Blam! Here comes the Cavalry!

All aspects of Warhammer 40K, from general discussion through to army lists, tactics etc etc.

Moderators: Drainial, The Dread Knights

Ichiyo1821
Highborn

Blam! Here comes the Cavalry!

Post by Ichiyo1821 »

Hey guys, last August I won our local Fantasy Gladiator Cup and used my prize support to purchase 1/2- 2/3rds of my current Dark Eldar army. This November after my first 40K Grand Tournamnent I was able to grab best general (my army was still unpainted so this was the best I could get hahaha)and again prize support. Now I am starting to build my first army of choice as I simply love their tanks and their flyers, the Imperial Guard! I however hate their infantry but find the DKoK too expensive and hard to come by from where I come from. I was wondering what you guys use as alternatives for your infantry. So far I have 4 Chimeras and 3 Valkyries already, just a couple more heavy support tanks and I am off to get em GIJOES so I am planning ahead.
8th Edition

W/D/L
86/1/5

New AB
W/D/L
32/1/0

9th Age
W/D/L

Vae Victis
Character kill count -182

"To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill."

Armies
Dark Elves
Dark Eldar
Death Korps of Kreig
Kefka
Malekith's Best Friend
Location: That's for you to know and me to find out! Do I get a hint?

Post by Kefka »

I also find the basic cadian troops to be boring, and I love to see other, more unique and interesting armies.

I have seen plenty of good kitbashes between guardsmen and fantasy armies.
Cadians + Empire Flagellants = heretic army
Brettonian men-at-arms with some lasguns = trench warfare WW1
Cadians + Empire greatswords + Chaos Marauders = Valhalla themed army

I am playing around trying to find bits online to make some Native Canadian themed army. I was thinking Catachan bodies and some marauder heads/bodies. I'll need some greenstuff and feathers from empire kits, but I think it will be doable.
The great thing about Guardsmen (and 40k in general) is that you can look back in our history and find a timeline/era that you enjoy looking at and base your army around it. all you need is the right models and some lasguns (shame there is no lasgun bits order online.)

Hope some of these ideas help.

Fiat Obsidian - WS5 / S5 / T4 / D5 / I4
Equipment: Halberd, Zukhil Shield, Bastard Sword, Heavy Armour, Seadragon Cloak, Helmet of Slaanesh, Blackthorn Dagger
Mount: Locke (dark steed)
Gold: 488
Skills: Supernatural Awareness, Defensive Fighting, Intimidate, Drukh Kaganth (1)
Class: Warrior
Ichiyo1821
Highborn

Post by Ichiyo1821 »

I love the DKoK look with the heavy coats and I've pondered doing GS conversions off the Cadians but 100++ infantry it seems impractical...
8th Edition

W/D/L
86/1/5

New AB
W/D/L
32/1/0

9th Age
W/D/L

Vae Victis
Character kill count -182

"To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill."

Armies
Dark Elves
Dark Eldar
Death Korps of Kreig
Gnosis
Hard, but Fair

Post by Gnosis »

Ichiyo1821 wrote:I love the DKoK look with the heavy coats and I've pondered doing GS conversions off the Cadians but 100++ infantry it seems impractical...

Try scrounging High Elf archer legs from friends or Ebay. If I remember correctly there's four extra sets of legs per regiment box, so you ought to find them reasonably smoothly. With a bit of GS and a Cadian torso on top of them they could look the part.
Count them:

Painted in 2013: 500
Painted in 2014: 600
Painted in 2015: 854
Macknight
Beastmaster

Post by Macknight »

check out my guards here for some inspiration:

http://commissar.proboards.com/index.cg ... read=14558

I simply cut away all the aquilla symbols and mix match cadian and catachan minis for the main force.
"It's hell of a thing to kill a man, you take away all he's got, and all he's ever gonna."

Lord of Gluttony, former active member of the 7.