Chaos Space Marine Beginner's Advice

All aspects of Warhammer 40K, from general discussion through to army lists, tactics etc etc.

Moderators: Drainial, The Dread Knights

Lepaca
Shade

Chaos Space Marine Beginner's Advice

Post by Lepaca »

Hey all,

I'm currently building a 1000 points CSM list as my first 40k army and I'm looking for some advice.
Fluffwise I want my warband to have mainly have a Slaaneshi background, but they frequently cooperate with servants of the other Chaos gods.

So far I'm thinking about getting:

HQ:

Daemon Prince
Mark of Slaanesh
Wings
Whip

Troops:

2x 5 Plague Marines
2 Melter
Personal Icon
Rhino (Extra Armor? Havoc Launcher?)

Support:

3 Obliterators

Without Rhino upgrades this leaves me at 730 points so I've got some space left to fill. Any suggestions?
Drainial
Prophet of Tzeentch
Prophet of Tzeentch

Post by Drainial »

More troops, as many as you can get. A daemon prince is nice but you need troops to take objectives and space marines of all stripes are damn useful in any case.
Moding a group of Druchii.net players is much like directing the musical 'Cats' using actual cats. Frustrating, difficult, chaotic but ultimatley satisfying and a great deal of fun.

Arch Deacon of the RPG forum
Gentleman of Moderation
Lepaca
Shade

Post by Lepaca »

Would you vote for MSU or large units to get the extra weapon option? Should I get champions and transports for them?
Gnosis
Hard, but Fair

Post by Gnosis »

I use 2x8 CSM with a plasmagun and a Champion with a power fist in both squads, otherwise my list is identical to yours. The results of the list you can see in my sig.
Count them:

Painted in 2013: 500
Painted in 2014: 600
Painted in 2015: 854
Ataroth
Dark Rider

Post by Ataroth »

If you ever play against other MEQ armies then take Thousand Sons. Those AP 3 Bolters and 4++ make them very formidable. Nurgle Bikers can be effective (if expensive) at times as well though beware using it for a lord as it won't protect him from Instant Death. To be honest, there is quite a lot of nasty things in the CSM codex still. 2 Lash Princes/Sorcerers and 2 or 3 Defilers/Vindicators is pretty evil though reeks of cheese.
"Submit To Self Destruction"
Gnosis
Hard, but Fair

Post by Gnosis »

Ataroth wrote:If you ever play against other MEQ armies then take Thousand Sons. Those AP 3 Bolters and 4++ make them very formidable. Nurgle Bikers can be effective (if expensive) at times as well though beware using it for a lord as it won't protect him from Instant Death. To be honest, there is quite a lot of nasty things in the CSM codex still. 2 Lash Princes/Sorcerers and 2 or 3 Defilers/Vindicators is pretty evil though reeks of cheese.

True, but in a 750 point army he already has enough power armour killing going on with the Obliterators and their juicy plasma cannon goodness. At that points cost, Thousand Sons are nigh-impossible to field.
Count them:

Ataroth
Dark Rider

Post by Ataroth »

Since Obliterators became T4 I have to say I tend not to find them that effective anymore, they can be great but ID makes them very vulnerable. Meltas, Eldar Fire Dragons and anything else S8 or above make very short work of them, and they tend to attract a lot of fire power.
"Submit To Self Destruction"
Gnosis
Hard, but Fair

Post by Gnosis »

I'm still getting very good results with them. The thing is, at 750 points there's usually just one long-ranged squad (Devastators, Kabalites with dark lances etc.) I'm facing, and it usually gets lashed out of position before can get a shot off at one of my Obliterators. Same with squads carrying meltas, they usually get pushed back long enough to be safe. Setting them up in cover also improves their chances a bit.
Count them:

Lepaca
Shade

Post by Lepaca »

Just to clearify I want to start a 1000 points army, not a 750 one. ^^
Gnosis
Hard, but Fair

Post by Gnosis »

Lepaca wrote:Just to clearify I want to start a 1000 points army, not a 750 one. ^^

Sorry, got carried away. Towards 1000 points you definitely need to both beef your Plague Marine squads up to 7 or 8 at least and get one more Troops choice - with the rest of your force being the way it is I'd choose either Noise Marines for an anti-horde firebase (fits the theme with your Prince too), or Berzerkers for some assault punch (your Prince usually can't take down tough stuff on his own). Or just go basic Chaos Space Marines, can't go wrong with them either.
Count them:

Lepaca
Shade

Post by Lepaca »

Thanks for your advide. I have however decided not to take Plague Marines after all and instead stick with the Slaanesh theme.

New list:

Prince
Wings
MoS
Whip

5 Noise Marines
Blastmaster

10 Noise Marines
9 Sonic Blasters
1 Champ with E-Weapon
Rhino

10 CSM
2 Melters
1 Champs with E-Fist
Rhino

2 Obliterators

Does that seem solid?
Drainial
Prophet of Tzeentch
Prophet of Tzeentch

Post by Drainial »

Wow this thing is old, Bokerjony please check the date of the last post before raising threads. -Drainial
Moding a group of Druchii.net players is much like directing the musical 'Cats' using actual cats. Frustrating, difficult, chaotic but ultimatley satisfying and a great deal of fun.

Arch Deacon of the RPG forum
Gentleman of Moderation