Helping the Tau

All aspects of Warhammer 40K, from general discussion through to army lists, tactics etc etc.

Moderators: Drainial, The Dread Knights

Mrdark12
Shade

Helping the Tau

Post by Mrdark12 »

Hey guys,
I've been gaming 40k for nearly three years (wow, has it been that long) and I am an avid Tau player with a Deathwing army on the side.
I have been fairly successful with my Tau beating most of the Marine armies, Nids and Eldar but I am still struggling, was wondering if anyone can give me some tip on beating armies like Mech-guard or Dark Eldar and if anyone else here plays tau as a main army.
Thanks guys.

My normal army list is:
Shas'El with Targeting array, PL, BC and Multi-tracker
3 Crisis battlesuits, 3 PLs, Fusion blaster, missile pod, BC and 3 multi-trackers
3 Crisis battlesuits, 3 PLs, Fusion blaster, missile pod, BC and 3 multi-trackers
8 FWs with Shas'Ui, Devilfish, Targeting Array, Multi-tracker, D-pod
8 FWs with Shas'Ui, Devilfish, Targeting Array, Multi-tracker, D-pod
3 Broadside battlesuits, Team leader, 3 target locks, drone controller 2 Shield drones
3 Broadside battlesuits, Team leader, 3 target locks, drone controller 2 Shield drones
Last edited by Mrdark12 on Thu Apr 05, 2012 3:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ataroth
Dark Rider

Post by Ataroth »

Wait and pray for a new army book soon. :p

In all seriousness though, if you're managing to do alright and fairly successful with them then that's probably as far as you can get. They are well known for being one of the weakest armies in 40K right now and with Mech Guard being incredibly strong anyway you'll struggle. All I can suggest is doing what Tau do best, trying to out gun your opponent. The DevilFish tactic is still quite effective against more assault based armies.
"Submit To Self Destruction"
Kabbala
Warrior

Post by Kabbala »

Not knowing your typical army list, if you don't already, invest in some Kroot squads to screen your Tau from assault. DE shouldn't be much of a problem, as the raiders and ravagers will fall easily to your big guns. Once they're walking, the rest of the shooting should do the trick.

But as Ataroth states, if you're doing well now, it may just be a tactics issue. Just keep up the good work.
Ataroth
Dark Rider

Post by Ataroth »

Your lists looks pretty decent tbf. Only problem is it relies heavily on the Broadsides for the main long range fire power. It's incredibly similar to my friends Tau list and 90% of games he plays, everyone targets the Broadsides first. I personally play Crons so it's not that hard for us to bring enough fire power to take them down. Also with only 16 FW in the whole list I can imagine you might be finding it hard in objective games.
"Submit To Self Destruction"
Mrdark12
Shade

Post by Mrdark12 »

Yeah, objective match's are a problem, and I think every tau player has the broadside problem, its so easy to stuck into using silly amounts of them. As for objective games I mainly focus on trying to kill off my opponents ability to hold objectives.
Mindrazored
Shade

Post by Mindrazored »

Dont be afraid to assualt with your Battlesuits! There S5 with A3 on the charge. Now im not saying charge incubi or assault marines, but if theres only 3 marines left in a squad you were shooting at, charge em! Thats 9 S5 attacks!
My Druchii: 5/0/6

Im A Proud Member of the League of Extrordinary Druchii Gentleman