Orcs: Deff rolla and meganobz spam flavoured cheese

All aspects of Warhammer 40K, from general discussion through to army lists, tactics etc etc.

Moderators: Drainial, The Dread Knights

Mr_piechee
Malekith's Best Friend

Orcs: Deff rolla and meganobz spam flavoured cheese

Post by Mr_piechee »

Hi guys,

Been looking at orcs recently and spotted a lovely cheese hole. Currently I play Eldar, and am a bit out of practice, but this is a hole new kettle of fish, so just toying with the idea of an orc army.

Anyway, 1500pts list, 5 units of 3 meganobz, 5 battle wagons with deff rollas to transport them.
Little cheese, but having a little search and, obviously, people have seen similar things (couldn't find the exact list though - it fitted so nicely into the points I'm amazed!). What do you think, and how does it play?

[Warboss - mega armour, attack squig, cyborg body] x2

[3x MegaNobz
Battle Wagon - Ard case, deff rolla, red paint, 4 big shootas, Armour plates] x5

Exactly 1500pts, Warbosses give me two units of meganobz as the needed troop choices

Can see a little problem with hordes, since it doesn't output may attacks, but its tough as, so it will be hard to deal with for a horde i guess. It does have a rear Armour weakness though.

The obviously simply and entertainingly fun tactic, is to get across the board as fast as possible and tank shock everything that you can. Then jump all your hard as nails units and then continue to tank shock everything still left. Does suffer from the standard mission capture fail (no troops) so would have to go for a kill everything win...

A small adjustment to the list would me exchanging the meganobz for just plain nobz, with pain boyz. load more attacks and almost the same survivability.
[hope you don't mind my random babel] ~ Take a look to the sky just before you die, its the last time you will ~ my pics
Afeinman
Trainee Warrior

Post by Afeinman »

Plasma will rip you apart. Mobs will tie you up, and you won't be able to hold objectives very well. You can't kill vehicles (except up close), and you're not great against mobs either. So, it'll work okay against Marine equivalents, but terrible against other competitive armies (notably, bad against 'leafblower' IG lists).

You're not giving up many kill points, at least, but if you put this down I would definitely get rather peevish with you. But then, you said 'cheese'.
Blaznak
Beastmaster

Post by Blaznak »

Here's the deal. You will have fun. Its a really really fun army to play with. But... its limited. It will not go the long distance you probably want for consistent wins.

First, you serioiusly need more troops. I know you CAN win with only two choices, but, uh, you are orcs. Why would you do that? You need to have something to punish the other side with if they just pop shot your battlewagons. If nothing else, pick up a trukk or two and run a couple of 12 orc units with a power klaw in each. That will cause a bit more of a head ache.

Or grots! Grots are GREAT in this sort of army because 1) they are cheap, 2) they hold ground and 3) they are cheap. They really are terrible so don't think you will get much out of them....

You'd be better off getting rid of one warboss and tossing in a Mech with a Kustom Force Field. I was not a believer until I finally tried it. Its silly good.

Well, either way, its still orky 'cause its 'ard an killy and dat's all dat matters to da boyz! WAAAAAAAAAGHHHHHH!!!!!!!!
Mr_piechee
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Mr_piechee »

Well i herd the important part - its fun! I was looking at a way to keep the 5 battle wagons in 1500 pts, and try to make it a little more competitive, but its challenging...

I have noticed that if you don't manage first turn its a little tougher, but if you do, then mobs, vehicles, and plasma don't mean too much - your tank shocking can do allot of harm, and you don't disembark the meganobz unless you have too (lost wagon) or your close enough to assault straight up. Theres allot of cheese there, but i think its worth a try in a friendly match or two...

I was very tempted by large nob units with a mek and a force field, but they do look a little pricey - its more than the mek! I've been looking for a cheaper* (£) way to get nobz, cause i'm not liking the GW prices on them! I was thinking black orcs with a few 40k mods, but i don't think the models are quite big enough... [I've got a few space marine tanks lying about that were picked up cheap a long time ago so was thinking of having lots of looted battlewagons][megabobz i've seen some lovely snotling/grots in suits of battle armour]

[[edit] I've noticed that there £15 for 5, which while still expensive, is pretty good for GW standard - I'm sure they were £20 or £25 a matter of weeks ago...]
[hope you don't mind my random babel] ~ Take a look to the sky just before you die, its the last time you will ~ my pics
Blaznak
Beastmaster

Post by Blaznak »

Best deal out there: Get the Assault on Black Reach orks for cheap from a swap meet, ebay, this group in trade, etc.
Cut up some plastic card and glue on armor bits, maybe sprinkle in the odd wire or such, and there you are!
~B~
Mr_piechee
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Mr_piechee »

What do you think about deffkoptas? With only two attacks each buzzsaws don't really seem worth it with S6... A long time ago i saw a great conversion for them, which involved a jet engine and a seat - that was pretty much it - summed up orcs nicely.

While i would like to field a similar army to the cheese above, i was thinking of a transport based army - only trukks and battle wagons (without kill kannons). A 1k list to start it with would look something like:

[Warboss, Power Klaw, Attack Squiq, Cybork Body, Eavy Armour]

[Big Mek, Warbike, Eavy Armour, Burna]

[Nobz x10, Power Klaw x3, Waaagh Banner, Pain Boy, Grot Orderly]
[Battle Wagon, Ard Case, Deff rolla, Red Paint Job, Big Shoota x3, Armour plates]

[Orc Boyz x12, Nob, Power Klaw
Trukk, Red Paint Job, Armour plates, Boarding Plank, Reinforced Ram] x2

The mek is there purely for repairing the wagon and the trucks - he can also add a little punch in the right place at later stages of the game - do you think this would work?
I was thinking off adding burna, storm, and deffkoptas at 1k - burnas for the meks to try and add to the theme (what load outs are good for them?). Then at 2k add two more battle wagons...

[removing the mek and cutting the nobz down to 6 (with two claws) i can increase the boyz to 17 each and put them in battle wagons, as an alternative list - not sure which is better...]
Blaznak
Beastmaster

Post by Blaznak »

Deffkoptas are supposed to be great, because you individualize them and then get to do crazy wound allocation on them.

I've never seen a mek on bike before so I'm not sure what that gets you for the points. It means he's on his own and not joining any other squads, though. I'd save the points on the bike and throw the mek in the wagon.

The other thought is to shave a few lousy points together and pick up a cheap mob of grots to hold objectives. Fluff wise they could be grots normally used to help the mek work on the vehicles and such and are rounded together for some quick parts looting on the field. A unit of 10+handler is like 40 points which is great for holding a quarter, etc.

~B~
Mr_piechee
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Mr_piechee »

sounds good! and you'll never guess how much a bike is (which is a little high for a bike)! I was thinking that on a bike a single mek can get across the battle field easy, hiding behind each vehicle to then be able to repair it in the shooting phase. I'll make those changes to the list and then think about converting the vehicles and getting some troops!
Mr_piechee
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Mr_piechee »

I just spotted something reading the transport rules, And being open topped greatly improves assaulting ability of the transported unit. So i've removed the ard case from the battle wagon, and added some riggers to the wagon and trukks... Do you think this is a good idea? It means that there's less chance that the transports will make it across the board, but not a great deal - especially with 3 vehicles in 1k (but maybe not in larger games)
Blaznak
Beastmaster

Post by Blaznak »

Uh, yes? It great to be open topped as an ork. Oh, and deff rollas. Make sure you have deff rollas...
Mr_piechee
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Mr_piechee »

Yeah, thats staying the theme of the army - tank shocking with wagons and deff rollas. I'm thinking of a 2k army with 3, and then 1k and 1.5k armies with the option of 1 and two trukks, or 3 wagons depending on who and how i want to play.