A couple of general rules questions.

All aspects of Warhammer 40K, from general discussion through to army lists, tactics etc etc.

Moderators: Drainial, The Dread Knights

Lowcash
Cold One Knight

A couple of general rules questions.

Post by Lowcash »

Hello all, I have recently been building up a couple of 40k armies and am still puzzled by some of the basic rules. The first question is about Grenades.
1. The rules on grenades seem very vague, I understand the defensive grenades stop the assaulting force from getting their +1 attack bonus, however, do they do any actual damage? And what do offensive grenades do? The rule book says something about keeping the defenders under cover, but what kind of damage and effect do they have?

2. Close combat weapons. It is my understanding that bolter pistols can be used in close combat and so can various other close combat specific items, but what about assault rifles? For example, lets say some Chaos marines are in close combat with some necron warriors. The Chaon Marines have bolt guns, bolt pistols and close combat weapons and the necrons only have their gauss weapons. The Marines I assume can use their close combat weapons and their bolt pistols correct? What can the necrons use?

Thanks for your help.
“You win battles by knowing the enemy's timing, and using a timing which the enemy does not expect.”

-Miyamoto Musashi
Drainial
Prophet of Tzeentch
Prophet of Tzeentch

Post by Drainial »

Frag grenades do no damage, offensively they ensure that everything is equal when you charge an enemy in cover, their defensive bonus does not apply.

As for the other point the unit must be equipped with an additional hand weapon in order to have an attack higher than their profile so if a unit is armed with pistols and an additional hand weapon they get one more attack apiece, if they are not so armed they simply use the number of attacks on their profile. The necron warriors probably will use the blades on the end of their gauss flayers in combat but as they only have that one weapon which as far as I recall has no special rules in combat they only have 1 attack each.

I hope that clears that up, I have not read my book for quite some time.
Moding a group of Druchii.net players is much like directing the musical 'Cats' using actual cats. Frustrating, difficult, chaotic but ultimatley satisfying and a great deal of fun.

Arch Deacon of the RPG forum
Gentleman of Moderation
Ataroth
Dark Rider

Post by Ataroth »

Frag grenades mean that if you assault an enemy in cover, you strike in initiative order rather than having the I1 penalty. The only time grenades can ever do actual damage is to a vehicle in combat and that's covered on page 63 in the rule book.

Like WFB it's assumed everyone has some means to attack in CC, in your example the Necrons would hit with the sharp end on their gauss rifles more than likely. If a model has 2 CC weapons though or a CC weapon and a pistol then they get +1A to their base A characteristic. For your example again, that means the Bolter for the CSM is essentially ignored in combat and they get 2A, one base and an extra from the 2 CC weapons (unless they charged, then they get 3 each).

Hope that helps!
"Submit To Self Destruction"
Red...
Generalissimo

Post by Red... »

Wow, I've not played 40k in years. It sounds like things have really tanked. I liked the old frag grenades are low strength template weapons and krak grenades are single impact high strength weapons.
"While all answers are replies, not all replies are answers. So answer the question."

Don't be a munchkin?

I am an Extraordinary Druchii Gentleman
Drainial
Prophet of Tzeentch
Prophet of Tzeentch

Post by Drainial »

That was from a missile launcher, he is talking about units equiped with hand thrown grenades.
Moding a group of Druchii.net players is much like directing the musical 'Cats' using actual cats. Frustrating, difficult, chaotic but ultimatley satisfying and a great deal of fun.

Arch Deacon of the RPG forum
Gentleman of Moderation
Red...
Generalissimo

Post by Red... »

Nah, you had both way back then. :) Ah well, I was about 8 at the time I think.
"While all answers are replies, not all replies are answers. So answer the question."

Don't be a munchkin?

I am an Extraordinary Druchii Gentleman
Lowcash
Cold One Knight

Post by Lowcash »

Thanks for clearing this up for me guys. :) I am sure I will have more questions in the future.
“You win battles by knowing the enemy's timing, and using a timing which the enemy does not expect.”

-Miyamoto Musashi