*NEW*Warhammer Fantasy(Total Wars)

For discussion about all the lesser races of Warhammer. Talk about armies, tactics and lists to take on the Druchii here...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Kristo
Noble

*NEW*Warhammer Fantasy(Total Wars)

Post by Kristo »

Now some of us have been playing the Total War mods for warhamer(that were actually much better than the actual game Namco launched Warhammer Mark of Chaos) but this is some great news it seems Total Wars Studios are planning on actualy developing a new Warhammer fantasy Battles game... enjoy!

http://uk.pc.gamespy.com/pc/warhammer-m ... 834p1.html
'And lo, he shall rule with a dark hand and his shadow shall touch uppon every land.'

Single combat I await
My shadow brings them fear
The spikes upon my chariot
Will grind them when they're near...
Drainial
Prophet of Tzeentch
Prophet of Tzeentch

Post by Drainial »

Allways up for a new game and if they can deliver anything close to the TotalWar series in quality it should be something special. Thanks for posting.
Moding a group of Druchii.net players is much like directing the musical 'Cats' using actual cats. Frustrating, difficult, chaotic but ultimatley satisfying and a great deal of fun.

Arch Deacon of the RPG forum
Gentleman of Moderation
Underway
Silver Khaine Winner

Post by Underway »

Yah, this should be really good IMHO opinion. Real Time Tactics of warhammer combined with the Turn Based Strategy of Total war. IT CAN'T go wrong. Can it??
Layne
Arnold Layne
Arnold Layne

Post by Layne »

Surely all you have to do is take MTW and paint it Warhammer and you have the game that is Rule.

Think they'll manage?
Layne
Global Moderator. Everything but the weather.

Caveat Numptor.

Karonath - WS6 / S4 / T4 / D5 / I3
Equipment: Bloodfeather, heavy armour, helm, Sea Dragon Cloak, rope x 2, month rations x 2
Inventory: longspear, 2 short swords, glaive, winter gear, shade cloak,
Mount: Dark Steed (Shiny), talisman of kurnous
Gold: 2294
Skills: Ambidexterity, Controlled Frenzy, Basic Ride, Drukh Kaganth
Class: Khainite
Kristo
Noble

Post by Kristo »

Layne wrote:Surely all you have to do is take MTW and paint it Warhammer and you have the game that is Rule.

Think they'll manage?

Just because it's the TW series and these folks have been doing this for ages otherwise I would be mistrusting. Since however I have yet to see any decent WHFB for PC appart from Dark Omen I still hope. Mark of Chaos was a total disapointment ghough shallow as it was I couldn't play it more than 5 hours. So I realy hope this one wroks, I'm positive this far.
'And lo, he shall rule with a dark hand and his shadow shall touch uppon every land.'

Single combat I await
Saintofm
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Saintofm »

kristo wrote:
Layne wrote:Surely all you have to do is take MTW and paint it Warhammer and you have the game that is Rule.

Think they'll manage?

Just because it's the TW series and these folks have been doing this for ages otherwise I would be mistrusting. Since however I have yet to see any decent WHFB for PC appart from Dark Omen I still hope. Mark of Chaos was a total disapointment ghough shallow as it was I couldn't play it more than 5 hours. So I realy hope this one wroks, I'm positive this far.

Agreed. They have done everything from medival to Rome, to Japan's bloody history to the American revolution. They also do extensive research as well as well as add in their own flair (such as making a for lack of a better term, ninja unit for Rome Total War).

Wonder how they will do the magic system?

And what armies?

The three I can see for sure are:
Empire
Warriors of Chaos.
Orcs and Gobblins.

I can also see Vampire Counts, Brettonia, and Beastmen.

Maybe the elves can get in on the action as well.
Who needs sanity? I have a Hydra
Drainial
Prophet of Tzeentch
Prophet of Tzeentch

Post by Drainial »

Well they have never shied away from multiple factions in the past, though admittedly allot of them used basicly the same units. I wouldn't be surprised to see HE and DE both with more or less the same things in different clothes.
Moding a group of Druchii.net players is much like directing the musical 'Cats' using actual cats. Frustrating, difficult, chaotic but ultimatley satisfying and a great deal of fun.

Arch Deacon of the RPG forum
Gentleman of Moderation
Underway
Silver Khaine Winner

Post by Underway »

Creative Assembly is the best at what they do. They will hopefully apply that same ethic towards whatever warhammer games they make. Assuming its a Total Warhammer game then I wouldn't be suprised if it started as just empire, dwarves, orcs, bretts and chaos. Then expansions of a DE invasion of ulthuan (ala Medieval TW expansions of the spanish in the new world etc...) or something like that.

With the way they focus on doing things right, getting different buildings, warmachines, siege towers, sounds, voices, skins, troops and everything for the different races adds a whole extra layer of complexity to the game. Currently in TW many things look the same as differing sides have similar or the same troops (aka both sides have spearmen, with different colour livery). Now one side has spearmen and the other has goblins with spears. Much more complicated. And then the variety of units is crazy! How does one capture a goblin fanatic, magic, fliers, cold one knights, flame cannons, screaming skulls, casket of souls, giants etc.... It's more than just skins...
Kristo
Noble

Post by Kristo »

They have done decen't though in representing different kinds of phalanx units in Rome TW for example or different kinds of heavy cavalry for medieval 2 especially. I am confident. I think magic can be incorporated just as the genarals abilities to rally troops are right now so if one has a spellcaster in the army then on the battlefield view the extra abilities should become available as long as the spellcaster leaves.

I realy hope it won't be only empire and neighbours at the begining...

Single combat I await
Underway
Silver Khaine Winner

Post by Underway »

I think whatever it is it will be more "character" driven than the TW series, with your charcter buffs, magic itesm and the like and the fighting ability of warlords and mages having a greater effect.

I think if they go at it similarly to Warmaster then they can't be too far wrong. The warmaster game is excellent and very balanced. Characters don't actually fight IIRC but they make their units much stronger. Monsters have unique abilities as well.
Layne
Arnold Layne
Arnold Layne

Post by Layne »

I don't know that much about game cbuilding but I would expect a different unit skin would be a different unit skin whether it's a change from blue spearman to red spearman, or horse to cold one. I expect you'd need roughly the same amount of graphics files for Total Warhammer but it would simply take more work to create them all as one couldn't copy-paste as much detail from one file to another. But it's true as mentioned above that flyers add some difficulties.

I would expect the operational difference would be more in things like tech-tree type files, and scenery graphics. Like for instance, whereas in MTW2 all cities or fortresses look pretty much alike, you just couldn't have a Dark Elf fortress resembling an orc camp, or even Altdorf. Which reminds me, I pray to Khaine for -

a) this game to exist

b) that it will start just after Blackfire Pass and go on from there

c) that about 3000 years down the timeline the Dark Elves will be able to build Black Arks.
Layne
Global Moderator. Everything but the weather.

Caveat Numptor.

Karonath - WS6 / S4 / T4 / D5 / I3
Equipment: Bloodfeather, heavy armour, helm, Sea Dragon Cloak, rope x 2, month rations x 2
Inventory: longspear, 2 short swords, glaive, winter gear, shade cloak,
Mount: Dark Steed (Shiny), talisman of kurnous
Gold: 2294
Skills: Ambidexterity, Controlled Frenzy, Basic Ride, Drukh Kaganth
Class: Khainite
Noble korhedron
Empire General

Re: *NEW*Warhammer Fantasy(Total Wars)

Post by Noble korhedron »

The only thing about the Total War series I don't like right now is that the change so the engine really confused me. I have a very hard time earning more money in Shogun 2! :(
Regards,

NK.

http://ulthuan.net/forum
http://warhammer.org.uk/phpBB/index.php
http://warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php
http://www.bartertown.com/trading/index.php

Give me a sense of humor Lord. Give me the grace to see a joke.
To get some humor out of life and pass it on to other folk.
T.D.
Killed by Khorne
Killed by Khorne
Location: Hinterlands of Khuresh; The Lost City of the Angels

Post by T.D. »

BOOM!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7i4d3ignBNQ

In Total War: WARHAMMER you’ll have four races to choose from, Greenskins, The Empire, Dwarfs and Vampire Counts. Each race has a legendary lord character , who is the leader of a faction within your chosen race.

1st in a Trilogy of games with many expansion packs planned.
OldHammer Advanced Ruleset
- Adding Tactical Depth to Your Favourite Tabletop Wargame
Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Post by Amboadine »

Nice trailer :)