1000 pts Eldar vs. orcs

All aspects of Warhammer 40K, from general discussion through to army lists, tactics etc etc.

Moderators: Drainial, The Dread Knights

Hartsteen
Slave (off the Altar)

1000 pts Eldar vs. orcs

Post by Hartsteen »

For my 3. game I am going to field 1000 points of eldars versus the orcs of my experienced friend.
I need advice on what to take against the greenskins.
After winning a great victory with lots of jetbikes in my first game, my second game became a humiliating defeat as my wraithlord was cut down by meganobz and my guardians and scorpions were swarmed by waaarging boyz.

So; Will this do? And what is the most effective way to deal with orcs?

1 Farseer Doom, Rune of witnessing
1 Farseer Guide, Rune of witnessing

5 Firedragons

10 Dire Avengers
6 Dire Avengers
3 Jetbikes Shuriken cannon
1 Warlock on jetbike Destructor

1 Wraithlord 2 flamers, Shuriken Cannon, Bright lance
1 Falcon tank Shuriken Canon, Shuriken Cannon

(The firedragons and one of the farseers should be mounted in the falcon)
Rork
Lord of Khorne
Lord of Khorne

Post by Rork »

I've never liked fire dragons. They usually shoot once then get utterly obliterated.

Warp spiders are nice to have, if possible - while AP-, the volume of shots at decent strength tends to make a mess of most targets that don't have a 2+ save.

With such a non-engagement army, the destructor warlock seems like an odd choice, nice though he is.

Swap that shuriken cannon on the wraithlord for a missile launcher (or the BL for a scatter laser), the current set up is too unfocused. All the units in an Eldar army should do one thing and do it well - all purpose units tend to fail at both things.

Bladestorm and fire prisms will be good anti-Ork tools if you have them available. Try to overwhelm a unit at a time, preferably by rolling his flank - don't give the Orks a chance to fight fair, since that is when you will lose.

"Rork.. a wonderful guy :)" - Linda Lobsta Defenda

+++ Team Mulligans +++
Hartsteen
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Hartsteen »

Thank you for the fast reply Rork.

I have altered the list according to your advice. The firedragons/ Wraithlord BL are replaced by a viper jetbike with a brightlance, that is now my primary anti-tank weapon.
As I removed the firedragons the falcon is not going to be used as a transport anyway, and is thus replaced with a Fire prism.
The Warlock with destructor was meant to circle around the flank with a unit of jetbikes and assault any support weapons the orcs might leave in the deployment area; Be it a tank, killer-cans or some infantry. I found destructor the most usefull power in case the support was given by a unit of orcs with heavy weapons.
i know I cant stall the advance of the orcs forever - and the Wraithlord is my attempt to break the wave before it hits my line. I dont think an orc mob can ignore a wraithlord with 2 flamers. But perhaps I should equip him with a sword?

HQ
1 Farseer Doom Rune of witnessing
1 Farseer Guide Rune of witnessing

Troops
10 Dire Avengers Exarch 2 shuriken catapults
6 Dire Avengers
1 Warlock on jetbike Destructor

Fast attack
1 Vyper Jetbike Shuriken cannon Bright Lance

Heavy support
1 Wraithlord Scatter laser Shuriken Cannon 2 flamers
1 Fire Prism Shuriken Canon
Venkh
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Venkh »

Save yourself some points and just take one farseer with a spirit stone and two powers.

I disagree with Rork on the Wraithlord. You want to take advantage of the wraithlords BS so replace that scatter laser with a brightlance and yes, give him a sword so the big quiet lad can hit things in combat :) Drop the scannon. The Wraithlord is one of the exceptions to the 'one role' rule. He can move full rate and still shoot his weapon.

I'm not a fan of Vypers but if you take them they should be cheap.I would lose the lance for something elsewith multiple shots.

6 DA are a little pointless unless they are mounted in falcons for late game objective grabbing. See if you can sqeeze in a wave serpent with spirit stones somehow. Eldar need their mech. Without the mobility and durability that serpents provide you are going to get cornered, shot and assaulted. Even a small mob of orks will make mincemeat of those 10 Avengers.

Good Luck! let us know how you get on!
Anchanrogar
Corsair

Post by Anchanrogar »

vypers may seem like a cheap way to get an extra heavy weapon, but they are massively overcosted for what they do
with a bright lance a vyper costs significantly more than a dark eldar raider with an identical gun, a lower BS and no troop capacity...
war walkers can get you twice the firepower, more survivability and outflank for a few points more, these could be taken if you dropped the 6 man dire avenger squad

Also your 2 farseers cost 40 points less than eldrad ulthran
If you took eldrad instead you could cast an extra power a turn, cast any of the 5 powers rather than the two you currently use, the ability to use the same power twice in a turn, gain runes of warding, a better inv save, the ability to redeploy 2-4 units after deployment and 2 power weapon, wound on 2+ attacks.
I find eldrad makes games of 40k a lot more tactical, gives you lots of in game choices that arnt simply target priority; do you doom those 2 units this turn or pick off their heavy weapons troopers or fortune that squad about to recieve fire? The re-deployment is also great, you can lay traps by deploying units in the open, refuse an unexpected flank or foil your opponents refused flank strategy.

so... imo your army needs eldrad :D
A man without tea in him is incapable of comprehending either truth or beauty.