Allowing opponent to bring 6th ed Chaos list vs 8th ed DE

For discussion about all the lesser races of Warhammer. Talk about armies, tactics and lists to take on the Druchii here...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

flatworldsedge
Chosen of Khaine

Allowing opponent to bring 6th ed Chaos list vs 8th ed DE

Post by flatworldsedge »

Hey all - hope you're having an awesome end to the week!

So my regular opponent, after a couple of sound beatings using just Beastmen has said he'd like to bring a full Warrior/Daemon/Beast list for our next battle. He has the old "Hordes of Chaos" plus "Beasts of Chaos" army books from back in 6th edition.

If he built a list, taking "modern" spell choices, from that to take on my 8th ed Khaine list, can any one see any major issues or clashes in rules?
Clockwork
Highborn

Re: Allowing opponent to bring 6th ed Chaos list vs 8th ed D

Post by Clockwork »

Why wouldn't he just use the 8th edition books with Legions of Chaos?
flatworldsedge
Chosen of Khaine

Post by flatworldsedge »

He doesn't own the books and is averse to spending money. (Which I kind of sympathise with!).
Red...
Generalissimo

Post by Red... »

As it's just a friendly game, why not? It sounds fun to me and if you lose, you can always claim that there was a power balance distortion that caused it, not poor generalship ;)

There may be a few minor rules issues - just try to find the closest fit to the current rules set when there is and 4+ it when in doubt.
"While all answers are replies, not all replies are answers. So answer the question."

Don't be a munchkin?

I am an Extraordinary Druchii Gentleman
flatworldsedge
Chosen of Khaine

Post by flatworldsedge »

Thanks - good points. Think we'll give it a whirl then. As you say, there's a neat excuse to wave around if my illustrious two game winning streak goes off the rails.
Thraundil
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Thraundil »

flatworldsedge wrote:Thanks - good points. Think we'll give it a whirl then. As you say, there's a neat excuse to wave around if my illustrious two game winning streak goes off the rails.

May I make a suggestion? Beat the living hell outta him. Then claim the 6th ed chaos is overpowered, thus making your victory count as two for a neat little 4 game winning streak.
Name: Ladry (female)
Class: Mage (Pyromancer)
Equipment: Staff, longsword, dagger, 20 gold, insignia ring.
Skills: Power of Aqshy (2), defensive figthing
WS4, S2, T3, D4, I6.
flatworldsedge
Chosen of Khaine

Post by flatworldsedge »

Thanks Thraundil - that is in fact a far superior alternative - nice work. Lol.
marcopollo
Assassin

Post by marcopollo »

Watch out for the beast deathstar. It skirmishes and can roll up the flank very easily.
flatworldsedge
Chosen of Khaine

Post by flatworldsedge »

Thanks for the warning!

Well - we've agreed for 3,000 points. I'll be using the ET Tyrion list, he'll be using 6th Ed Legion of Chaos. We'll use 8th Ed rules, converting/agreeing "obvious" special rule parallels once he submits a list on the day. It'll certainly be the end of March before we play though, so don't hold your breath - if you were - I suspect many, quite fairly, weren't! Either way I'll be doing a batrep afterwards - maybe some tabletop pictures too, just so you can see how pathetic 6,000 points of cut up cereal boxes looks. (Though I should have half painted COK's and mostly painted Shades on the table then too).
Red...
Generalissimo

Post by Red... »

It should be a lot of fun. You will come across some amusing moments, I'm sure. We ran an old 5th edition campaign pack during 7th ed, some years ago. The pack included a special assassin lord, who had special stats, including no ASF (I guess it didn't really exist at the time of the campaign pack) and a 6+ armour save. Ouch! :)
"While all answers are replies, not all replies are answers. So answer the question."

Don't be a munchkin?

I am an Extraordinary Druchii Gentleman