Wood Elf - Forest Spirit army.

For discussion about all the lesser races of Warhammer. Talk about armies, tactics and lists to take on the Druchii here...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Cold73
Highborn

Wood Elf - Forest Spirit army.

Post by Cold73 »

It would seem I always come back to you my fellow Druchii for some theory crafting.

I've started dabling in a new army....I just needed something to paint...and always loved the look of the Treeman...so Wood Elves.

Now I've tried to start a topic on the Wood Elf forum about the Forest Spirits...
But the only thing you get there is that Shooting/Avoidance list are the only way to play...and that Dryads and Treekin are totally worthless.

And the only reasons really given is that Dryads with S3 and Treekin with S4 are just plain weak.
Since I cannt get any usefull help from them...and if i wanted to play a shooting army I'd play 40K
I'm looking to create a nice solid list using the melee options of the WE, ofcourse combined with some shooting.

Telling me Dryads and Treekin are weak is not going to cut it...they are Toughness 4 and 5 respectively...with a 6++ ward to boot.

So help me my fellow Druchii...how can we make this army work.
Help me to show this tree hugging hippies how true Druchii would play their army.
[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
T.D.
Killed by Khorne
Killed by Khorne
Location: Hinterlands of Khuresh; The Lost City of the Angels

Re: Wood Elf - Forest Spirit army.

Post by T.D. »

I think there is a lot of potential in Treekin. A horde of those b*ggers would be hard to stop.

Dryads lack muso's which is a pain, but make good chaff, and can be boosted by magic. Beasts and Life combine well with Forest Spirits, and they have access through Dryad characters and Ancients.

Treemen are solid (pun).

Durthu is a potential freight train.

Personally, I think a mix of Wood Elf and Forest Spirits options would be better than a pure Forest Spirits list, so I'd do some playtesting before settling on an army ...unless you are just in it for the modelling and painting :)
OldHammer Advanced Ruleset
- Adding Tactical Depth to Your Favourite Tabletop Wargame
Dyvim tvar
Lord of the Dragon Caves
Lord of the Dragon Caves

Post by Dyvim tvar »

Treekin are fine and have plenty of potential.

But Dryads are probably overpriced. They are actually very similar to Corsairs in terms of both damage output and durability and are priced the same.
Truly These are the End Times ...
Khaleth Blackheart
Would-be Seerlord or Quack doctor

Post by Khaleth Blackheart »

A horde of dryads could be interesting, especially with a few branch wraiths in to cast life magic and keep them going.
The only thing I don't like about the treekin, are the models :p
But there tough and have a stomp attack and are pretty awesome when boosted with beast magic. A big anvil unit of treekin and then flank charges from treemen and wild riders would wreck most units :) especially if you run dark magic and get a word of pain off :twisted:
Searinox Nagharha
Aspiring Brush Master

Post by Searinox Nagharha »

sounds very promising :D I would rly like to follow you as you embark on this quest for a Forest Spirit army.
It would be the only way i would field a WE army myself, as doing it the 'traditional' way would basicly end up playing the same way my army does now :P
PLOG - The House of Corvus

Group 41- Name: Searinox Nagharha - Shade
WS:5 S:3 T:3 D:4 I:4
Equipment: Long sword; Falchion (family heirloom), Very Good Sabre, Short sword, Dagger, Throwing Dagger (4) SeaDragon Cloak, Chain
Inventory: 30 gold (214 still to be paid), Silver Bracelet, several flagons: 1x Strength potion, 3x Courage potion, 3x Healing Potion.
Skills: Two Weapon Fighting, Acrobatics, Basic Stealth
gerryb56
Trainee Warrior

Post by gerryb56 »

The 2 big problems are strong units charging Treemen/ Treekin with the flaming banner and DoC/Dwarf flaming cannons
Cold73
Highborn

Post by Cold73 »

Cannons...and flaming banners are indeed a problem...

I know i will not get around not using any archers..but one of of 10 with Hagbane...and a unit of Waywatchers to support my mostly melee unit is fine by me.

These units will go after Warmachines.
And the flaming banner... if they have one of those it becomes more of a game to me.... Trying to figure out which unit has that before moving in to fight it.
This is actually kind of fun... For example when playing against High Elves...I always expect the Banner of the World Dragon. I always use easy to cast magic to try and figure out what unit....So I know which unit to avoid (same goes double when i;m actually using my Deamons to play against High Elves)
[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]