Thinking about Ogre Kingdoms

For discussion about all the lesser races of Warhammer. Talk about armies, tactics and lists to take on the Druchii here...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Creedence
Dark Rider

Thinking about Ogre Kingdoms

Post by Creedence »

I have been thinking about picking up an ogre kingdoms army but have been having some serious issues drawing up a list to get the army started. I have check out the ogre strong hold link from the linked other races forums but am a little thrown off by the lists I see.

Anyone have some basics they can throw at my to mull over?
Lord Admiral, Creedence Vendral, Commander of the Black Arc Murderous Pride.
Curse_Bearer
Shade

Re: Thinking about Ogre Kingdoms

Post by Curse_Bearer »

Greetings!

I am just coming off of my Ogres in favor of Dark Elves, allow me to help :P The Ogre Kingdom Battalion is an excellent place to start, buying two of those will jump start you into 2k+ pt range immediately! You really, really, really, want some single sabretusks for chaff. I use old khorne hounds for mine, but the Space Wolf box of puppies make for an excellent substitution as well if you don't like the standard sabre kitties.

Generally at lower points, a Firebelly is an amazing general, I usually do a scroll and ruby ring for elf burning good fun. ;) What direction would you want your army to take? Do you have a theme in mind, or any ideas about tactics you're considering?
Creedence
Dark Rider

Post by Creedence »

I am use to having large ranks and know you cannot do that with ogres. Was thinking about large units of gnoblars for rank bonus with trappers as they are so cheap.

I love the buff spells from the lore of the great maw so have been thinking about slaughter master.

The other thing I keep going back to is a unit of 3 or so mournfang cavalry. I just cannot piece together a list I can work with as I am looking for things I think I need and don't understand 6 or 8 strong units.
Helle
Executioner

Post by Helle »

I am playing Ogres myself and many of my lists consist of a core like this:

Slaughtermaster
Bruiser, BSB
Butcher/Firebelly

8-10 Ogres
8-10 Ironguts

6 Maneaters / 4 Mournfangs / 4 Leadbelcher
3x1 Sabretusk

Ironblaster

As Curse_Bearer already mentioned, getting 2 battalion boxes is an excellent way to start! That way you have enough core troops and you can build up to 8 Ironguts per box if you do not like the normal Ogres. Get some greenstuff aswell and start creating characters yourself, esp. the Butcher can be done without much effort and great results. The battalion comes with lots of Gnoblars for base decoration aswell, so you just need to get your hands on some 20 mm bases for a unit. I only played few games with Gnoblars, but I do not like them and don't think they are needed. You are right that Ogres do not have ranks, but they do not need it.

The first row of your units will often consist of 2 character models + unit champion or even 3 characters. As your characters are quite tanky, your opponent will struggle to deal lots of dmg to you while you will win by atrittion. With M6 you also have good chances of getting the charge so there is impact hits aswell.

MVP of the book definitly are lone Sabretusks as dirt cheap redirectors and the Ironblaster. I would recomment getting both early on aswell.
Creedence
Dark Rider

Post by Creedence »

Working on a list now and want to be sure on the rules for unit standard bearers. To confirm even in ogre units the standard bearer cannot be targeted specifically right?
Helle
Executioner

Post by Helle »

There is no special rules to Ogre command, only rulebook applies. So they cannot be targeted specifically.
Creedence
Dark Rider

Post by Creedence »

Here is what I cam up with.

Slaughter master, lvl 4, XHW, Talisman of preservation, Hell heart
Bruiser, BSB, Ogre pistol, Armour of Destiny

8 Ogres, Ironfist, S/M/C Lookout Gnoblar - BSB goes here
8 Ironguts, S/M/C lookout gnoblar, standard of disipline, SM goes here\\
4 Leadbelchers
1 sabretusk
1 sabretusk
1 sabretusk
4 mournfang Cavalry, HA, Iron Fist, S, Dragonhide Banner
Ironblaster

1998 points
Last edited by Creedence on Sun Oct 12, 2014 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Helle
Executioner

Post by Helle »

Definitly fine for a start. I would probably get rid of the Ogre pistol and try to dive both characters a great weapon. You will be striking last very often anyways. You could also think about swapping the Talisman of preservation and Armour of Destiny. Ogre mages can wear armour, as they have the option to take an Ironfist (clearly stated in the faq, was not intended though). That way both your characters wear heavy armour.

Another thought is trying to squeeze in a Firebelly aswell. Lore of Fire is great to complement the Maw, as there barely are any damaging spells but only buffs/hexes.
Curse_Bearer
Shade

Post by Curse_Bearer »

The list looks great! One tweak I would highly suggest is getting the Mournfang that heavy armour. Combined with the IFs and the mourn's tough hide, having a 2+ armour save is the best Ogres can get! Mix in the Dragonhide banner and suddenly when any S3 enemies swing at them (elves :o_O:) you get a 2+ re-rollable save. Only on the charge though, but with M8 you should be doing that easy.
Watchmaster
Lost in the Chaos Wastes

Post by Watchmaster »

Off to a great start there. Here's my 2 cents, for what it's worth.

+1 on the heavy armor for mournfang, even at the expense of the Dragonhide. They draw a lot of missile fire, and all it takes is one of them going down to force a panic test. I take the gleaming pennant on mine, as they operate outside of my general/bsb range most of the time.

I only take two sabertusks myself. With three, it starts getting hard to keep them away from the other units at 2K points and above. They're prone to causing panic when they die or flee through your ogres. I use some 3-ogre squads as re-directors though, so I have plenty of other chaff.

Hellheart can be devastating. It can also do absolutely nothing and waste 50 points. The times it does go off like an atom bomb, it has a way of really upsetting your opponent, which may not matter if you play in a competitive environment/don't care. The first time you kill a Tomb King Hierophant with it, you'll see what I mean. I take a scroll instead. It works reliably, it's cheaper, and no one can cry foul.

Down the road, think about getting a monster kit. Both versions are great models and really fun to use; maybe not pro-circuit competitive, but so what. The stonehorn smashes things like nothing else and has a built in resistance to war machines, and the thundertusk is an interesting support unit with lots of shooting and the ASL aura. Just something to consider when you expand your force.

Let us know how it goes!
Creedence
Dark Rider

Post by Creedence »

Opps. I forgot to include that I gave the Mournfang ironfists and HA. I totally see the effectiveness of that. When I get home I will work on the list and see about removing one of the sable tusks and switching to great weapons for the characters.
Creedence
Dark Rider

Post by Creedence »

Reworked the list a bit.

Slaughter master, lvl 4, GW, Talisman of preservation, Hell heart
Bruiser, BSB, GW, Armour of Destiny

8 Ogres, Ironfist, S/M/C Lookout Gnoblar - BSB goes here
8 Ironguts, S/M/C lookout gnoblar, standard of disipline - SM goes here
4 Leadbelchers
1 sabretusk
1 sabretusk
1 sabretusk
4 mournfang Cavalry, HA, Iron Fist, S/M, Dragonhide Banner
Ironblaster