too many space marines?

All aspects of Warhammer 40K, from general discussion through to army lists, tactics etc etc.

Moderators: Drainial, The Dread Knights

A lot of armies are

space marines
75%
eldar/dark eldar
9%
orcs
3%
tyranids/necrons
No votes
imperil guard
9%
demon hunters/ witch hunters/ demons of chaos
3%

Total votes: 32

Blondshade
Executioner

too many space marines?

Post by Blondshade »

what race do you guys see most?

This is why i hate 40k. Fantasy is more versatile because of more armies.
Ulric darksoul
Assassin

Post by Ulric darksoul »

jajaja
ok, then, my vote it is...

everybody i know that plays 40k plays with space marine... even i was about to play with them, but couldn't get rid of the DE... now, i'm playing with them and i'm glad i did, but still... i'm stuck with the b*tt-ugly mini's, can't sell them, and i see most space marines...

maybe you should have ask, with which army do you play the most, in 40k. The results would be a little more variate.
"If you're going to leave anyone alive, enslave it!"

RP: Group 27
Ulric Darksoul
WS:5 S:4 T:3 D:5 I:3
Equipment:
- Short sword, dagger, bastard sword 5 throwing stars and Ritual Dagger.
- Sea Dragon Cloak (dark green with dark blue scales)
- 1 healing balm (H) 4 healing balms
120g+12g

Skills: Controlled frenzy, two-weapons fighting
Drainial
Prophet of Tzeentch
Prophet of Tzeentch

Post by Drainial »

I stopped playing 40k a little while ago (it wasn't a decision realy so much as a lack of people to play with) but when I did of all the people I knew only two people played SMs (and I was one of them). The rest were pretty diverse, Orks, Eldar, Chaos, Witch hunters, tyranids, Necrons and Tau being the main ones in use (those were peoples main armies, most people had a couple of secondary little armies as well). I have never really experianced this SM problem, though they do get a hell of a lot more suporting material, models and codecies than anyone else.

So if there was an option I would tick all of the above.
Moding a group of Druchii.net players is much like directing the musical 'Cats' using actual cats. Frustrating, difficult, chaotic but ultimatley satisfying and a great deal of fun.

Arch Deacon of the RPG forum
Gentleman of Moderation
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

I play occasionnaly with two of my sons.
The elder plays SM and started Orks.
The younger played SM but nowadays hardly plays anything else than Imperial Guard (so here's my vote).
Myself, I play Dark Eldar.
We have a leftover Eldar army my other son, which is never used.

In the local shop, I've seen Chaos Marines, Daemons, Tau, Orks, Dark Eldar, nids, SM (regular, Space wolves), Witch hunter Sisters. I don't recall seeing Necrons.
The SM are present but not predominant.

By the way, your poll is lacking Tau, and also chaos marines, space wolves blood angels (OK, the last 3 can be considered SM) ;).
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
Red...
Generalissimo

Post by Red... »

Imperil guard? XD That's an awesome mispelling. They are indeed in peril :P

Anyway, my vote is for eldar. I don't see much 40k, but usually it seems to Eldar and Tau. (Tau wasn't an option).
"While all answers are replies, not all replies are answers. So answer the question."

Don't be a munchkin?

I am an Extraordinary Druchii Gentleman
Asikari
Highborn

Post by Asikari »

I see a lot of Chaos and Demaons of Chaos, neither of which are separate in the poll.

Personally, I started with Dark Angels because I like the Ravenwing/Fast Attack idea. I have an as of yet not put together Eldar battlebox and am considering Dark Eldar once I get some modeling/painting caught up. The new Dark Eldar book looks sweet. I never really mind the look of the minis, just how they play.
"The strength you normally use is like the small visible segment of an iceberg..." Tohei-sensai

"Few problems can't be solved by the judicious application of brute force" Asikari
Guinea pig hydra
Executioner

Post by Guinea pig hydra »

There are 15 Warhammer Army Books. There are 14 40K ones so this -

is redundant.

It may feel like there are a lot of Space Marines around due to the amount of SM Chapters, but if you look into it more you'll see the diversity amongst the chapters.
Druchii - For the joy of stabbing a High Elf in the face.
Red...
Generalissimo

Post by Red... »

Bear in mind that warhammer has two human races, two undead races, three elf races, two dwarf races (okay, so only one has an up to date book) and three chaos races - that's scarcely more diverse than 40k.
"While all answers are replies, not all replies are answers. So answer the question."

Don't be a munchkin?

Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

asikari wrote:Personally, I started with Dark Angels because I like the Ravenwing/Fast Attack idea. I have an as of yet not put together Eldar battlebox and am considering Dark Eldar once I get some modeling/painting caught up. The new Dark Eldar book looks sweet. I never really mind the look of the minis, just how they play.
My son started with Dark Angels too, but the rigid constraints of the army book led him to play a regular SM painted in Dark Angels green instead, and he is happy with that, running a motorcycle heavy army with more lee to arrange the army.
Eldars are highly specialized. The selection of the appropriate force depends on the opponent. I was tempted to develop them as a second army... until the Dark Eldar codex was issued. Now, Dark Eldar have an impressive variety of troops to choose from. And they are much more resistant as previously (still not that much... but it's less frustrating as before).
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
Blondshade
Executioner

Post by Blondshade »

Guinea Pig Hydra wrote:There are 15 Warhammer Army Books. There are 14 40K ones so this -

is redundant.

It may feel like there are a lot of Space Marines around due to the amount of SM Chapters, but if you look into it more you'll see the diversity amongst the chapters.

Ok.....
so what. they have blue sm, green ones, red ones, and black ones.

WOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

For fantasy, the armies just seem to be a little more thought out and different.
40k i know sm sell best, but if you put the books side by side with WHFB you see the diversity of WHFB over 40k. opinions?
Last edited by Blondshade on Fri Dec 10, 2010 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Red...
Generalissimo

Post by Red... »

Ok.....
so what. they have blue sm, green ones, red ones, and black ones.

WOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

I smell a troll.

Don't be a munchkin?

Malekii
Shade

Post by Malekii »

Sure there's lots of chapters but everyone uses ultramarine (including myself) plus whenever I go to gw all I ever vs are space marines and I have now quit space marine to go elder
Never trust a monster wearing a top hat

Hi, i'm Malekii but you can call me My Lord.
Guinea pig hydra
Executioner

Malekii wrote:Sure there's lots of chapters but everyone uses ultramarine (including myself) plus whenever I go to gw all I ever vs are space marines and I have now quit space marine to go elder

I see more Space Wolves than Ultramarines. Also see a fair share of Black Templars and Iron Fists believe it or not.

You have to keep in mind though that Space Marines are the defining motif of GW. Outside Warhammer World there's a big statue of... yes a Space Marine. They symbolise Warhammer to be honest.
Blondshade
Executioner

Post by Blondshade »

Malekii wrote:Sure there's lots of chapters but everyone uses ultramarine (including myself) plus whenever I go to gw all I ever vs are space marines and I have now quit space marine to go elder

Yea I understand why you quit. I don't blame iu. At my gw here's just 500 kids that only play space marines so I switched to fantasy cause my orca and dark elder got tired of only playing 6 yr olds with space marines
Guinea pig hydra
Executioner

Blondshade wrote:Yea I understand why you quit. I don't blame iu. At my gw here's just 500 kids that only play space marines so I switched to fantasy cause my orca and dark elder got tired of only playing 6 yr olds with space marines

All the kids at my GW seem to play Orks :/
Deadlydeception
Corsair

Post by Deadlydeception »

I voted for marines but if I could have voted twice I would have picked imperial guard the second time.
That being said I really don't find that there is any lack of variety when I play 40k. The fact is that there are a huge variety of play styles built in to the five space marine books available. Playing against a drop podding list from the regular space marine codex is completely different than playing against space wolves with T-wolf Cavalry and Longfang squads.
Asikari
Highborn

Post by Asikari »

Calisson wrote:My son started with Dark Angels too, but the rigid constraints of the army book led him to play a regular SM painted in Dark Angels green instead, and he is happy with that, running a motorcycle heavy army with more lee to arrange the army.
Eldars are highly specialized. The selection of the appropriate force depends on the opponent. I was tempted to develop them as a second army... until the Dark Eldar codex was issued. Now, Dark Eldar have an impressive variety of troops to choose from. And they are much more resistant as previously (still not that much... but it's less frustrating as before).

I could handle the constraints of the latest Dark Angles Codex, but the nerfs of 5th edition to landspeeders, and the powercreep of the 5th edition Space Marines has turned me off to them.

The Dark Eldar, on the other hand, with their proliferation of poisoned ranged weapons, will blunt the propensity of others in the local meta to field Wraithlords and greater Daemons.

<insert evil laugh here> :twisted:
"The strength you normally use is like the small visible segment of an iceberg..." Tohei-sensai

"Few problems can't be solved by the judicious application of brute force" Asikari
Danceman
The Devil in Pale Moonlight

Post by Danceman »

We have all armies across our private club. Those armies that aren't collected individually are collected collectively. Not that I play that much but I sure can't complain about the range of armies I face when I do.

So consider one vote a 'blank' vote.

As for myself, I play DE and have a small CSM collection.
"Dying is for fools." - Charlie Sheen
Enkiel
Assassin

Post by Enkiel »

tons of space marines
lots of chaos space marines
lots of Ork.
a little of everything else
Malekii
Shade

Post by Malekii »

Blondshade wrote:

I switched to fantasy cause my orca and dark elder got tired of only playing 6 yr olds with space marines

That and army fluff is what drew me to de

Malekii
Shade

Post by Malekii »

[quote="Guinea Pig ]

You have to keep in mind though that Space Marines are the defining motif of GW. Outside Warhammer World there's a big statue of... yes a Space Marine. They symbolise Warhammer to be honest.[/quote]

Blashemy that statue should be a dark elf.

Blondshade
Executioner

Post by Blondshade »

or squats
Bokerjony
Slave on the Altar

Post by Bokerjony »

thanks for sharing this topic.
cabinets Orlando
Red...
Generalissimo

Post by Red... »

Thanks for necroing a dead thread.

Don't be a munchkin?

Drainial
Prophet of Tzeentch
Prophet of Tzeentch

Post by Drainial »

I have no idea why you felt the need to raise this with a non comment, thread locked. -Drainial
Moding a group of Druchii.net players is much like directing the musical 'Cats' using actual cats. Frustrating, difficult, chaotic but ultimatley satisfying and a great deal of fun.

Arch Deacon of the RPG forum
Gentleman of Moderation