Necrons

All aspects of Warhammer 40K, from general discussion through to army lists, tactics etc etc.

Moderators: Drainial, The Dread Knights

Arggg
Shade

Necrons

Post by Arggg »

Has anyone of you played with or against the 5th necrons?I'd like to start playing necrons and i know nothing about lists or the way they work(first time 40k)so can anyone enlighten me :D?
HATERS<3
http://www.thebrushes.blogspot.com/ - a friend's blog check it :D

[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
The griefbringer
Cold One Knight

Post by The griefbringer »

They're sort of an elite shooting list with a couple nasty CC options. They are generally very durable against enemy shooting, but their basic troops fold in assault pretty quickly.

They can take a variety of unique and powerful HQ choices, have very tough vehicles, and are overall a pretty cool army. I haven't played any Necrons since the new book came out, but I own the codex and have slapped together a variety of lists, and they seem to be a flexible and fun list to mess around with.

Basically, you're going to want a strong core of either warriors or immortals (your call, basically) with an Overlord and a Royal Court comprising a variety of Crypteks. Solar Pulse is really, really good for its points, but you need a Cryptek of Destruction to field one. Then it's a question of whether you want to go mechanized (warriors in Ghost Arks) or something a bit more static.
"Since men love at their own pleasure and fear at the pleasure of the prince, a wise prince should build his foundation upon that which belongs to him, not upon that which belogs to others."

--Machiavelli

Raiding Tally: 173 Slaves, 15 Banners
Arggg
Shade

Post by Arggg »

Thanks for the reply :D,

i don't like the chost ark model too much so sth more statoc :P
I have in mind sth like 3*10 warriors 2*10 tesla immortals 1-2 triarch stalkers with heavy gauss,1 overlord ,2 destruction cryptecs,2 anihilation barrages,tomb blades

I haven;t decides yet...so what do you think for a first 500-1000 list?

Thanks in advance :D :D
HATERS<3

[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
Ataroth
Dark Rider

Post by Ataroth »

I've been playing Necrons for a while and the new book is fantastic. The best things in the list are by far the CCB with a Warscythe wielding Overlord (usually Anrakyr), Scarabs and Wraiths.

Basically Necrons have got a lot more versatility now. Some of our overpowered things from the last Codex have gone (bye bye Living Metal, the old version) yet we have been given a lot to compensate for that. It's a Codex that I personally consider very internally balanced and has a lot of nice combinations. Scarabs and Spyders are great, as well as using Tremor Staves plus Writhing Worldscape. The choice of options are huge and I'd suggest just reading through the Codex making lists that suit your playing style.
"Submit To Self Destruction"
Arggg
Shade

Post by Arggg »

I just bought my first necron warrior box thx for your help but i have some more questions...how CCB works?A list with 2 triarch stalkers is cheesy?Better tesla or gauss immortals?Annihilation or CCB?Any good advise for a good balanced 500 point list?

Thanks in advance :D
HATERS<3

[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
Ataroth
Dark Rider

Post by Ataroth »

The best thing about the CCB by far is the sweep attack. You move over a unit and then you hit it in the movement phase with 3 attacks, either on 3's or 4's depending on how fast you went. These attacks benefit from all CC weapons and abilities. So you know that Land Raider who went 12" last turn, fly over it with a Warscythe Lord for 3A hitting on 4's with S7 plus 2D6 armour pen. As for CCB V Annihilation, take both. They are in different Force Organisation after all.

Just to advertise the CCB even further btw, imagine Anrakyr in the CCB. With that combination you have the potential to do this. Fly over one tank in movement phase and wreck it, possess another tank in the shooting phase to shoot your enemies own men and then assault a different tank in the assault phase, wrecking that. He also has the Tachyon Arrow just in case as well.

For the Stalkers, not cheesy at all mate, they are very good yes, but they are also very fragile. Only one weapon and only the QS as the real protection. Don't forget they only have a basic close combat weapon as well so aren't that good in assault.

Tesla V Gauss is really up to you, depends on your local gaming group. If you play lots of Marines then go for Tesla, if you play lots of Eldar/DE and Tau, then go for Gauss with Phareon Lords.

Sorry for the long post! I like Necrons!
Arggg
Shade

Post by Arggg »

Thx man and you are making me get in love with necrons,too :P.I also joined the necrons foroum.I like the idea of anrakyr he seems very good special char.One more thing and i'll stop :P what about a colour sheme of purple on the outside skeleton areas boltgun metal on the inside skeleton areas and half face white so that the skull is like the punisher symbol?
HATERS<3

[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
Minigrift
... And Hell Followed

Post by Minigrift »

Hey!

I started 40k just a few months ago and I chose Necrons to be my first army!

Consider consolidating your 3 units of 10 warriors into two units of 15. More survivable and more likely to kill bigger units with a single volley of fire.

Tesla Carbines are pretty great. You can either take a unit of 10 with a Veil of Darkness Cryptek - basically teleport around the table shooting anything at will - or a Transmogrification Cryptek which makes any unit they shoot at move through difficult terrain to slow them down. Seismic crucible will also help if/when they do finally get into assault range!

I find Guass Blasters better used when a Phaeron accompanies the unit, Relentless is awesome. 20 S5 shots then assaulting with Mindshackle Scarabs can do a lot of damage to lots of things - just be careful not to assault anything that is going to kill you (Thunder Hammer/Lightning Claw Terminaters, for example).

Haven't used a CCB much as my main opponent doesn't use any vehicles.
Nathra Severain - Shade (Group 38)
WS:5 S:4 T:2 D:6 I: 3
Skills; Acrobatics; Basic Stealth; Free Running
Equipment: Longsword; Shurikens (6/10); Shade Cloak; Asur Arm & Leg Armour Plates; Misericorde; Gutting Knife
Inventory; Ornate Tiara; Sword Belt; Asuri Orb; 106 gold
Arggg
Shade

Post by Arggg »

Thx dude :D

So i will need 2 crypteks with veil of darkness one i each immortall unit and 1 lord with res orb also in each unit right?1 Overlord with warscythe and res orb and mindshacle scarabs in the warriors? 6-12 scarab bases in units of 4?1-2 triarch stalkers?Are Arks necessary?anrakyr on CCB seems great too(killing and controling machines just awesome!).I'd like to play a heavy shooting list with close combat only when necessary so the aboves seems ok.
what do you think?
HATERS<3

[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
Ataroth
Dark Rider

Post by Ataroth »

Might be a bit overkill to place a Res Orb Lord in every unit you have mate. They aren't exactly cheap for a single wound model and I usually save them for the more elite units like Deathmarks or Lychguard. As for the Veil, bear in mind you can only take 2 in the entire army, and even then only if you have 2 Overlords (including the Overlord characters)

If you're going quite mech heavy though (as you mentioned the love for Triarch Stalkers) I'd suggest building a few Doomsday Arks and Ghost Arks. Both are pretty useful.

Can't help you much with painting, tis entirely your call.
Arggg
Shade

Post by Arggg »

Ok i think i'll grab the battleforce and more immortal boxes for now and i'll make some crypteks from the deathmark heads and bodies and take the overlord from the CCB

Thanks for the help :D :D
Now time to paint more warriors so cheers :P
HATERS<3

[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
Minigrift
... And Hell Followed

Post by Minigrift »

Two units of Immortals with the Veil of Darkness might be a bit much, one should be plenty fun to use ;)

Not everyone is a fan but I love Destroyer Lords and I always take one! Warscythe with the ability of re-rolling misses is amazing, add in the cumpolsory Mindshackle Scarabs and he's a killing machine - earns well over his points back almost every time :twisted:

The only vehicles I've been using are the Annihilation Barges, everything else is foot-slogging. At least two is recommended!

Scarabs are best used either in units of 3 to give your own troops cover or in units of 6+ to take down any vehicular type threat, or just to hold up a unit for a turn or two (Devastators are a good example)!

Hope it goes well for ya :P
Equipment: Longsword; Shurikens (6/10); Shade Cloak; Asur Arm & Leg Armour Plates; Misericorde; Gutting Knife
Ataroth
Dark Rider

Post by Ataroth »

MiniGrift wrote:Not everyone is a fan but I love Destroyer Lords and I always take one! Warscythe with the ability of re-rolling misses is amazing, add in the cumpolsory Mindshackle Scarabs and he's a killing machine - earns well over his points back almost every time :twisted:

I do love Destroyer Lords but only when backed up with Praetorians or Wraiths. On his own he's too vulnerable. It sucks that you can't give him an invulnerable save to him. Also the fact that you can't use a Court with him either is a major downside. Still they are very useful when combined with the aforementioned 2 units.
Arggg
Shade

Post by Arggg »

I dont like the destroyer lord model(one of my bad habits,can't easily use a model i don't like even if its great in game :/).
I decided to use doomsday ark cause i like the cannon in this model is like that if you would hit by this you will disintigrate :P.
One of my big problems is the overlord built...I was thinking of sth like Res orb,MSS,phase shift,warscythe and 2 crypteks one with veil of darkness with my immortals or if i decide to use deathmarks with them and the other with eldrict lance and gaze of flame with one warriorr unit.I decided not to use lych guard(very expensive),2*6 scarab bases should be ok,1-2 triarch stalkers are ok too,i thinked again about annihilation barge and i'm not sure about it.

I also read more about the specail chars and i like anrakyr,zandrekh and obyron...who do you think is the best for the list i intend to play and whats your opinion about doom scythe?

Thank you in advance :D

(P.S:Sry for the bad english :P )
HATERS<3

[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
Ataroth
Dark Rider

Post by Ataroth »

The special characters are interesting though again to get the main benefit out of them they use specific tactics or lists built around them.

Anrakyr I think is the best allrounder, as I previously mentioned when placed in a CCB he is a beast. Your opponent will probably know this though and try to take him down quickly, especially annoying is the fact he also has no invulnerable. He benefits lists with Immortals thanks to the Phyrian Eternals as well which is a nice add on.

Trazyn is a bit of a mixed bag, some love him and some hate him. I personally love him. His CC ability is ace against armies like Nids or Orks, yet it suffers from not being a PW. Also the fact he is scoring is a really big deal considering 2/3 of 40K games are objectives. He's best used in a decent sized unit of Lychguard though, with a Lord and maybe a Cryptek to back him up. Then you have a very powerful scoring unit (albeit expensive) If you aren't using Lychguard though, don't bother with him.

Zandrekh and Obyron are again very useful, especially when combined together. A common trick is putting Zandrekh in a Nightscythe/CCB and zipping him towards the enemies most powerful unit. Then take Obyron in either a full court or maybe Deathmarks, teleport right next to that unit and unleash hell. Can be very fun. Also Zandrekh can give the Nightscythe/CCB that he is in Stealth meaning you get a 3+ cover save for moving 24". Sneaky.

Imotekh is a bit poor in my opinion. The night fighting rule is ok, but very situational. I've used him in games many times and never got a single lightening strike. Especially annoying considering he blocks your own units as well. His Bloodswarm scarabs ability is pants as well as Flayed Ones just aren't worth it anymore. In general he isn't my fave. Some players have had him work, but he's always performed poorly for myself.

Orikan has one use only, for Temporal Snares on the first turn when combined with a C'tan with Writhing Worldscape. That's about it. :p He does have a few other tricks though, and when he goes UBER it can be very funny.

I've never used Szeras so can't comment.

Hoped that helped!
Arggg
Shade

Post by Arggg »

Thx :D
I think better use Zandrekh and/or obyron Adaptice and counter tactics are very good skill also obyrons improved veil of darkness will work great with the list i am thinking of using...the only problem 350 HQ points and i need also 2 crypteks for 95 points so nearly 450 points and a res orb lord almost 500 points...very expnsive and then 500 points on warriors ,360 on immortals,90 for CCB,175 doomsday,350 2 triarchs,and 2*6 scarabs 180 points so 2155 points...do you think it will work?Or better drop sth?
HATERS<3

[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
Minigrift
... And Hell Followed

Post by Minigrift »

Ataroth wrote:
MiniGrift wrote:Not everyone is a fan but I love Destroyer Lords and I always take one! Warscythe with the ability of re-rolling misses is amazing, add in the cumpolsory Mindshackle Scarabs and he's a killing machine - earns well over his points back almost every time :twisted:

I do love Destroyer Lords but only when backed up with Praetorians or Wraiths. On his own he's too vulnerable. It sucks that you can't give him an invulnerable save to him. Also the fact that you can't use a Court with him either is a major downside. Still they are very useful when combined with the aforementioned 2 units.

In my games one royal court has been plenty. Bear in mind that, so far, I've only played 1,500 points and only played about a dozen games of 40K ever. One RC has been plenty for me, though, so far ;)

Praetorians seems far to expensive for what they do so I built some Lychguard with swords and shields instead. Bit of a mixed bag thus far, but I do enjoy playing with them. Wraiths I simply do not have the models for (am waiting for GW to release new ones which I have read they are due to do quite soon) but they are one unit that I am itching to try!

Arggg! Your army is much different to mine so can't give specific advice beyond what I have already said ;)

I will say this, Annihilation Barges are fantastic and at only 90 points they are quite undercosted in my opinion. My freind has developed a deep-seated hatred for mine, I tend to get at least 8-10 S7 shots every turn which just annihilates his units :twisted:
Ataroth
Dark Rider

Post by Ataroth »

arggg wrote:.the only problem 350 HQ points and i need also 2 crypteks for 95 points so nearly 450 points and a res orb lord almost 500 points...very expnsive and then 500 points on warriors ,360 on immortals,90 for CCB,175 doomsday,350 2 triarchs,and 2*6 scarabs 180 points so 2155 points...do you think it will work?Or better drop sth?

Biggest problem with the Necron Codex mate, too many good units and not enough to points to play with! Tbf with that list I'd probably just drop the Warriors, you have 860 points on troops. Don't really need that many.
Arggg
Shade

Post by Arggg »

Ataroth wrote:
arggg wrote:.the only problem 350 HQ points and i need also 2 crypteks for 95 points so nearly 450 points and a res orb lord almost 500 points...very expnsive and then 500 points on warriors ,360 on immortals,90 for CCB,175 doomsday,350 2 triarchs,and 2*6 scarabs 180 points so 2155 points...do you think it will work?Or better drop sth?

Biggest problem with the Necron Codex mate, too many good units and not enough to points to play with! Tbf with that list I'd probably just drop the Warriors, you have 860 points on troops. Don't really need that many.
Man tou are in my mind so many great things...not enough points to spare.I'll drop warriors and maybe some immortals too,also 2 triarchs are a bit too much,i think one will be ok :P
HATERS<3

[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]