Black Templars 1500p 5th ed.

All aspects of Warhammer 40K, from general discussion through to army lists, tactics etc etc.

Moderators: Drainial, The Dread Knights

Darkwand
Shade

Black Templars 1500p 5th ed.

Post by Darkwand »

HQ

Marshall Gaius Julius Caesar @ 112
-Bolt Pistol
-Power Weapon
-Holy Orbs of Antioch
-Frag Grenades & Melta Bombs
-Crusader Seals

Reclusiarch Gaius Octavius @ 108
-Cenobyte Servitor
-Frag & Krak Grenades
-Rosarius
-Crozius Arcanum & Bolt Pistol
-Crusader Seals

EC Marcus Antonius @ 140
-Accept any challenge...
-The Black Sword
-The Armour of Faith
-Crusader Seals
-Frag Grenades

Troops

Crusader Squad I @ 285
- 10 Initiates (BP & CCW)
- 1x Powerfist & BP
- 1x Meltagun
- 10 Neophytes (BP & CCW)

Crusader Squad II @ 285
- 1x Powerfist & BP
- 1x Meltagun

Crusader Squad III @ 285
- 1x Powerfist & BP
- 1x Meltagun

Crusader Squad IV @ 285
- 1x Powerfist & BP
- 1x Meltagun

Total: 1500
Models: 83

--

Chaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarge! 8) :twisted:

I want an army that looks cool and is a blast to play with ;)
Mr. anderson
Dark Illusionist

Post by Mr. anderson »

This list might have a lot of character but even without knowing much of marines myself (actually - all I know about them is how to kick 'em back to where they came from), I can say that this army will struggle against many opponents. Both my Eldar and my Tau would just run circles around this army and shoot it to death.
My eldar are fast enough to kill one squad at a time and when they are decimated enough, I'll charge in with banshees, harlequins and shining spears and wipe your army up. Your army is just not fast enough, and especially tanks can prove to be a problem - just imagine what a pair of hammerheads is going to do to your army, or fire prisms or leman russes. You can only take care of them effectively at a range of 12" (and even then one melta is nowhere near enough to reliably bust a tank). I would recommend taking a squad of bikers with multi-melta and two dreadnaughts - one venerable and a normal. You'd still have enough infantry left but the dreadnaughts can provide you with some more anti-armor capability on long range. That army will still be non-mechanised and it will pack some serious punch (I've tried an army like that myself once just for fun, and I must say its great fun to play with - the only thing I missed were the three las cannons a predator can pack).

HUZZAH!
When I think of something witty, I shall put it here.
Gnosis
Hard, but Fair

Post by Gnosis »

Long range pie plates are going to cause you a world of pain. I would suggest downsizing all your infantry squads, 20 is just too unwieldy.

Also, I would suggest naming your Marshall Octavius and your Reclusiarch Lepidus. Just to get the triumvirate thing right ;)
Count them:

Painted in 2013: 500
Painted in 2014: 600
Painted in 2015: 854
Darkwand
Shade

Post by Darkwand »

With the new rules I can decide which model takes which save. So if a hammerhead shoots my squad I can take the saves with my power armour troopers. Also, since even marines can run in the new book (and BT run +d6" everytime they're shot at and pass a morale check) I reckon I should be able to catch a load of things.

And it's not the triumvirate I have but it's Julius Caesar, his trusted champion Marcus Antonius and Caesar's "adopted son" Gaius Octavian.
Gnosis
Hard, but Fair

Post by Gnosis »

Allrighty, if you model Octavius like a small boy ;) Basically I just thought Lepidus would be a perfect fit for your Reclusiarch, as he went into the annals of history a rather disappointed Pontifex Maximus.

I'm still a little clueless as to the new rules, can you take armour saves with your Marines but then remove Neophytes? Regardless, many army builds will still be able to run circles around you. I could see this army functioning decently in a Cityfight, but then the squads would still be too unwieldy. Do yourself a favour and add some dreads.
Count them:

Painted in 2013: 500
Painted in 2014: 600
Painted in 2015: 854