Couple of IG questions

All aspects of Warhammer 40K, from general discussion through to army lists, tactics etc etc.

Moderators: Drainial, The Dread Knights

Brad
Executioner

Couple of IG questions

Post by Brad »

After some 15 or so years of haphazardly collecting IG without any real plan in mind, I'm starting to rebuild them with the plastic Cadians and I've got two questions...

1. What weapons are good for basic infantry squads? Flamers and grenade launchers have the advantage of coming in the box. Just on stats I'd go plasguns all the way, but at 15 pts and gets hot I think they're too expensive. What about heavy weapons? I'm planning on mounting all my squads so they could possibly get away without any heavies at all.

2. Sponsons on (vanilla) Leman Russ tanks - yea or nay? And hull weapon nowadays - HB or lascannon? I'm very tempted to go the standard loadout of hull lascannon and sponson HBs simply for the sake of tradition. With the LR's special shooty rules it makes it a very versatile tank on the attack.

Maybe more Qs to come later...
A missive from the desk of Kylekin, Prince of Nhaeroth, Land of the Setting Sun

8th ed stats (W/L/D)
DE: 1/0/0
DoC: 2/1/0
Empire: 0/1/0
WoC: 0/1/0
Brad
Executioner

Post by Brad »

Thought of another one already...

Does the Valkyrie come with the bits required to make a Vendetta or do I need to get the Forgeworld kit?
A missive from the desk of Kylekin, Prince of Nhaeroth, Land of the Setting Sun

8th ed stats (W/L/D)
DE: 1/0/0
DoC: 2/1/0
Empire: 0/1/0
WoC: 0/1/0
Deadlydeception
Corsair

Post by Deadlydeception »

First of all, congrats on deciding to get your guardsmen organized into an army.

Now on to the questions,

The Valkyrie kit doesn't come with the lascannons you need to make a Vendetta, so you'll have to either buy from forgeworld or else get some heavy weapon teams and convert.

Plasma guns are pretty expensive, so I would probably only take them with squads that have BS 4. If you feel like putting heavy weapons in, I would recommend missile launchers or autocannons. Both are useful for taking out lighter vehicles and possibly shooting troops. Grenade launchers can also be useful because of their versatility, but there is a reason they are so cheap. If you plan on mounting all your squads you might want plasma or melta though so you can pop some tanks.
The way I have my infantry squads set up is I have my first platoon with a grenade launcher and an autocannon/missile launcher. My second platoon combines two squads and gives them two flamers and a commissar.

I haven't ever used Leman Russes, but I think it might be good to get them cheap and just have the heavy bolter on the front.