A Beastly Situation

For discussion about all the lesser races of Warhammer. Talk about armies, tactics and lists to take on the Druchii here...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Darkprincess
Chosen Babe of Slaanesh

A Beastly Situation

Post by Darkprincess »

Have you ever watched one of those old sci-fi movies where some guy goes to sleep in the present day and wakes up some time in the future where absolutely everything is different and nothing works the way it used to?

You have?

Oh good - then you'll fully understand how I'm feeling these days, having been absent from this fascinating hobby for a few years.

I've been rekindling my interest in WFB in recent weeks and I'm feeling a like a woman out of time... One interesting situation arose only this morning when I attempted to locate my old half-assembled Slaaneshi Beastmen army, with a view to dusting them down and maybe trying to get a bit of new paint on them. Not a problem in of itself, but that set me wondering how much things have changed for these guys in the intervening time, especially in respect of 9th Age rules.

So while I assembled this old force of 24 Gors, 13 Ungors, 5 Centigors and 12 Slaangors (not to mention a few characters and other miscellaneous bits and pieces), I thought it might be a good idea to read up on the current rules for them.

Well that was a bit of a mistake :(

I must admit that I'm not entirely sure that I like what I've found. Leaving aside for a moment that we're going to need a new name for The Deity Formerly Known As Slaanesh, I could find no hint in the 9th Age Beast Herds book of any association with Chaos, much less the ability to take the Mark of <insert new name for god of Sex, Drugs & Rock'n'roll>

And I'm like WTF?

So no longer do the Gors and Ungors (not to mention the Slaangors - do we have to call them "Yemagors" now? Or Lustgors (actually that has a nice ring to it) or something else entirely?) take the Mark of Slaanesh and become Immune to Psychology? Is Psychology still even a thing these days? Am I an ageing old luddite who can't find her way around this new world? Do I have to hunt down Gav and give him a good slap for ruining everything with his crappy fluff (OK I guess I'll need to go to the back of a very long queue for that one). Do I have to write my own gaming system now to fix all his bloody nonsense?

Seriously though, are 9th Age Beastmen even connected with Chaos in any way?

And if not, why not?

Am I forced to completely neuter the Beastmen (yeah, like I'm going to do that!) or do I have to sit down and write my own Chaos Beast Herds book for 9th Age, complete with all the cool stuff I used to know and love back in 6th Ed?

It's like I have to learn a foreign language these days. None of the familiar old concepts seem to be here anymore. I guess I've been away from this for far too long. Mentally I'm stuck in 6th Edition WFB and the world has moved on, leaving me behind :(

Don't get me wrong, I'm getting back into this, but I fear that I may have to twist and turn things to suit myself because not everything I'm discovering so far is working out the way that I want (and need) it to...
The Dark Princess
High Priestess of the Cult Of Pleasure

Give yourself over to absolute pleasure
Swim the warm waters of sins of the flesh
Erotic nighmares beyond any measure
And sensual daydreams to treasure forever
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Re: A Beastly Situation

Post by Calisson »

Before 9th Age, GW had alreaady moved to split Chaos, which used to allow a wild mix of demons, men and beastmen in the same army.
For many years now, there has been three separate army books and no way to combine.
The 9th Age team have so far released rules to make nearly all 8th models playable. They started as close as possible from 8th, i.e. no Slaaneshi beastmen.

From a fluff point of view, 9th Age team has decided not to take any risk with GW's copyright.
Definitively no more Slaanesh as a name.
I know that they struggle with Chaos much more than with other factions, and I have not seen any indication about how they will resolve that.

There is hope, though.
For DE, they did create rules to allow Slaaneshi DE to have a revival.
Maybe you could investigate that in 9th Age Beastmen forum?

Besides the rules, there is the fluff.
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
Darkprincess
Chosen Babe of Slaanesh

Re: A Beastly Situation

Post by Darkprincess »

Hmm, thanks.

I'm going to give the 9th Age project some time to get all the stuff organised (it's still early days yet) but until such a time arrives I think I'll stick to 6th Edition rules and stats. I know where I am with that. I love what the 9th Age guys are trying to do, but to keep me on board (GW have already lost me with AoS - they no longer exist as far as I'm concerned), they simply must get it right, otherwise I'll just escape to the past, and see if I can somehow resurrect the old gaming group - I know at least one former member who will support me on this - he never got much past 6th/7th either :)
The Dark Princess
High Priestess of the Cult Of Pleasure

Give yourself over to absolute pleasure
Swim the warm waters of sins of the flesh
Erotic nighmares beyond any measure
And sensual daydreams to treasure forever