with a java frontend will work OK on my main PC (400MHz celeron with 128Mb RAM), although Danceman brought it to its knees tonight by sending a file to me via DCC - but for simple chatting it does work, although its a bit clunky and spurious (the colour selector box only appearing now and again, unpredictable is the best way to describe it.

It's a pity really, as the upgraded chatroom we enjoyed here for a couple of days was absolutely fantastic - but then I guess it was all too good to be true.

But the site HAS to come first. It cannot be put at risk to satisfy the needs of a small handful of members, regardless how how much we all loved the chatroom. Though it pains me greatly to say it, that is the simple truth.

Maybe an offsite chat as tastyfish has suggested would be better - I don't know really

Sorry if I'm rambling a bit now - I don't think it's such a good idea to be posting at 3:30am :(
The Dark Princess
High Priestess of the Cult Of Pleasure

Give yourself over to absolute pleasure
Swim the warm waters of sins of the flesh
Erotic nighmares beyond any measure
And sensual daydreams to treasure forever