what if?

All aspects of Warhammer 40K, from general discussion through to army lists, tactics etc etc.

Moderators: Drainial, The Dread Knights

Kinslayer
Roleplaying Deity
Roleplaying Deity

what if?

Post by Kinslayer »

the basic idea of this topic is to ask a 'what if' question and discuss the outcomes, and then when discussion has expired ask a new similar question to keep it going. The idea came to me late last night and i think it will bring up some important views on some things. My first question is as follows.

What if Horus had not been killed during the Heresy?

my own view on the matter is that leadership of the Sons of Horus would clearly have remained in his hands, meaning both Abaddon would not rise to power of Warmaster and the legion would not get renamed the Black Legion. Of course this brings up all other side-questions, would Abaddon have followed Horus still, or seeked power of leadership for his own? Of course, the more important thing would be the black crusades, led this time by Horus, could have done more damage? Could the Emperor have been killed since?
Zakath the slaughterer
Master of Puppets

Post by Zakath the slaughterer »

Huh, that's a big if you've got there :) I believe that things would have gone pretty much the same except that everything would've been worse for the Imperium - which is good, of course. The name of Black Legion is a minor point but the Abaddon's position and leadership...he probably would've just found another position of power - if he had not allied himself to Horus
Master of puppets I'm pulling your strings/
Twisting your mind and smashing your dreams/
Blinded by me, you cant see a thing/
Just call my name, `cause Ill hear you scream
Eeeeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Eeeeron »

I think Abbadon would have stayed loyal to Horus. As to what would happen to the Imperium, depends what happened to the Emperor, if he had ended up in the same state then I think Horus could continued and wiped out the Imperium as I don't think any of the other primarchs could touch him in combat. If the Emperor had survived then the war would basically continue until one or the other was killed.
Don't hate the player, hate the game.

Bring on the dancing squirrels!

Consolecommunity.com - For all your gaming chat and meet-ups
Demetrius
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Demetrius »

Well the only way to prevent that from happening is if he didn't let down his battle barges energy shields. If that didn't happen, the Emperor couldn't have boarded it. Also, if he didn't kill Horus, the Forces of Chaos would have not lost all morale whatsoever. Therefore, completely crushing the rest of Terra, ending in the inevitable destruction of The Imperium, and the galaxy being ruled by Horus.

However, this would lead to having all Chaos Legions fighting eachother for control of the galaxy. And not just the Legions, millions of warbands, ranging from thousands of people to whole sectors, would form of humans, either Chaotic worshippers, pirates, or just people united for survival. The light of the Emperor would have failed, so every human would potentially be a gateway to Daemonic possession.

At this point, the only alien races discovered were Orks and Eldar, so Orks could pose a threat, but not big enough against the dominant Chaos. A few thousand years later, there could be trouble from Nids and Necrons, but Im sure Chaos could hold them back (thered be enough of them).

I like this outcome :D . Chaos rules the galaxy, Alpharius would still be alive as the Ultramarines would have been destroyed. Constant battle for territory and resources. Its practically the Eye of Terror on a Galactic scale!
Tich
Highborn

Post by Tich »

If Horus hadn't died then he must of won. Therefore Chaos loses.

SPOILER- in the book legion it was said that chaos had tied its fate in with humans and if humans died so would it, as Horus would rule for a time before destroying the immperium in his guilt. It was why Alpharius sided with Horus instead of the emporer, lose Mankind to save the galaxy.
"I have this magic sword, it kills people when you stick it in them"