Beginner's 1000p SM list - feedback please

All aspects of Warhammer 40K, from general discussion through to army lists, tactics etc etc.

Moderators: Drainial, The Dread Knights

Greenwhy
Executioner

Beginner's 1000p SM list - feedback please

Post by Greenwhy »

So I'm a long time fantasy player being coaxed into playing 40k with some of my friends. I've put together a 1000 point list trying to keep it fairly simple and versatile. my aim is to be competitive against as many different opponents as possible while I learn the rules. So I'd like to ask some experienced 40k players what they think my list lacks or where it is weak.

Captain
-combi plasma
-Power Sword

10 Tactical Marines
-multi-melta
-melta-gun
-vet has power fist and combi melta
-rhino

10 Tactical Marines
-plasma gun
-plasma cannon
-vet has power fist and combi plasma

8 Assault Marines
-vet has Power fist

Dreadnoght
-TL lascannon
-missile launcher

Predator
-hvy bolter sponsons

not sure about the predator
not sure about the weaponry on a tactical squads, I figured they should have similar weaponry within a squad seeing as all members have to fire at the same target (right?)
not sure about power fist on the long range squad.
not sure if i have enough anti infantry, perhaps i have too many high AP weapons?

thanks for any comments.
Demetrius
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Demetrius »

I dont think you have too little anti infantry, you have a lot of bolters remember, plasma is great for heavy infantry and the predator works wanders against light-medium infantry.

Only change I'd make is find points for a relic blade on your Captain, everything else looks good.

Also, IMO a dreadnoughts CCW is far too handy to replace with a missile launcher. Its personal preference, but the ML is unlikely to do much, whereas the CCW can give real headaches for enemys once in CC especially to characters.
Meteor
Executioner

Post by Meteor »

have you considered using a drop pod instead of the rhino for the anti tank squad?

I would swap out the plasma gun for a heavy bolter if you're going for anti infantry and remove the combi plasma because well...i don't know, it's one use. The only combi I normally take is a flamer or melta because it only takes one shot to have a devastating effect.

Other than that, there's nothing much else to add. The powerfist on the long range squad is handy for when you end up stuck in combat with something nasty.

The predator is a nice cheap anti infantry platform, but gets popped easily, so remember your cover saves ;)
What's mine is mine, What's yours is mine.
Now that we understand each other, lets get down to business.

Jacks -Shade
- WS 5 - - S 3 - - T 2 - - D 6 - - I 5 -

Equipment
Short Sword, MC Long Sword*, Dagger, RxB & RHB [20/10] MC Shade Cloak, 4 Throwing Daggers, 3x Healing Vials, 451C, [3]Dark Venom, [4]Unseen Chains, Food, Dark Steed- Spike

Skills
Basic Stealth, Awareness, TWF, Suithenlu Khythan, Ride

Magic Item
Eye of the Jabberwock

*Magical properties possibly imbued