Horus Heresy board game

All aspects of Warhammer 40K, from general discussion through to army lists, tactics etc etc.

Moderators: Drainial, The Dread Knights

Kinslayer
Roleplaying Deity
Roleplaying Deity

Horus Heresy board game

Post by Kinslayer »

Has anyone else played this game? I know it is old news now but I haven't seen much talk of the game since it was released a couple of years back. I've just bought it and I have to say it is already my favourite board game, any fan of the books or just 40k in general should probably give it a go. I played three games so far which have all taken around 3 hours to complete and all of which are of the first basic scenario, but all of which played out very differently.

Game one was with my brother, and he managed to hold out until the very end of the initiative track even though I was closing on the space ports. As we were both just learning the game in this one I think we made a few little mistakes which maybe altered the outcome, but that was to be expected.

We then played a rematch where I was once again the Traitor and this time he gained victory by killing Horus. He had The Emperor and Sanguinius both teleport up onto the Vengeful Spirit with a load of troops forcing me to have Horus drop pod down onto Terra. Unfortunately the Arch Traitor landed right in the closing noose of a trap by Jaghatai Khan and Dorn.

Game three was against my girlfriend with my brother helping her get a basic grasp of the game most of the way through... this was probably the closest I came to victory because I had secured three space ports pretty early on and had flooded the Imperial Palace with troops by the end of the game. I reckon I was three or four moves away from either taking the final space port or finishing off the Emperor, but again the Initiative Track reached its end and she won.

Has anyone else had any good games they remember? There is a battle report by Bell of Lost Souls on youtube I've watched.
Kinslayer
Roleplaying Deity
Roleplaying Deity

Post by Kinslayer »

And just to prove that the game is not at all one sided, game four was a much better outcome for the traitors. I played my girlfriend again and despite her best efforts Horus and his legions took over the map one subtle act at a time. I ended the game by taking all four space ports, but already had the Emperor wounded and on the run by that point. It's a brilliant game... now to try out warhammer invasion!