Nagash

For discussion about all the lesser races of Warhammer. Talk about armies, tactics and lists to take on the Druchii here...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

CitizenKhaine
Beastmaster

Re: Nagash

Post by CitizenKhaine »

I would love to see a separate rule book and a fluff book. the current all in one is big enough to bludgeon a troll with, but is a biatch to handle while gaming.
Just a comment on the Undead magic cards, my local shop has some, but I choose not to get them as I don't think I will ever cast them coz I have no undead to place on the table. That said, the new Mortarchs look really nice, favourite being Neferata, very cool!
You're one microscopic cog in his catastrophic plan - Designed and directed by his red right hand - Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds (channeling Khaine)

Visit the Citizens of Khaine http://www.druchii.net/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=75270
direweasel
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by direweasel »

T.D. wrote:@ Direweasel

Which of us will be taking the calls from GW's lawyers? :mrgreen: !lol!

I already called my duty; I'm just here to be the spelling and grammar nazi. Legal issues are not my department.

:roll:
Chinese Relativity Axiom: No matter how glorious your triumphs, nor how miserable your failures, there will always be at least one billion people in China who don't give a damn.

Apocalypse Drow! Plog: http://druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=75360
Haagrum
PhD in Dark Magic

Post by Haagrum »

direweasel wrote:
T.D. wrote:@ Direweasel

Which of us will be taking the calls from GW's lawyers? :mrgreen: !lol!

I already called my duty; I'm just here to be the spelling and grammar nazi. Legal issues are not my department.

:roll:

Meh, at a glance, it sounds like it's just a matter of getting far enough away from their IP to not be breaching copyright... or, T.D., you could just keep/start playing 8th ed. :)

I'd volunteer, but my employment contract and practising certificate conditions are fairly tight when it comes to outside unsupervised legal work in a field of law I know nothing about. :shock:
"The wrath of a good man is not to be feared. They have too many rules."

"Good men don't need rules. Today is not a good time to find out why I have so many."
Gidean
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Gidean »

T.D. wrote:
Gidean wrote:Well the High Elf lover in me is pissed that Tyrion had to lose his little girl to bring this bastard back.

This sounds like a confession Gidean.

Let it all out !lol! It's the End Times after all.

The Sword of Khaine is soon to be pulled from its millenial resting place, and you might be able to evade our Assassins in the havoc that follows....

LOL! Yes, I have read all of Bill King's Tyrion and Teclis novels and my first official army was High Elves back in 1992. My regular Opponent was a Chaos player (back then warriors, demons and beastmen were mixed). As far as that sword coming for me....you can take my head if the rumor of 9th edition turning into a skirmish game (fantasy 40K) is true. I say this with no hubris. If fantasy just becomes another type of 40K then I have no interest in playing it anymore. :|
T.D.
Killed by Khorne
Killed by Khorne
Location: Hinterlands of Khuresh; The Lost City of the Angels

Post by T.D. »

Gidean wrote:LOL! Yes, I have read all of Bill King's Tyrion and Teclis novels and my first official army was High Elves back in 1992.

Bill King is a friend of a friend (honest). Haven't read the trilogy but it's on my too-read list.

Gidean wrote:My regular Opponent was a Chaos player (back then warriors, demons and beastmen were mixed).

For my sins (or because of them?) I started off with 40K Slaanesh Chaos in 1991. My first one to one game of WFB (as opposed to the multi-player games me and my mates used to play) was a tabling by the 1992 fresh Tyrion and Teclis led High Elves. I've hated those ******** for a long time!

Gidean wrote:...you can take my head if the rumor of 9th edition turning into a skirmish game (fantasy 40K) is true. I say this with no hubris. If fantasy just becomes another type of 40K then I have no interest in playing it anymore. :|

My sentiments as well! Hence T.D.&DireweaselHammer™©*

*all legal liabilities care of Druchii.net**

**runs out door before the moderating team hit me with something :P
OldHammer Advanced Ruleset
- Adding Tactical Depth to Your Favourite Tabletop Wargame
Gidean
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Gidean »

T.D. wrote:
For my sins (or because of them?) I started off with 40K Slaanesh Chaos in 1991. My first one to one game of WFB (as opposed to the multi-player games me and my mates used to play) was a tabling by the 1992 fresh Tyrion and Teclis led High Elves. I've hated those ******** for a long time!

Oh well to be honest...I never play with either character. Not even when Teclis was the ultimate badass. But I do love their stories and the romance of Tyrion and the Everqueen is a good one. That they lost their baby girl to bring back Nagash fills me with NERD Rage! !mad! Maybe Mr. King will write a story where Tyrion goes all Liam Neeson on Nagash and his 9 lords. :lol: I'm sure you can find the appropriate youtube clip that I am thinking of.
Haagrum
PhD in Dark Magic

Post by Haagrum »

I thought it was the Phoenix King's daughter, not Tyrion and the Everqueen's.

If nothing else, it gives the Asur a reason to get involved (other than the standard Big Damn Heroes motivation or because the Dark Elves are invading). They actually have something to fight *for*, instead of just doing it because they're the goodies. Sea Lord Aislinn in the Storm of Chaos felt like an afterthought to keep everyone involved. With Nagash, for the High Elves, it's deeply personal - perhaps we'll even see Tyrion draw the Sword of Khaine (although I think Tullaris is a better candidate to do so, and to take several levels of badass in the process).

...it also means the forces of Ulthuan are divided. :twisted:

"Good men don't need rules. Today is not a good time to find out why I have so many."
Gidean
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Gidean »

Haagrum wrote:I thought it was the Phoenix King's daughter, not Tyrion and the Everqueen's.

If nothing else, it gives the Asur a reason to get involved (other than the standard Big Damn Heroes motivation or because the Dark Elves are invading). They actually have something to fight *for*, instead of just doing it because they're the goodies. Sea Lord Aislinn in the Storm of Chaos felt like an afterthought to keep everyone involved. With Nagash, for the High Elves, it's deeply personal - perhaps we'll even see Tyrion draw the Sword of Khaine (although I think Tullaris is a better candidate to do so, and to take several levels of badass in the process).

...it also means the forces of Ulthuan are divided. :twisted:

Someone posted this on the Vampire Counts forum:

From Bram over at warseer

Nagash is reborn into the body of Volkmar. Morgiana le Fay is killed in the process, she's the daughter of the Lady of the Lake, one of the Elves lesser gods - Ladrielle. Nagash's plan wsa to free Shysh from the Vortex and bind it to himself to become an avatar of death, strong enough to challange the Chaos Gods themselves.

Another important sacrifice is Aliathra, supposedly daughter to Finubar and Alarielle. Nagash needs devine blood (Volkmar having that of Sigmar) However, she's not Finubar's daughter, but Tyrions. Therefor Nagash cannot draw upon the strength of Assuryan, but instead inherits the curse of Aenarion. It turns out that Teclis has willingly sacrificed Aliathra to rebirth Nagash into the World to fight Chaos. He's conspireing with someone calling him nephew to destabilize the Vortex.

Elthrarion is slain by Arkhan, along with Bellanaer of Hoeth. The Elven Princess Eldyra is indeed turned into a vampire.

So looks like GW is messing with all the good guys. But yes, she was the secret daughter of Tyrion and Allarielle. Having a lot of trouble believing the Teclis part. This fills me with so much NERD rage. I hate it! :badh:
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

Teclis part is done perfect. He was always the pragmatic asshole not afraid to explore the darkness.
7th edition army book:
Games Played: 213
Games Won: 114 (54%)
Games Drawn: 33 (15%)
Games Lost: 66 (31%)

8th Edition army book W/D/L:
Druchii: 36/4/16
Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Post by Amboadine »

Just picked up my copy. Very happy with the size of the books for the cost. 290 pages of fluff and 95 pages of rules.
Will have a nice day or so of reading.
Some great new models and Monstrous Infantry units for the undead with Hover special rule.
Lore of undeath is pretty impressive.
Haagrum
PhD in Dark Magic

Post by Haagrum »

I'm two chapters in, and think it's pretty well-crafted so far. Curious to see what happens in the Druchii part of the story.

That said, who else but Malekith might call Teclis "nephew" while mocking and threatening him?

Dalamar wrote:Teclis part is done perfect. He was always the pragmatic asshole not afraid to explore the darkness.

In the story, it came across to me as Teclis believing that some must be sacrificed if all are to be saved, and that his actions will buy time enough to organise resistance to Chaos.

Also, very happy with the new Hand of Dust. It's just a bit awesome when used by a Sorceress.

Cold73
Highborn

Post by Cold73 »

I have not ordered my copy yet....
I can understand you enjoy the fluff...but what do you think about the rules themselves?
[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

Picked my spell cards up today from my LFGS.
The spells are... well, they have potential, they are all really short ranged (12" or less) but having access to a banshee scream as a spell is not a bad idea, and having Hand of Dust on an ASF character is also nice.

Lowest level signature is enough to summon khemri skeletons and create roadblocks (unless Undead Legions points values were changed), but 1 unit per wizard per turn is not going to break the game.

Overall I wouldn't take the lore of undeath on a level 4 unless playing Undead Legions army. But it can be useful on a support character and I am going to give it some testing.

Can anyone with the rules part of the nagash set send me a PM?
7th edition army book:

Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Post by Amboadine »

Cold73 wrote:I have not ordered my copy yet....
I can understand you enjoy the fluff...but what do you think about the rules themselves?

Still reading the fluff, just had a cursory look at the rules so far. Most is scenario based rather than game changing, underground fighting including random squig, troll and monster, attacks. Rules for undead legions change the crumble rule for the general dying. No longer an issue.

50% lords , 50% hero allowance, rest is the same on army list selection.

Special characters are okay by the look of it, with the return ofNagash plus Crom the Conquer, Valten(both seem the same as in Storm of Chaos but I am not at home to double check), Arkhan the Black on a monster, Krell, Mannfred von Carstein on a monster, Vlad von Carstein, Nefarata on monster.

Two new hovering MI units for Vamp counts based on effectively fallen angels.

Doesn't seem to be anything game breaking at first glance.
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

The big issue is whether the 50% lords and heroes is written in army selection part of the scenarios... or it's an overall "This is how you play Warhammer now"
7th edition army book:

Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Post by Amboadine »

Here it says very specifically ' this section updates the rules for how to pick an army' 'All armies use these rules'

Looking through I can't see anything to say this is just for this book. I would guess each tournament will have to specify usage until 9th ed
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

Hmm. I just don't see many events allowing these rules. Shame, I'd love to see people waste points on more characters.
7th edition army book:

Haagrum
PhD in Dark Magic

Post by Haagrum »

At the bottom of page 4 of Book 2, it states that "you should think of [this book] as a toolbox, from which you can pick and choose what to use in any games of Warhammer that you play."

The new rules are optional, not mandatory changes to the way WFB is played. It's up to the players and the TO, IMHO.

Also, in relation to the lore book - did George R. R. Martin start writing for GW? The body count of special characters and lore-important people in the first three chapters is nuts!

Colinsherlow
Trainee Warrior

Post by Colinsherlow »

Is the undead legion/new magic lore/characters just for running a campaign/fun games, or can you officially use them?

I'd love to make an old school undead army. Vampires/chariots/mummies etc... sweet!

There are only 3 armies in fantasy that I really love. Dark elves are #1. then Skaven and Undead.
Haagrum
PhD in Dark Magic

Post by Haagrum »

Colinsherlow wrote:Is the undead legion/new magic lore/characters just for running a campaign/fun games, or can you officially use them?

You can use them if you want to. You just have to find someone willing to play using those rules.

As for tournaments, et cetera, it's up to the organisers. If you wanted to play Undead Legion or use the Lore of Undeath at a tournament, ask if it'll be tournament-legal.

Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

The difference is that none of it requires opponent's agreement. Yes, you get to use the parts you like, but your opponent can use the parts that you don't like.

Of course TOs will do whatever they please.
7th edition army book:

archangel1
Slave on the Altar

Post by archangel1 »

GW seem to be using the End Times as an opportunity to reboot the Warhammer world and this includes removing many of the old special characters.
This may have been said before, but doesn't Nagash fulfil all the requirements in that prophecy describing the nemesis of Malekith- noble birth, male, steeped in magic? Just a thought. Ariel is said to be dying, the Oak of Ages is possibly dead ie no Orion, Finubar is locked in his rooms, some suggest that he is also dead and the twins might be going to have a major fall out when Tyrion discovers what Teclis has been up to with his daughter. Belaennor and Eltharion are already dead, while Tyrions ex-squire (can't remember her name) is now an elven vamp! It looks as though there is a major clear out of elven aristocracy and the Druchii must be in line for the same treatment at some point.
Gidean
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Gidean »

Haagrum wrote:At the bottom of page 4 of Book 2, it states that "you should think of [this book] as a toolbox, from which you can pick and choose what to use in any games of Warhammer that you play."

The new rules are optional, not mandatory changes to the way WFB is played. It's up to the players and the TO, IMHO.

Also, in relation to the lore book - did George R. R. Martin start writing for GW? The body count of special characters and lore-important people in the first three chapters is nuts!

Good. I can rest assured that I won't need the books or the spell cards now if these are 'Optional' rules. My mates won't go for them nor will our tournaments. I think I got to attend just ONE Tournament that allowed Storm of Chaos armies back in it's time.

As to George....it could be argued that GW employed Terry Goodkind. I suggest any who read his work STOP at Confessor. I wish I had. And as for this new Games Workshop book and it's lore changing...if you don't read it, it never happened. Right? :P
[llct]kain
Assassin

Post by [llct]kain »

Sad that it is this form of "optional" - and that you need to spend 60 bucks to get an optional rule amendment. Hey I have payed my rulebook (at too high costs) and my expensive armybook and now GW realy wants to get more money for some wired stuff ... In my opinion either they charge me over the top on minis or on rules to play with them.
I can remember how the boardgame Siedler was messed when you had the choice to lay Siedler, Siedler with Ships, Siedler with Knight or with both. When we met for playing verybody had aonther idea what to expect from the game...most were in some way disappointed as you could only agree to one.
Happy to found a new home & love after the Old World was f***** up by GW: http://the-ninth-age.com/
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

It's optional in a sense that you don't have to use it.
But you have nothing to stop your opponent from using it aside from "I'm not playing you because of X"

Just like special characters.
7th edition army book: