Questions regarding fluff and models

All aspects of Warhammer 40K, from general discussion through to army lists, tactics etc etc.

Moderators: Drainial, The Dread Knights

Belial
Modest Member

Questions regarding fluff and models

Post by Belial »

Well, since I maybe have got my hands on a very sweet deal for a Chaos Army box, with the following:

1 CSM Terminator Lord
5 Terminator
15 CSM Marines
8 Khorne Bezerkers
5 Possessed CSM
2 Chaos Spawn
1 Chaos Defiler
1 CSM Codex

At 850 dkk, that's not a bad deal, though whether I buy it or not, is still being considered.

So, I'm gonna finally get my Alpha Legion kickstarted, it seems. But for this army, I really want character, so I'm going to establish background for the army, for the lord, for his leautenants, fir the dreadnought(that will be included later). I'm even thinking of writing some short stories, to really give, erm, character to my characters.

Enough ranting, on to the questions:

1. Stasis technology exists in W40k, but is there any info on how advanced it is, and some specs? Would a high ranking astartes have acces to stasis machinery, stolen or otherwise? And what size of machines are we talking here?

2. Time flows differently in the warp. Is it possible that a ship lost in the warp around, say the Horus Heresy, could emerge into real space in present W40k time, without having felt more than a few years having passed?

3. Can you think of any other way a character may have survived several millenia without having felt the passage of time?

4. Has anybody worked with the Huron Blackheart model? I'm thinking of converting it into my lord. Is the head and the lightningclaw easily detachable?

5. The head of the Slaanesh champion on demonic steed for WHFB (Link, is that in okay proportions to Huron? Or is it too small?

I'll probably hav emore questions, and i know I'll be needing help with convertion ideas for several of the characters, but I'll let that wait 'till I have a description of the lord and his henchmen ready.

- Belial
Mr. anderson
Dark Illusionist

Post by Mr. anderson »

1) As far as I know, the Necron Gods need huge temples to endure the milennia but I don't know about the size of the actual machine. I doubt, however, that you could have one on a ship because you need too much power to sustain it.

2)It certainly would be possible, though not very likely. Maybe the crew of the ship would have felt that they have been in the warp for a decade or so, but of course that wouldn't matter to space marines at all. Have you read the Night Lord book? There is a Night Lord marine in there who thinks that it still is only a short time after the sundering, even though in fact several Milennia have passed. I think Space Marines could take it.

3)He may have been on a planet engulfed by a warp storm or something like that. A marine could probably have survived in some state of shock where his systems run on minimum requirements to stay alive.

4)No idea... But the model looks pretty cool :D

5)Dunno...

Hope I could help :)
Good luck with your army!

HUZZAH!
When I think of something witty, I shall put it here.
Belial
Modest Member

Post by Belial »

Fair point. The imperium has stasis technology as well(Marneus Calgar is in one such device, no?), but if it is the same proportions as the Necron equivalent, then that idea is out the window. I had some other solutions other than being on a ship, but they wont work with something that can't even fit on a ship... So the warp ideas might be better.

I have indeed read the Night Lord book, and stole the idea from there. It could work, I think.

Your new idea isn't half bad. I'll consider it.

But damn, I was really hoping for the stasis thing to work, as the plot I was thinking of needed it. But I can find something similar, so no worries there.

Thanks for the help man :)

- Belial
Mr. anderson
Dark Illusionist

Post by Mr. anderson »

But damn, I was really hoping for the stasis thing to work, as the plot I was thinking of needed it. But I can find something similar, so no worries there.

You can still get it to work - I'm sure in the age of technology there would not have been such a fear of alien artefacts. And Eldar sure are able to fit such devices on ships. So you could have the character spending some time in the warp and then ending up on some long forgotten planet. There he could find alien technology and attempt to repair it but only partially manage, and so he gets lost once again on his way back to his brothers. Come to think about Eldar - your character may even have fought his way into an entrance of the web way (or just found an abandoned one which has been sealed and then reopened by the dark eldar) and then he got lost in the web way and spent the last few millennia trying to get out...

No worries. We aim to please :D

HUZZAH!
Last edited by Mr. anderson on Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gnosis
Hard, but Fair

Post by Gnosis »

There is yet another form of stasis, and that is the Golden Throne. Perhaps a similar device that feeds on psykers could be created?
Count them:

Painted in 2013: 500
Painted in 2014: 600
Painted in 2015: 854
Belial
Modest Member

Post by Belial »

Mr. Anderson wrote:

You can still get it to work - I'm sure in the age of technology there would not have been such a fear of alien artefacts. And Eldar sure are able to fit such devices on ships. Come to think about it - your character may even have fought his way into an entrance of the web way and then he got lost and spent the last few millennia trying to get out...

That is actually a great idea! Thanks again man.

Damnation wrote:There is yet another form of stasis, and that is the Golden Throne. Perhaps a similar device that feeds on psykers could be created?
Indeed. Though it means my character will have to be a tad too important(I'm afraid of the awesome-factor), it's fittingly sinister.
Aspiring executioner
Assassin
Location: Raiding Lustria for more cake...(Newcastle, Australia)

Post by Aspiring executioner »

By the way it's Roboute Guilliman who's in Stasis not Marneus. I have heard from somewhere that a expedition fleet got lost in the warp around the time of the Horus Heresy and entered into the 41st Millenium so I guess it's possible. Your lord could have been trapped in a tomb world or something and was being experimented on by the necrons and was put into a stasis field to prolong the experiments? Just an idea.
Dark Elf Tally using the 6th Ed. list
W: 11 D: 2 L: 8
Dark Elf Tally using the 7th Ed. List
W: 24 D: 2 L: 6
Lordofthenight
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by Lordofthenight »

2. Time flows differently in the warp. Is it possible that a ship lost in the warp around, say the Horus Heresy, could emerge into real space in present W40k time, without having felt more than a few years having passed?

2)It certainly would be possible, though not very likely. Maybe the crew of the ship would have felt that they have been in the warp for a decade or so, but of course that wouldn't matter to space marines at all. Have you read the Night Lord book? There is a Night Lord marine in there who thinks that it still is only a short time after the sundering, even though in fact several Milennia have passed. I think Space Marines could take it.

I have indeed read the Night Lord book, and stole the idea from there. It could work, I think.

The Angels of Darkness had a similar plotline - after the explosions of Caliban the Fallen were scattered throughout space - the antagonist of the Angels of Darkness book emerged only about a hundred years before present time, not knowing at first that any time had passed.
Punishment leads to Fear. Fear leads to Obedience. Obedience leads to Freedom. Therefore, Punishment leads to Freedom.

Kuyoz Nightkiller
WS: 4 S:3 T:3 D:4 I:4
Repeater Crossbow, Short Sword, Shade Cloak, Light Armour
5 throwing daggers, 90gc
Noble korhedron
Empire General

Post by Noble korhedron »

Belial wrote:Fair point. The imperium has stasis technology as well(Marneus Calgar is in one such device, no?), but if it is the same proportions as the Necron equivalent, then that idea is out the window. I had some other solutions other than being on a ship, but they wont work with something that can't even fit on a ship... So the warp ideas might be better.

- Belial

Sorry Bel, please read your background! That is the body of Robute Gulliman, kept in stasis at the Fortress of Hera, near the site where he was orginally found.... The fortress is also known as, and in fact incorporates, the shirne of the Primarch.....
Regards,

NK.

http://ulthuan.net/forum
http://warhammer.org.uk/phpBB/index.php
http://warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php
http://www.bartertown.com/trading/index.php

Give me a sense of humor Lord. Give me the grace to see a joke.
To get some humor out of life and pass it on to other folk.
Arquinsiel
Shadowdancer

Post by Arquinsiel »

1: in 2nd ed it came in handy grenade-sized packages. Also known as Stasis Grenades. They were... odd.

2: Very Much so.

3: Chaos in general just tends to twist the rules. The majority of the Legion Chaos Marines (as opposed to the Renegades currently seen) are the same Marines who followed Horus.

4 & 5: can't help much there, sorry.

Re backgroud: Don't bother, Ultrasmurf background is boring anyway.
ImageImageImageImage
faerthurir wrote:Arq kicked me in the gyros.
Obsidianichor
Cold One Knight

Post by Obsidianichor »

I direct you to a forum called Bolter and Chainsword. It is a great resource for anything Power Armored in the 40k universe. While many people play both games here, that forum is solely dedicated to 40k and power armored armies. It is a great resource for a 40k player.

www.bolterandchainsword.com
-ObsidianIchor

Armies:
Druchii: 4000+
DIY Marines: 4000+
Tyranids: 6000+
Belial
Modest Member

Post by Belial »

Noble Korhedron wrote:
Belial wrote:Fair point. The imperium has stasis technology as well(Marneus Calgar is in one such device, no?), but if it is the same proportions as the Necron equivalent, then that idea is out the window. I had some other solutions other than being on a ship, but they wont work with something that can't even fit on a ship... So the warp ideas might be better.

- Belial

Sorry Bel, please read your background! That is the body of Robute Gulliman, kept in stasis at the Fortress of Hera, near the site where he was orginally found.... The fortress is also known as, and in fact incorporates, the shirne of the Primarch.....

As was already pointed out above you :) It was a brainfart anyway, as I knew it was Roboute.

Well, I might have a looksie at bolter and chainsword. I'm off in 5 minutes to buy some traitor marines and some paint(the guy with the great offer above has suddenly stopped replying, some days ago, and I'm not for waiting. And if he does reply later on, well, I can still afford it). I have a question for you to answer in the meanwhile:

Demons can't be killed, right? Only banished to the warp. That means demon princes are immortal, no?
Mr. anderson
Dark Illusionist

Post by Mr. anderson »

Demons can't be killed, right? Only banished to the warp. That means demon princes are immortal, no?

I was under the impression that psykers had means to completely destroy a daemonic entity, but usually when the physical body is destroyed the daemon just goes back into the warp which means it is pretty much immortal (even though apparently the process of leaving the "real" world is rather painful for daemons). In one of the books I have read about eldar (there is this imperial tradesman who has been extremely successful and then he's lost everything and is a drug addict and he becomes involved with some schemes of a slaaneshi cult. He turns out to be an alpha-level psyker and two eldar come to get him out before the inquisition can lay a hand on him). In this book, one of the eldar psykers completely annihilates a daemon so it appears that even they are not immortal in a sense that nothing can harm them.

HUZZAH!
Drainial
Prophet of Tzeentch
Prophet of Tzeentch

Post by Drainial »

1) You can remain in suspended animation indefinatly and completly unchangingly. Thats normal stasis. Then there is the golden throne which is realy more of a life suport system which uses souls instead of bateries.

2) Yes and there are many cases of it hapening, particulaly with space hulks. The catch being that what is inside is almost allways tainted.

3) Outside of the warp or eye of terror (which is essentialy the warp for time purposes) there are the space marine dreadnoughts, some of which are old enough to remember the primarchs. Though these are very rare. So that sugests that with good enough life suport systems it is possible.

I have no idea on four and five, modeling is not my thing.

As for the deamons, I don't know if it is possible to completly destroy a deamon, if it is it would have to be done psyicly and very strongly. A whole compony of Greyknights took on Angron at Armeggedon and managed to banish him, but not destroy him, which sugests that it is beyond the means of all but the most powerful psykers in the galaxy (and maybe the necrons, there is no evidence of this but if any one has the technology is the Ct'an). I do know that if you are powerful enough souls can be destroyed. The emperor utterly wiped Horus' soul from existance at the battle for Terra, but thats the emperor.

Sorry if I am repeating other peoples answers but hey it only takes a few seconds out of your day to read this.
Moding a group of Druchii.net players is much like directing the musical 'Cats' using actual cats. Frustrating, difficult, chaotic but ultimatley satisfying and a great deal of fun.

Arch Deacon of the RPG forum
Gentleman of Moderation
Belial
Modest Member

Post by Belial »

Drainial, if I didn't want answers, I wouldn't be asking :)

What you say is good. That demons cannot be killed fits perfectly with what I have in mind. Remember, Horus was not a demon.

EDIT: I went into town today, but for some reason, a normal Squad of Chaos Space Marines was not to be found. So i returned home with the codex, Huron Blackheart(which indeed will be easy to work with, for the simple convertions I have in mind), and some citadel paints for the Alpha Legion colour scheme. I won't be painting them the way they do in the new codex(ugly as h...), but rather as they did in the previous edition.
Arquinsiel
Shadowdancer

Post by Arquinsiel »

Technically speaking it is possible to destroy a daemon. Problem is, it tends to require actually being in the warp (or the Eye of Terror etc) and being another daemon or comparable entity. That said, it's a lot easier to kill a Nurgling permenantly than it is to kill a Bloodthirster.
ImageImageImageImage
faerthurir wrote:Arq kicked me in the gyros.
Belial
Modest Member

Post by Belial »

I have an idea for it, that haven't been seen before, I think. Of course, that might mean its totally bollocks. But I'll go with it anyway. But all that stuff will wait until I have a decent little warband up and going.