Meaning of the new Thunder Hammer

All aspects of Warhammer 40K, from general discussion through to army lists, tactics etc etc.

Moderators: Drainial, The Dread Knights

Khel
Angel of Darkness

Meaning of the new Thunder Hammer

Post by Khel »

With the 5th Ed book out (I read about it in WD343), it shows us the new Thunder Hammer. I'm not that well up on Warhammer 40,000 history and WD343 hint at meanings of the design of the Thunder Hammer (such as the emperor on the shield, the 12 spikes), so could someone explain to me the full relevance of the new Thunder Hammer design?
Saldrimek Xenan - WS6 / S4 / T3 / D5 / I3

Equipment: Executioners Axe (Rune of Beastslaying - Heroic Killing Blow), 2 Scimitars (Rune of Speed - Always Strike First), Dagger, Rune Branded Leather Armour, Executioner Helm, Fine Set of Throwing Knives (x4)
Inventory: Amulet of Darkness, Poison Vials x7, Deadly Poison Vials x8
Mount: Dark Steed
Gold: 163
Skills: Ambidexterity, Frenzy, Two Weapon Fighting, Ride
Class: Khainite
Rork
Lord of Khorne
Lord of Khorne

Post by Rork »

I don't think it meant the thunder hammer in general, but just that specific logo design.

The 12 spikes, for example, are likely to represent the High Lords of Terra.

"Rork.. a wonderful guy :)" - Linda Lobsta Defenda

+++ Team Mulligans +++
Ansob.
Follower of Malal

Post by Ansob. »

Thunder hammers were always meant to be incredibly individualised weapons, anyway - a bit like the "magic" swords of our legends. Technically, so are power swords, but they're still fairly common - thunder hammers are ancient and holy relics.
General Kala wrote:
Cenyu wrote:Hail to the King, baby.
All my eloquence fails to express it as well as this.
Khel
Angel of Darkness

Post by Khel »

The Lion and the Hawk on the hammer head? What does that mean. I presume the Emperor is fighting Horus on the shield itself?
Saldrimek Xenan - WS6 / S4 / T3 / D5 / I3

Equipment: Executioners Axe (Rune of Beastslaying - Heroic Killing Blow), 2 Scimitars (Rune of Speed - Always Strike First), Dagger, Rune Branded Leather Armour, Executioner Helm, Fine Set of Throwing Knives (x4)
Inventory: Amulet of Darkness, Poison Vials x7, Deadly Poison Vials x8
Mount: Dark Steed
Gold: 163
Skills: Ambidexterity, Frenzy, Two Weapon Fighting, Ride
Class: Khainite
Kyrel
Executioner

Post by Kyrel »

Oh gods. All these little details could mean a whole lot of things. The 12 spikes could be signifying the 12 lords of Terra, or it could represent the fist 12 foundings of the Space Marines. Or it could perhaps represent 12 of the original Chapters of Space Marines (I'm too rusty in my 40K lore to remember how many Chapters were originally created). I suppose that the spikes could also represent some of the different enemies that oppose the Imperium (how many races are there in 40K by now?). The Lion and Eagle could be references to Horus and the Emperor, or it could represent the Space Marines and the Imperial Guard or just the Imperium itself. The Emperor struggling with two serpents could represent two major threats to the Imperium, i.e. the external enemies, and the internal ones. The physical dangers and the subversive ones.
The skull could represent Death, or it could represent the Adeptus Mechanicus, or perhaps the Inquisition, or Imperial justice, or the administration. The pictures on the Purity Seals could mean...Well, I have no idea really. I suppose that they could mean anything really. Traits that the Imperium considers to be vitues perhaps, or maybe it's suppose to represent individual heroes of the Imperium.
Basically, go to town with your own interpretations. I doubt that GW will ever come out and tell you what the various signs, symbols, and iconography is meant to represent.
Lordofthenight
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by Lordofthenight »

Oh gods. All these little details could mean a whole lot of things. The 12 spikes could be signifying the 12 lords of Terra, or it could represent the fist 12 foundings of the Space Marines. Or it could perhaps represent 12 of the original Chapters of Space Marines (I'm too rusty in my 40K lore to remember how many Chapters were originally created).

There were 20 (though two are unknown)
Punishment leads to Fear. Fear leads to Obedience. Obedience leads to Freedom. Therefore, Punishment leads to Freedom.

Kuyoz Nightkiller
WS: 4 S:3 T:3 D:4 I:4
Repeater Crossbow, Short Sword, Shade Cloak, Light Armour
5 throwing daggers, 90gc
Belial
Modest Member

Post by Belial »

Kyrel wrote:The Lion and Eagle could be references to Horus and the Emperor,

Wouldn't it be more logical for Lion 'El Johnson to be represented by a lion? Isn't he called "The Lion"(for obvious reasons)?
Drainial
Prophet of Tzeentch
Prophet of Tzeentch

Post by Drainial »

But unless this particular hammer is owned by one of the Dark Angels (not all that likly) the chances of him being represented are small. At a guess, if it means anything I would have thought of the IG first, as they are the main fighting arm of the imperium. But it could be many things.
Moding a group of Druchii.net players is much like directing the musical 'Cats' using actual cats. Frustrating, difficult, chaotic but ultimatley satisfying and a great deal of fun.

Arch Deacon of the RPG forum
Gentleman of Moderation
Lordofthenight
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by Lordofthenight »

Wouldn't it be more logical for Lion 'El Johnson to be represented by a lion? Isn't he called "The Lion"(for obvious reasons)?

Who's the Eagle then? Fulgrim? (Emperors Children having an eagle's claw as their sign).
Punishment leads to Fear. Fear leads to Obedience. Obedience leads to Freedom. Therefore, Punishment leads to Freedom.

Kuyoz Nightkiller
WS: 4 S:3 T:3 D:4 I:4
Repeater Crossbow, Short Sword, Shade Cloak, Light Armour
5 throwing daggers, 90gc
Gensuke626
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Gensuke626 »

The Thunderhammer is there because it is Awesome and Win. Beyond that...the Game is called "Warhammer"

The Eagle and the Lion most likely represent the Emperor as both the Proud, Majestic leader and the Vicious Hawk, ready to strike when needed.

The shield, I believe, does represent the 12 High Lords. 2 of the symbols on the shield clearly bears the Mark of the Inqusition...The cross-barred I...and one of them seems to have the half-cog used to represent the Adeptus Mechanicus. The other symbols are too dull to make out.

I believe that the symbol in the middle does represent the Emperor fighting Horus, Or Just fighting Chaos in general... It may also be symbolic of Man (The angel) constantly fighting against the twin Evils of Chaos and Xenos.

That's my take on it anyhow.
Coldeyes
Corsair

Post by Coldeyes »

most likely just because of the title of warhammer 40K, they probobly just sketched a thunderhammer and worked the symbols they wanted to portray afterwards.

the thunderhammer is a mighty weapon against the forces of chaos and has been proven to be the weapon of choice by many space marine commanders
Blood and souls for Khaine!