8th Edition.

For discussion about all the lesser races of Warhammer. Talk about armies, tactics and lists to take on the Druchii here...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Enkiel
Assassin

Post by Enkiel »

SilverHeimdall wrote:Rumors point to Summer 2010 with an Empire&Greenskin starter set in September 2010.

so many rumor for next summer...

8th ed, new books for some army, campaign around mounted army...
King porky
Shade

Post by King porky »

The guy in the know in my shop (who is good friends with some people in gw)
told me that BoC in feb (as we all know) TK in may and 8th edition in July and he is wrong once in a blue moon.
(\__/)
(O.o )
(> < ) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

3/4 of games are won by deathstars. Copy this into your signature if you still use real tactics to win.
Enkiel
Assassin

Post by Enkiel »

King Porky wrote:The guy in the know in my shop (who is good friends with some people in gw)
told me that BoC in feb (as we all know) TK in may and 8th edition in July and he is wrong once in a blue moon.
has he mentioned anything about a big campaign this summer?
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

The guy in the know in my shop (who is good friends with some people in gw)

I love people like that :P
A friend of my friend who's Alessio's cousin's friend told me >.>
7th edition army book:
Games Played: 213
Games Won: 114 (54%)
Games Drawn: 33 (15%)
Games Lost: 66 (31%)

8th Edition army book W/D/L:
Druchii: 36/4/16
Bassman76
Highborn

Post by Bassman76 »

I want Chaos Dwarfs back! It might be a dream but would be nice a Dwarfs Vs Chaos Dwarfs starter set..... ;)
when you go down, go down fighting!!

if you hang around Milan:

www.milantour.net

Special cultural events in Milan? Pretige locations for your company?

www.milanoarte.net
Kold
Black Guard

Post by Kold »

Maybe we will see FW Chaos Dwarfs...
...kill'em all
Fr0
Trademaster

Post by Fr0 »

Malberoth Grieftide wrote:If it is true then it wont be until 2011 i thinks. That leaves Beasts of chaos, Bretonnians and tomb kings as the armies in sore need of updating, followed swiftly by woodies and dwarfs. Personally i dont see it coming quite yet and id much rather have a polish of the current rules than another edition altogether.

Ogre Kingdoms would like a word with you. They're due for a book before Brets, but probably after TK. CD would be awesome to see come back, but they seem to be pushing it off.. although FW is supposedly going to be releasing some models.

*Edit*
:/

Didn't see original date.
Drek
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Drek »

Dalamar wrote: I love people like that :P
A friend of my friend who's Alessio's cousin's friend told me >.>

This one time, at band camp... ;)
Malevion
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by Malevion »

But does anyone know much about what the edition will be like?

I've heard that they are supposedly putting the focus of the game on to completing mission objectives(like 40k) rather than harvesting VPs

This seems dubious to me because as long as I can remember victory points have been the goal in warhammer. Maybe they mean that will just be bringing back the alternate senarios of the older editions. this could potentially be a good thing meaning people would have to focus more on tactics and movement rather than taking the most powerful units and auto-winning.

What do you guys think?
He is a pimp and pimps don't commit suicide.

Dead men don't strike first
Blaznak
Beastmaster

Post by Blaznak »

Oh, here are Actual 8th Edition Rumors you can spread around. If any of them come to pass, you heard it here first. If none end up being true, all the better.

1) Chaos Dwarves will be back, but will no longer wear big hats. Instead, they will wear sensible stocking caps. They will, however, still have wicked cool 'stashes.
2) Lizardmen are out, except as footwear and suitcases.
3) Weapon Skill will be replaced by Accounting and the Tileans will be the new power race.
4) Dogs of War will get a huge upgrade with "Greyhounds and Pit Bulls Army Book".
5) Die Rolls will be determined to take too long and be too hard for new players so Paper Rock Scissors will make a comeback.
6) The Realm of Chaos will erupt in delicious goodness with a new lunch box at Taco Bell: The Nurgito Burrito.
7) Morathi casts a spell allowing her to travel through time. She appears just before the release of "The Crying Game" and tells everyone the secret, destroying Forest Whitaker's career for no apparent reason.
8) Games Workshop reveals its new mascot: Timmy the Cash Register. Its not as big of a hit as expected.

Later!
~B~
Krupp
Executioner

Post by Krupp »

But does anyone know much about what the edition will be like?

I've heard that they are supposedly putting the focus of the game on to completing mission objectives(like 40k) rather than harvesting VPs

Alot of the rumors flying around don't sound all that likely IMO. % cap on characters (word on the street is 25%) with the loss of slots.
Skaven vs High Elves in the new box (this has alot of confirmation)

I don't see mission objectives ala 40k, i don't think fantasy will go that route, its cumbersome with big block units. The structure of armies and rules revolves around pitched battles. I could see them adding different deployment zones, but even then I think the classic set suits fantasy best.

Oh and it looks like multi-saves are gonna go, take your best one and thats it.
Red...
Generalissimo

Post by Red... »

Most recent rumour I heard was that the magic phase will go before the movement phase.
"While all answers are replies, not all replies are answers. So answer the question."

Don't be a munchkin?

I am an Extraordinary Druchii Gentleman
Malekithau
Silver Khaine Winner

Post by Malekithau »

Summary of what I've heard, in relation to 8th rules.

Magic system overhauled possibly with random magic dice each phase with rolls modified by the level of the caster - this would explain the ultra high casting values in Skaven and BOC.

Magic before movement - will make primal surge worthwhile.

More emphasis on core troops - back to % of types with Core troops being 25% or so characters also limited.

Only 1 type of save ala 40k ether armour or ward not both. This also helps explain why the BoC book is not replete with magic items.

Fear and terror scaled back - possibly as a modifier to combat only.

More bonuses for ranks possibly also for wider units. Big guys, minos, ogres etc may get rank bonus with 3 wide.

Weapons may also be overhauled to make spears and other mundane wespons more attractive rather then the hw/sh combo so many prefer.

That's all I can remember at the moment.

Honestly the more Im hear the more I think 8th is going to be very different to 7th. Even if only half of these are correct the game will be changed massively.

Only DE rumour I've heard is plastic DR with summer campaign possibly new COC at same time.
" If I wanted to roll a million dice I'd play Yahtzee!"
Silverheimdall
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Silverheimdall »

Skaven vs High Elves was the first rumor for 8th edition starter kit before someone came out with "Empire vs OnG again".

So it looks like Skaven & HE it is.

From what I've read, the new edition will affect High elves more positively and Wood Elves more negatively.

X:
Krupp
Executioner

Post by Krupp »

I've heard that every model in a unit will able to attack large targets in close combet. This combined with being able to take only 1 save will really tone down the hydra.

I have i feeling they had this in mind when they did the new dark elf book as the hydra was grossly undercosted. Could go a long way to toning down dragons and HPAs.
Lovok
Trainee Warrior

Post by Lovok »

A sticky rumor is that base sizes will be standartised (is that an apropriate word in english?). So I expect a lot of moaning from players which have to "re-glue" their miniatures. There should be:

Normal size (Elves, Dwarfs, Humans,...)
Mean Brutes (Orcs, Chaos Warriors,...)
Big ´Uns (Ogres, Trolls and somehow Cavalry - don´t ask me how that should work)
Monsters (Dragons, Shaggoth, Manticors,...)

Reminds me of the painful moaning from our BoC player and his Ungor problem.
Malekithau
Silver Khaine Winner

Post by Malekithau »

I'll expand on that - ranks bonus will be absed on the size of the base.

20mm 5 per rank, 25 4 per rank (incl cav) 40 3 per rank.

Include impacts for all heavy cav ie not fast cav and that will get cav and ranked trrops back in the game in a big way. Especially if changes to weapksn are changed - ie spears may be better versus cav as they were in real life.

Again just rumour.

But they would work quite well.
" If I wanted to roll a million dice I'd play Yahtzee!"
Mythrider
Corsair

Post by Mythrider »

2 rumours I have seen on Warseer that are not mentioned here, both of which would affect us Druchii:

1, Heavy Cav (anything with 2+ save or better) will not be able to March.

2, Infantry will all fight in 1 more rank than they do now ie. Witches and Execs fight in 2 ranks, Spears fight in 3. Presumably HE Spears would fight in 4.

These 2 changes along with the rumoured 40% core requirement will supposedly put the emphasis on ranked units instead of making them the liability that they currently tend to be.

Personally I put more stock in 1, than I do in 2,; while the thought of my 7x2 Witches fighting in 2 ranks makes me giddy I'm sure someone at GW has considered this too and won't let it happen.

42 poisoned attacks before adding a Hag or any Gifts or Cauldron buffs, OMG!
Miles and miles of nether worlds I`ve roamed...

Build a man a fire and you will keep him warm for just one night; set a man on fire and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life.
Kheel
Noble

Post by Kheel »

Word on getting Chaos Dwarves back.
That would be worth while. Got a friend who just started converting skull pass Night Goblins into Hobgoblins, and skullpass dwarves into Chaos Dwarves... And for Taurus Warriors, he is making these Dwyders, DwarfSpiders :D
Is gonna take him a while, but if everything goes as planned, he will have a solid 1000 points army ready for play testing within three months, and a 2250 points army till the summer - and who knows, maybe he will be done ready to play when 8th ed comes, and the possibility of a revamp of Chaos Dwarves! That would be GOAL!!
//Kheel

Nobody really cares if you’re miserable, so you might as well be happy.
Yourmumrang
Noble

Post by Yourmumrang »

I adore all of these new rumours. Toning down of magic, buffs to infantry and a knock to monsters that currently dominate the game.

Hell, I might even start that Hellebron infantry list I've been pondering.
Hauclir
Trainee Warrior

Post by Hauclir »

The (modified) randomized magic dice rumour might really affect DE too, any updates on that?

I was expecting a rewrite soon, but not this bloody soon. Why even bother putting out TK if there's an 8th ed coming out a couple months later?
Druzil
Trainee Warrior

Post by Druzil »

to sell models
Lamekh
The Scourge of Khaine

Post by Lamekh »

the new books will be written with 8th Ed. rules in mind, like the Beastmen and Skaven army books
Zenith
Noble

Post by Zenith »

Lamekh wrote:the new books will be written with 8th Ed. rules in mind, like the Beastmen and Skaven army books

Nice, so what makes those two armies so different then?
seriously i never played against the newer editions of beastmen or skaven,

i guess by reading them carefully we can identify some 8 eth previews
Lamekh
The Scourge of Khaine

Post by Lamekh »

First hint for me would be the Spells, high complexity and the Beastmen have a movement spell, which will only work properly if the Magic phase will become the first phase.

pics of the minotaurs could also be a hint, they are ranked 3 wide, two deep, which could support this rumour:
20mm 5 per rank, 25 4 per rank (incl cav) 40 3 per rank.

and so forth...