Storm of Magic Pictures from latest WD +PICS+

For discussion about all the lesser races of Warhammer. Talk about armies, tactics and lists to take on the Druchii here...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

faeli-n
Black Guard

Storm of Magic Pictures from latest WD +PICS+

Post by faeli-n »

These files are big, so I'm linking rather than resizing so no-one loses the details.

Credit goes to M'ichal from WS on these.

Scenery shots + DE Sorceress
Magic cards+ Dice + Templates + Art
Big army shot: DE Dragon + Sorceress + Chimera + Cockatrice + Chaos Manticore and some on-foot magic users
Alternative shots of DE Dragon + Cockatrice

Some weird angles, but at least it gives us something to go on...
Dictator
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Dictator »

Great models! The new sorceress looks great, the dragon looks even better than the last! Who could want more? I am afraid of the price though! I think I'll pay the money either way.
"The Cowards never came, the Weak died along the way, the Brave arrived, the Tough remained." -unknown American pioneer
VC painting log
My blog
My Lizardmen
Dyvim tvar
Lord of the Dragon Caves
Lord of the Dragon Caves

Post by Dyvim tvar »

Thanks for the news -- you should probably only post it to one forum though to keep all discussion together.
Truly These are the End Times ...
Kajchi
Dark Rider

Post by Kajchi »

Wow, I'm absolutely loving the new dragon. The cockatrice also looks awesome, too bad there's no use for them in our army... The manticore on the other hand I have my doubts about. I really don't like its body. It looks like he has some kind of beer belly or something. But I'm gonna wait until I've seen him from some more angles before I judge.

Latsly there's the chimeara. This one is an absolute failire IMHO. The wings are tiny (same with the manticore btw) and I'm not liking the bulge like thing on the dragons throat. =I appreciate that they're tryin to be innovative with the bird heads, but that's just not working for me.

Overall, the stuff looks good, and I love the fact that so much work has been put in making miniatures for SoM, but for now, I'm not really impressed by most of them. I sincerely hope that different angles or better pictures will change my mind.

P.S.: Anyone else noticed the claws on the manticores wings? Sems like someone has been looking at raging heroes' work ;)
Diablo
Cold One Knight

Post by Diablo »

something i found elsewhere, there are some hints about pricing:"

Storm of Magic will be a full-colour hardcover book, about half the thikness of the Core Rulebook, and at the price of, well, apoximatly one Leman Russ Battletank.
It's due for release the second saturday of July. Previews start the saturday befor.

There will be a multitude of kits and gimmicks to acompany them.

Plastic Boxed Sets are:

Chaos Lord on Manticore
Dark Elven Lord on Black Dragon

Both Kits are the same price as a similar High Elven Ridden Monster.

The saddle, Rider and (in case of the Dragon) the armour are completly optional.

There is also a Kit labeled
Chimaera
and one labeled
Cockatrice
which are the same price as a 10 man Space Marines Squad.

There are also some Clampack releases:
Chaos Supreme Sorcerer
Supreme Sorcerer of Tzeentch
Vampirecounts Necromancer
Dark Elven High Sorceress

I don't know what these are made of. Since they are clampacked I guessed Finecast, but the price of, ah, well, lets say it in GBP: It's a one-digit-point-something Price lable.
Quiet affordable if it was finecast, but since hasitings said plastic sorceres... well... do the math.

Of course there is a whole bunch of playthings and gimmics aswell, like Vortex Templates (Like the Dark Eldar Wayportal template, only bigger), Dice, Battle Magic Cards (which apearently come in a cool box of sime Lost Arc style... with skulls of course...) and Focus Points (4 different ones).

Which brings us to rules.

Storm of Magic is for any Warhammer Fantasy Battle Army. It supports you with a alternative of Deployment, Magic and Army composition rules.

Game mechanics
While you place terrain, you deploy Magil Focus points. Think of these as landmarks inhibited with strong magics, like towers, magical stairs, Columns of Fire, or what ever. Each army starts with a designated number of Focus points, it depends of the scale of the game. 1 per army per 1000 points is, what I was told, suggested in the book.
You may place 1 Wizard including a mount on top of the Focus point, and one guarding unit within a limited space - enough to place about 30 standard base-sized miniatures, I was told. The rest of your army is deployed as usual.

The game is all about dominating these points, which grant great boni to your wizard while he stands atop of them. The Magic Phase is strongly buffed with 4D6 Power dice. In addition, you determine the ascending wind of magic at the beginning of each magic phase. (It's done randomly by some sort of tool, don't ask me what it is, I don't know, but apperantly it's not a dice.) Army book Lores are associated with Army book rules, for example if the Lore of Light is the Ascendand Lore this turn, High Magic is Ascended aswell (I don't know if High Lore is really associated with Lore of Light - it's simply a example of my understanding of the mechanics).

The Ascended magic gains a +4 bonus on attempts to cast their spells. You cannot change the Ascendend in any way, though it's determined new in every magic phase.

There is also a bunch of new spells which appearently give you the possibility not only to summon Monsters loke the Cockatrice, but also whole units from other armies. I personally didn't by this one. It was a long evening with a LOT of beer.

Take all of this with salt. And enjoy. "
Blaznak
Beastmaster

Post by Blaznak »

Loves me the new minis. If they integrate it into tournament legal army choices, then its a win, in my book. White Dwarf is apparently releasing a new exclusive monster for Vampire Counts. Maybe we can get us a Wyvern or Chymera for some beastmaster army fun!
~B~
Saintofm
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Saintofm »

We also get out own dragon, so this will be fun as well, and we can use the rider as a malekith model.
Who needs sanity? I have a Hydra
Bitterman
Beastmaster

Post by Bitterman »

Not a fan of the new minis. Even the new DE Sorceress looks distinctly less good to me than the existing ones, and the Black Dragon looks like it's in the middle of a cockfight.

Not impressed... and the rules (what little we know so far) sound stupid. Spells needing a 35+ to cast? Why bother with miniatures at all, with spells that destructive? Just skip the movement, shooting and combat phases and just roll some magic dice, first one to get two 6s wins.
faeli-n
Black Guard

Post by faeli-n »

Woah Bitterman, having experience of you on a few threads now, I have to ask: do you live under a bridge and steal lunch-money from goats?
Tzelok
Beastmaster

Post by Tzelok »

I could like the new mini's but i'd need to seem them up close.

As for the rules I agree with bitterman, I already felt magic was too intense though so I am biased.
Army Plog Below:
http://www.druchii.net/viewtopic.php?t=63015

Scratch Built Druchii Tower:
http://druchii.net/viewtopic.php?t=67976&highlight=

The League of Extraordinary Druchii Gentleman
Bitterman
Beastmaster

Post by Bitterman »

Sorry FaeLi-N, my apologies, I should have realised I'm not allowed an opinion.
faeli-n
Black Guard

Post by faeli-n »

My problem is that your opinions are based on your own imagination of things to come... you hate finecast without having picked one up (or seen one) to compare anything else to, and you think the rules for Storm of Magic are 'stupid' without a single clue as to what they are... it's childish, inflammatory and totally ungrounded in any fact.

EDIT: If you had read multiple posts (i.e. become informed) you might have found out about the rules concerning vortex templates as objectives and using these to gain a huge bonus to magic. So, undoubtedly, a 35+ spell isn't going to be capable of being used every turn (without unstoppable force/miscast), it will be based on objective acquisition (any may, indeed, only be usable when said objective is captured) as a game-winning device, and is therefore more reasonable that you suggest in your brief review.

But you didn't.
Bitterman
Beastmaster

Post by Bitterman »

I know what a 25+ spell does - it ruins the game. I can infer from that what a 35+ spell does. (Tzelok just said he agrees, so it's not even as though it's only me!) And how can you say I've not seen a Finecast model to compare? I've seen plenty, in photos and in the flesh, and once undercoated they look identical to metal ones (miscasts excepting of course). I've not bought any, but why would I buy something that is more expensive for, at best, the same quality?

I'm sorry that you find it so difficult to accept that people dare to disagree with you, but I don't see that as any reason to belittle them; frankly the problem appears to be with you, not me.
faeli-n
Black Guard

Post by faeli-n »

Not going to bother any further, you're logical is obviously, and decidedly, infallible. It's definitely me that's the problem.

I only wish I'd managed to get the advance copy of the rules as soon as you did.

*sigh*
Loki
Brolock
Brolock

Post by Loki »

Please keep this thread civil, do not make me lock it.

Loki
+++ Team Mulligans +++

FAQ
Teefie
Trainee Warrior

Post by Teefie »

Well, all I know is, is that I am most definitively going to get the terrain, dragon and sorceress model! :P
Odo: "You'd shoot a man in the back?"

Garak: "It's the safest way, isn't it?"
Sulla
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Sulla »

Not a fan of the dragon or manticore, but the sorceress, terrain and cockatrice are excellent. I may get it to use as a dark pegasus for a master.
Overmind
Beastmaster

Post by Overmind »

I'm going to have to start saving up for that Dragon. Very cool looking IMHO.
Les yuex sans le vie
Les magots ont infesté cadaver
Montagne du crane
Quelque du chose mon favorite.....
Vulcan
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Vulcan »

Thus far, the best thing about Storm of Magic is that it is supposed to be optional rather than core rules. Thus. I won't have to drop a couple hundred more dollars on an already expensive hobby (at least, for my income bracket) to keep playing. Besides, given the general game-busting role of magic in 8E - when it works, anyway - the last thing the game needs is more powerful magic.

Granted, in my personal opinion. Yours may vary widely. ;)

As far as the models go (and this is judging strictly by those pics)...

The Manticore and Chimera both share a lot in common; I assume the same person did both from the same basic body. They further share in common a general level of malformation that I do not care for. The metal Manticore I just finished painting looks loads better than the one pictured. I hope that is a case of a really, really bad paint job... twice... but somehow I don't think that Manticore is going to find a home in my collection. And that Chimera had better look a ton better from a different angle or else I won't be getting that one either.

The Cockatrice doesn't look too bad. Not exactly a classic look for one (and what's up with the extra foot on the end of its tail?) but it is much better executed than the Manti/Chimera. But I don't see a role for it in any of my armies, so I have to pass on this one.

The Black Dragon is pretty meh. The head harkens back to the older dragon sculpts and the current hydra... neither of which really blow my skirt up, so to speak. The body seems quite scrawny too. The mounted lord looks pretty good, but the sorceress looks rather... plus-sized. Not a good look for a gal in a skimpy bikini, mini or not. Maybe a more flattering angle will help. :?

Besides, I am already working on two HE -> DE dragon conversions. I don't need a third. I might get the riders from the bitz dealers though.

On the other hand, the foot soceress looks pretty good. I don't need another (I already have three different scuplts), so I won't be getting one. Pity.
Durzod
Corsair

Post by Durzod »

My biggest fear about Storm of Magic is that Matt Ward will continue his unfortunate tendency to "If it's worth doing (and even if it's not) it's worth overdoing!"
As for the pictures of the minis, I'm sorely disappointed with GW. They have all the original photos and all they put out are a bunch of amateurish copies from a spread out magazine?! Seriously? This I would expect as a "Hey, I got a copy of the SoM book and here's a sample" from some fanboy, not an official release from the company.

I am happy about the new plastic wizards. Being plastic there'll be a lot of extra bits I have lying around that'll find a new home. I'm not a great fan of the big monsters in the game, but as models they look pretty good. Just hope I can afford a few without living on ALPO for a year!
The pellet with the poison's in the.Vessel with the Pestle.
The Chalice from the Palace has the brew that is true.
-------------------------------------------------------
Nowhere in the rules does it say that Giant's CAN'T fly.
faeli-n
Black Guard

Post by faeli-n »

Durzod wrote:As for the pictures of the minis, I'm sorely disappointed with GW. They have all the original photos and all they put out are a bunch of amateurish copies from a spread out magazine?! Seriously?

I'm unsure about your statement above? The pics above were originally scanned by a member of another forum from the latest White Dwarf - GW didn't release these images as such...
Durzod
Corsair

Post by Durzod »

They did in the e-mail newsletter they sent me. I was shocked.
The pellet with the poison's in the.Vessel with the Pestle.
The Chalice from the Palace has the brew that is true.
-------------------------------------------------------
Nowhere in the rules does it say that Giant's CAN'T fly.
Blacklotus
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Blacklotus »

you cant please everyone...gw can please less then most apparently. Bad scuplts and price increases. i like the surprise DE release for SoM however(surprise for me at least). The dragon is worth getting for all the groovy do-dads that its going to come with.
xFallenx
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by xFallenx »

It's true, you can't please everyone. But when a company starts to make the almighty $ more important then the product they flog, people will look for alternatives.

Overall I like the scale of the game, but find that there are better/cheaper miniatures to be had elsewhere... I'm happy with the rule set overall, which is the main reason I play, but the $100 dollar rulebook I'm not a huge fan of.

I'm not looking to find another game anytime soon, that being said, 8th marks a return to the game from 6th for me, so I am sure they have lost others that have no inclination to return.
Oct 2013-Current: 3-2-0
Tethlis
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Tethlis »

I'm surprised there haven't been any active comparisons to 40k's Apocalypse. Big spells, big terrain features sounds a lot like the big templates, big tanks craze that Apocalypse resulted in. Does this mean that every player rushed out to play Apocalypse, and now 3000+ point 40k is all anyone ever plays?

No, it means that people are able to enjoy a dramatic and epic game version which uses a lot of models, but it's not a replacement for the mainstream game.

I will probably look over the rules and maybe try them a few times for fun, but I don't expect this to become the new mainstream mode for play. I think this will be fun, that players with huge armies will be able to blow up their opponents with big spells, and everyone else will carry on with their business.
There is no escape from Chaos. It marks us all.