Storm of Magic Pictures from latest WD +PICS+

For discussion about all the lesser races of Warhammer. Talk about armies, tactics and lists to take on the Druchii here...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Kalath'n'dhar
Trainee Warrior

Post by Kalath'n'dhar »

I must be one of the rare people out there who prefers the GW new black dragon compare to the FW dragon. It looks to bulky for me and the pose is kind of weird ("surf riding dragon").

On the other hand, I'm a huge fan of the thin hydra design and therefore, the new black dragon obviously looks sweet to me even tho I'm waiting to see it life to set my mind down.

Considering the riders, I'm kind of disappointed. It looks like dark elves characters always look "good but could be better" and that's exactly the feeling I have when looking to the drealord. He's just another cock knight.

The sorceress on another hand... from only the pictures I think they look rather bad right now. They're kind of bulky, looks anatomically weird and are kind of rushed. I mean just look at the neck area of the foot sorceress... Not a huge fan of the ugly face either and the six-packs (four-packs ?) still bugs me
Lazarus
Phlebotomist of Khaine

Post by Lazarus »

I will withold judgement on the new sorceress until I see it up close and personal. I'm not a fan of the paintjob, I'm hoping that it's just a crappy attempt to extreme highlight/push the image. I'm hoping that a more subtle painting will look better and not so generically square and boxlike as the pictures make it seem.
I've been to Middenheim,
I've been to Ulthuan,
I've been to Cathay too,
So what, so what
so what so what you boney little f***
Malmorte
Shade

Post by Malmorte »

my opinion, its nice looking expansion, though personally i'm not a fan of magic, the new releases of models covering niches in the range. kIts should be interesting. i'm also looking forward to the battle report featuring my two races, WoC and D.E.

As to the models themselves, well, don't really like them much except for the DL on dragon which is quite nice. The sorceress is ok, kinda like a female Schwarzenegger, the sorceror lord well ok but still kinda ugly and the tzeentch lord is just TOO ugly. They used to say tentacles make models look weak, why do they put these horns on the sorcerors head, they look like mutants.

The chaos lord on manti is ok but the manticore its self is overweight. The lord on top is ok, the sorceror part of that kit is what a chaos sorceror should look like.
Anyway, i'm not tooo thrilled with the released but am happy about the new models.
Lord damian valar
Cold One Knight

Post by Lord damian valar »

Now that I think about it, it seems that Malekith on his black Dragon might be very good when on a Fulcrum.

With his spellshield / MR / 3+ ward for Fuldrum / max 1 wound he seems very well protected against enemy magic

Against most shooting he has a 2+ ward and his dragon a 3+

And in combat, well, lets just say he is pretty capable of holding his own!
Red...
Generalissimo

Post by Red... »

With his spellshield / MR / 3+ ward for Fuldrum / max 1 wound he seems very well protected against enemy magic

Isnt his spellshield now nerfed as its rules were changed to match the common enchanted item spellshield?
"While all answers are replies, not all replies are answers. So answer the question."

Don't be a munchkin?

I am an Extraordinary Druchii Gentleman
Church
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Church »

I've checked errata and found nothing, so probably no...
Mr_piechee
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Mr_piechee »

Everything looks good in my opinion, but nothing looks great. The plastic models don't look very well sculpted when you look at unpainted builds of them which worries me.

As for the rules/idea/campaign - The two things i love about fantasy, Beasts and Magic all rolled in to loveliness. Problem is, GW has lost the plot. There is no way i'm paying the prices they're asking for! The finecast stuff might be nice, but its not worth the price. I think i might start learning to sculpt, and then start some of my own moulding.

And that FW dragon is awesome! I've got a 5th(?) ed beastlord dragon, which IMO is much better than the melakith and the new DE dragon
[hope you don't mind my random babel] ~ Take a look to the sky just before you die, its the last time you will ~ my pics
Saintofm
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Saintofm »

Red... wrote:

Isnt his spellshield now nerfed as its rules were changed to match the common enchanted item spellshield?

More or less, espesialy with the current rules for magic resistance. I liked the old one as it actualy made you resilient to it (X number of die to dispell every time a spell hits him). Now it just gives him a 5+ ward save against spells, and some spells ignore all saves.

EDIT.

OK, really don't want to double post, but checked GW's facebook on a whime and they got the new monster states out now, and pictures.

Main Page On It

Chimera

To me, it looks vastly under powered, especially when compared to the mountain Chimera transformation in the main book, but anyone and everyone can take it (so Brettonia and Dark Elves can have a shot using monster heavy armies for example).

Storm of Chaos intro

Cockatrice]Main Monster Page

This one looks interesting as it can hold it's own in combat, but it's primary purpos is to be a hero killer.

Chaos Manticore
Who needs sanity? I have a Hydra
Burizan
Beastmaster

Post by Burizan »

I saw the new storm of magic book yesterday and its pretty cool, there's a hell of a lot of monsters (e.g. exalted [greater daemon] with insane statlines) and dark magic gets a nice cataclysm spell - vortex with effects like dwellers below but forcing successful tests ro reroll :)
Kransky
Slave on the Altar

Post by Kransky »

I will withold judgement on the new sorceress until I see it up close and personal. I'm not a fan of the paintjob, I'm hoping that it's just a crappy attempt to extreme highlight/push the image. I'm hoping that a more subtle painting will look better and not so generically square and boxlike as the pictures make it seem.

I picked up the plastic sorceress on a whim yesterday even thought I was also unimpressed with the WD pics, but was pleasantly surprised. Although it's just a simple sorceress I was actually shocked by how good the sculpt was. It has a level of fine detail I have seen possible in plastics or metal to this point.

It also may have been just my sculpt but the thing had absolutely no mould lines on it at all, and within 5 minutes I had it assembled and ready to be primed (and after spending two full days last week scraping all the tricky-to-get mould lines on my cold ones I found it a welcome relief - stupid neck spines and rider shoulder pads!)

The dragon is also better close up, but I won't be picking it up as I prefer my old-school metal one.

If this is new level of plastics that is coming out I'm very optimistic about future releases.
Lazarus
Phlebotomist of Khaine

Post by Lazarus »

Just a side note....within the storm of magic book, dark elves STILL feature the old dark riders. No hints at any new models anywhere to be seen.
I've been to Middenheim,
I've been to Ulthuan,
I've been to Cathay too,
So what, so what
so what so what you boney little f***
Thanee
Rending Star
Rending Star

Post by Thanee »

Watched a game of Storm of Magic yesterday... craziness! :lol:

But it looks like a hell of a lot of fun. :D

It's definitely more towards casual gaming, though.

Bye
Thanee
Deadlydragoon
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Deadlydragoon »

Master/Dreadlord w/ Ring of Hotek on Peg = good times in Storm of Magic. With Fulcrums, its not going to be as easy to avoid him.
Thanee
Rending Star
Rending Star

Post by Thanee »

And don't forget The Other Trickster's Shard... 3+ Ward saves galore. ;)

Bye
Thanee
Kuanor
Black Guard

Post by Kuanor »

Tethlis wrote:I'm surprised there haven't been any active comparisons to 40k's Apocalypse.

There have.
And the response was something about “hate” and “wait till it’s out”.
Tethlis
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Tethlis »

Kuanor wrote:And the response was something about “hate” and “wait till it’s out”.

When I made that post nearly a month ago, I hadn't seen that comparison made yet ;) .

There does appear to be quite a bit more structure than with Apocalypse though, which I like.
There is no escape from Chaos. It marks us all.

Kuanor
Black Guard

Post by Kuanor »

Really? ;)
Kuanor wrote:Yes, if you already have a snow shovel for casualties on your regular troops from Apocalypse, you probably won’t need a new one for SoM.

Means about „Apoca and SoM will be both the same” – not very sophisticated but it was, as you say, a month ago and we didn’t know much about SoM.
Buddylimbeck
Warrior

Post by Buddylimbeck »

I got to play a storms of magic game yesterday night. 2000 pts my DE vs. Empire. I can tell you a few things.
1. AWESOME!!
2. So many things to choose from between bindings, pacts and artifacts it is probably more fun making a list for it than any other game i have played.
3. First game we had misunderstood a few rules and I wiped him out
4. Second game we played it correctly and by 4th round it looked like i had no hope, till he miscasted twice having to role for each miscast table meaning four different miscasts affect meaning he wiped out his whole army and i came back and learned a valuable lesson- never give up.
5. DE definately have an advantage being able to throw as many dice as we want, in one of my phases I had 24 power dice and due to an item and killing 12 of my own guys for sacrifices had 36 dice to use to cast. I ended up wiping out most of my army due to misfire on vortex, but it was a blast just to see the look on his face when i had all those power dice sitting there to his 12 dispel.
good..bad..i'm the guy with the gun
Mr_piechee
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Mr_piechee »

That doesn't make it sound awesome. That makes it sound like you should just roll a dice at the beginning and who ever rolls highest wins.
[hope you don't mind my random babel] ~ Take a look to the sky just before you die, its the last time you will ~ my pics
Gazcal
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Gazcal »

i think playing vs dwarfs will be fun as they will be the most likly to stop all our magic have the big cannons to stop our monsters can recruit a sneaky wizard.

anyway i really cant wait til i have the book, damn lack of money :( and if i get enough money to spare from my beastmen i am thinking about getting the dragon as specialy with the spare model i could possibly get a manticore and put 1 o our guys on it. and pin the head so can replace to use as bound for beastmen.

the sorceress looks fairly good but couple of problems mainly being not getting any spare parts and the cost but thats the same as most gw characters now if not cheaper and also like someone said the hands are crap:)
pendant + ogre tyrant = dead ogre tyrant :)
Thanee
Rending Star
Rending Star

Post by Thanee »

Mr_PieChee wrote:That doesn't make it sound awesome. That makes it sound like you should just roll a dice at the beginning and who ever rolls highest wins.

It is quite a bit of fun! :)

It is crazy and lots of things are really powerful, and it is also a bit random, but nonetheless it is fun (unless you despise such things, of course).

Bye
Thanee
Thanee
Rending Star
Rending Star

Post by Thanee »

gazcal wrote:the sorceress looks fairly good but couple of problems mainly being not getting any spare parts and the cost but thats the same as most gw characters now if not cheaper and also like someone said the hands are crap:)

Yep, it's quite a costly model with no extra bits (for those the new dragon is great!), but really, the model is nothing short of amazing. The pictures from WD and the website do not nearly do her justice.

I just put one of mine together, and I'm really pleased. Coolest Sorceress model so far by a wide margin for me (she even has her trusted sacrificial dagger), and the first one that actually fits the image from the armybook pictures. Awesome! :D

I hope there will be more models of this quality level.

Bye
Thanee
Dyvim tvar
Lord of the Dragon Caves
Lord of the Dragon Caves

Post by Dyvim tvar »

Agree -- I got a new sorceress model and it is excellent.
Truly These are the End Times ...
Saintofm
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Saintofm »

I do have to say I like the upgrades they have for the harpies. Killing Blow, Flaming magical attacks, and/or poison, sighn me up.
Who needs sanity? I have a Hydra