The Unit Killers of 8th edition

For discussion about all the lesser races of Warhammer. Talk about armies, tactics and lists to take on the Druchii here...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Saintofm
Malekith's Best Friend

The Unit Killers of 8th edition

Post by Saintofm »

What it says on the tin, what units could singlehandedly whip out a unit. on their own, could they wipe someone out?

For me, I'd have to say the War Hydra is on the list, espesialy with Shooty units. However you have to team them up with another unit to do some real damage.

Knights of Chaos: Baddasses worth their price.

Warspinx: It's just geared to killing units, with it's thunderstomp, replacing all of it's attacks for a large template attack, and a breath attack, plus the Tomb Guard riding it.

Dwarf Organ Guns/Empire helblaster: Both can turn a unit of fearless warriors into gooy bits in a single shooting round.
Who needs sanity? I have a Hydra
Red...
Generalissimo

Post by Red... »

Knights of Chaos: Baddasses worth their price.

Not in 8th ed they're not. Way too expensive, way too vulnerable to warmachines and magic. More importantly, their massive selling point used to be that they would typically wipe the entire enemy front rank and then win through masses of ACR. Now that steadfast gives stubborn and you get stepping up, they are no longer unit killers and their usefulness has gone down a lot.

Witch Elves would probably be my big nomination here. Striking with poison, hatred, three attacks each in the front rank and ITP while frenzied, these girls are hot to trot. That said, they are very vulnerable to missiles and magic (although ITP while frenzied means that they are at least not going to panic when shot at...)
"While all answers are replies, not all replies are answers. So answer the question."

Don't be a munchkin?

I am an Extraordinary Druchii Gentleman
Khel
Angel of Darkness

Post by Khel »

I'm not so sure about Grave Guard in the 8th Edition, but they sure as hell were something to worry about in 7th Ed.
Whoever got stuck into CC with this unit was going to go through hell to beat them. Undead, tough, not the best WS but I’ve certainly lost a few champions to those wight blades.

Black Orc’s get a mention because you couldn’t shoot them to death, they minced you in close combat and you usually had to devote entire magic phases to either make them run or thin them out.
Saldrimek Xenan - WS6 / S4 / T3 / D5 / I3

Equipment: Executioners Axe (Rune of Beastslaying - Heroic Killing Blow), 2 Scimitars (Rune of Speed - Always Strike First), Dagger, Rune Branded Leather Armour, Executioner Helm, Fine Set of Throwing Knives (x4)
Inventory: Amulet of Darkness, Poison Vials x7, Deadly Poison Vials x8
Mount: Dark Steed
Gold: 163
Skills: Ambidexterity, Frenzy, Two Weapon Fighting, Ride
Class: Khainite
Tmarichards
Noble

Post by Tmarichards »

Corsairs with Mindrazor :)
"he's got quite an arrogant british air about him that i used to think was really annoying but now it cracks me up.

"Tut, tut old lad! that's not how you play 'the Queen's' Warhammer!"
*takes sip of tea*"

Check out my Youtube bettle reports http://druchii.net/viewtopic.php?t=68253
Archon_matt
Cold One Knight

Post by Archon_matt »

tmarichards wrote:Corsairs with Mindrazor :)

WITCH ELVES with Mindrazor :P

I recently wiped out a 20-man unit of Chaos Warriors with a flank attack from WE buffed with Occam's. Oh, joy of joys, to wipe out those heavily armoured sons of b*tches with my skimpily-clad little darlings :P
I am a proud member of The League of Extraordinary Druchii Gentlemen
8th Edition
W/L/D
10/2/0

Sirenis Helbane (Group 35)
WS:4 S:4 T:2 D:4 I:4
Equipment: Heavy Armour, Helmet, Draich, Dagger (Combat).
Skills: Basic Heal
Dirty Mac
Assassin

Post by Dirty Mac »

Today, My BlackGuard took a combo charge from a unit of Phoenix Guard, and Dragon Princes. They killed 8 PG and 1 DP on first round, the PG broke from combat, and I killed the rest of the DP in the 2nd round of CC, he had 4 left, and i rolled 6 killing blows. I lost 1 Black Guard.
Rejoice and Revel in the Triumph of the Dark.

Silic
Noble

Post by Silic »

Warsphinx, absolutely.

I love my Helblaster (ya know, when it isn't trying to blow itself up).

I haven't faced one recently, but how are Skaven Abominations faring nowadays?
Ichiyo1821
Highborn

Post by Ichiyo1821 »

Hardest hitting killing units with no support whatsoever.

Hydra
Witchelves (horde)

Swordmasters of Hoeth

Bloodletters

Slaan level 4

Black Orcs (horde)

Bloodknights
Crypt Ghouls (horde)

Warp Lightning Canon (panic or multiple rounds assumption)
HPA

Mortar/Canon/Hellblaster gun (panic or multiple rounds assumption)

Marauders (for their points cost to damage ratio)
I' am tempted to add Chaos Knights but the cost ratio is a bit too high

Everything I've listed is considering their ideal sizes in a 200-2500 game. This ofcourse changes as the pointage goes up. Assisted however the most killy is ofcourse any unit with high ld and Mindrazor with as much attacks as you can muster at par with vortex spells (Pit of Shades against Dwarves or Lizards for example). If assisted you can see other units like Corsairs with Mindrazor/KB COB, Cold One Knights with Cauldron and or Hydra Banner, Chaos Knights etc etc.
8th Edition

W/D/L
86/1/5

New AB
W/D/L
32/1/0

9th Age
W/D/L

Vae Victis
Character kill count -182

"To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill."

Armies
Dark Elves
Dark Eldar
Death Korps of Kreig
Sulla
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Sulla »

s5 templates

3 attack/model elves with mindrazor

chaos warriors with frenzy and halberds

dwellers

purple sun

panic tests

These are the biggest 'unit killers' in my local area...
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

Soulstealer on a Withered unit anyone? ;) Wounding on 3+ with no armor saves on an entire unit is more than deadly.
7th edition army book:
Games Played: 213
Games Won: 114 (54%)
Games Drawn: 33 (15%)
Games Lost: 66 (31%)

8th Edition army book W/D/L:
Druchii: 36/4/16
L1qw1d
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by L1qw1d »

I like that Dal- but tooooo many Ward saving WoC in my area (well, the northern one, at least)
Oderint dum Metuant.
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

Then you can always Purple Sun on a Miasma'd unit ;) Even WoC will sweat if their I is reduced to 2.
7th edition army book:
Games Played: 213
Games Won: 114 (54%)
Games Drawn: 33 (15%)
Games Lost: 66 (31%)

8th Edition army book W/D/L:
Druchii: 36/4/16
van Awful
Highborn

Post by van Awful »

a Runed up grudgethrower!
Nec spe, nec metu

I am an Extraordinary Druchii Gentleman
Setomidor
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Setomidor »

A runner-runner up, Bretonnia Trebutchets. S5, 90 pts.
Taint
Dark Rider

Post by Taint »

Chaos Chosen vamped by Favour of the Godz + Warshrine/s
'Chosen-Star'
'Trust is the first casualty of war.' The words had barely parted his lips when he died upon his brothers sword.
Gnosis
Hard, but Fair

Post by Gnosis »

Minotaurs, especially after winning some rounds of combat, are a glass cannon beyond compare. With great weapons, you're looking at bucketloads of S7 attacks. Problem is their squishiness and relatively high points cost.
Count them:

Painted in 2013: 500
Painted in 2014: 600
Painted in 2015: 854
Bonesaww666
Corsair

Post by Bonesaww666 »

I know it isn't 1 unit but 2 Spynx's (the only way to run'em!) first round I would try stomping with the first if that fails you breath with the second, if the first stomp hits then stomp with the second aswell. You can wrack up a heinous amout of kills incredibly fast. I have used these two to obliterate Skaven on numerous occasions.
Lorddrittz
Beastmaster

Post by Lorddrittz »

Beastman Doombull Frenzied up.

White Lion Horde

Magic is the Key to success of combats these days
Dark Elf Battles

Win/Draw/Loss
10 : 1 : 4 7th Ed Codex
Saintofm
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Saintofm »

What about the current Trebuchet for brettonians? The center gets hit by S10 hit, and S5 to everything else. That's pretty much negating all armor for most units in the game, and the ones with heavy armor are well... severely hampered.
Who needs sanity? I have a Hydra
Nocturnal
Corsair

Post by Nocturnal »

I am terrified of Swordmasters of Hoeth, they can rip through anything that I try to throw at them(except for shooting). My unit of 20 BG annihilated a unit of 40 clanrats and a heavily kitted chieftien within 2 rounds
Rork
Lord of Khorne
Lord of Khorne

Post by Rork »

No one has mentioned Doomwheels yet? Brutal fun rolling around zapping everything in sight (and sometimes out of sight o_O).

Great for smashing into some of the new uber-monster units and messing them up (assuming you don't roll 1" short...).

"Rork.. a wonderful guy :)" - Linda Lobsta Defenda

+++ Team Mulligans +++
Omnichron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Omnichron »

Red... wrote:Witch Elves would probably be my big nomination here. Striking with poison, hatred, three attacks each in the front rank and ITP while frenzied, these girls are hot to trot. That said, they are very vulnerable to missiles and magic (although ITP while frenzied means that they are at least not going to panic when shot at...)

Agreed.

These girls can do very well on their own to take down anything unarmored (And with the sheer amount of attacks, even take down a lot of armored foes as well).

One weakness is of course that they are naked chicks, so they are quite voulnerable. However, with the correct use of harpies for cover and with a backup from both shadow and dark magic, you can limit the shots against them. Added with shadow, these girls will crush anything in their path if played correctly.

Their biggest weakness is frenzy though, meaning that they can be baited and need to overrun after a charge.
Personal quote: "It's better to do little damage and lose nothing than to do lots of damage and lose everything."
Final tournament score for 7th DE book in 8th edition - W/D/L: 25/5/10
Grimma
Executioner

Post by Grimma »

Ironguts... 'nuf said. Not many units dish out the pain like those bad boys. Add some gut magic buffs and they are just about untouchable.
UNSEEN LERKER MAGAZINE - It'll make you happier than a Corsair in a Bretonnian orphanage.